Round the world on American President Line

Woofbite

Okay, it isn't Holland America, but while cleaning out some old storage boxes I discovered a brochure for the next round-the-world sailing of the SS President

Roosevelt beginning October 24, 1968 with four complete 90-day itineraries to choose from. 

Sounds like some fabulous ports but the pricing is out of my range.  Prices start at $2,600 per person for an inside cabin and range up to a ridiculous $7,420 for a Lanai cabin.

At least they are limiting the passenger list to 275 for "maximum service, maximum comfort".  (And probably to ensure proper social distancing as well.)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

In 1968 both my parents were educators working in South Dakota.  My father was a principal and was paid $10,000 for a full year contract and my mother was paid $7,000 for a ten month contract. ( I have a copy of my parent's financial aid application for my college)   A lanai cabin was a years salary for a teacher in 1968.  Would an average teachers salary pay for a  lanai cabin on a 90 cruise today?  

6 hours ago, WisRiver said:

In 1968 both my parents were educators working in South Dakota.  My father was a principal and was paid $10,000 for a full year contract and my mother was paid $7,000 for a ten month contract. ( I have a copy of my parent's financial aid application for my college)   A lanai cabin was a years salary for a teacher in 1968.  Would an average teachers salary pay for a  lanai cabin on a 90 cruise today?  

Yes, and then some. An average teacher salary for a year would more than cover a balcony cabin for 180 days on a world cruise.

6 hours ago, HAL4NOW said:

Yes, and then some. An average teacher salary for a year would more than cover a balcony cabin for 180 days on a world cruise.

Depends or where you live. There are many places where teachers make less than 25-30k a year before taxes. Many have to work a second or even third job to make ends meet, especially if a single parent.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

Depends or where you live. There are many places where teachers make less than 25-30k a year before taxes. Many have to work a second or even third job to make ends meet, especially if a single parent.-

The national average teacher salary for public school teachers was almost $62,000 for the 2018-2019 school year. I never made that as a teacher in a private school, and I know many teachers that don't make that much, but even at $30,000 a teacher's salary would cover a balcony on a number of world cruises that range from 90-111 days. Teacher salaries have risen faster than cruise costs.

• Like 1

Here is a photo my late father took of President Roosevelt getting ready to sail from Pt. Everglades on one of these World Cruises.

The Australis ex-America is in the background also calling on a RTW itinerary.

We were visiting the old Queen Elizabeth that was briefly a tourist attraction there.

The start of my interest in ocean liners and cruising.

9D4A7396-9643-4529-A7A6-24F2C1A201BE.jpeg

• Like 3