Galveston Port (from Houston Airport) with toddler

vegas82

Hello

I wasn't sure if this forum was right to post in, I also posted in Family Cruising, so if one needs to be deleted, please do so.

We are booked on a 5 night Royal Caribbean cruise (Adventure of the seas) on Nov 17, 2021 out of Galveston. We are flying from Northern Alberta to get to the port, so our packing is limited to airline allowances.  We plan to arrive in houston the night before. As of now, it looks like our flight would get in around 8pm.  

Our son will be 21 months at the time.  So these are my questions, lol

-would it be better to stay in Houston, and travel to Galveston in the morning or go straight to Galveston for the night and have more time in the morning before boarding? Google shows its about an hour ride.

-Are there car services from houston airport to galveston that provide carseats?

-do we bring a carseat in the event we need to take a shuttle?
-has anyone rented a car in houston airport, and dropped it off at the pier? I know that way we could have a carseat included.  Can we also pick up a carseat from the pier?

-Does RC provide transfer to houston airport at disembarkation?

Thanks!

~K

I would stay in Houston. You are scheduled for arriving at 8pm. Assuming you are on time, you won't be out of the airport by 8:30-9:00. I would find an airport hotel to stay in.

For shuttles, there is no accommodation for car seats. You will need to hold the 21 year old. You might be able to find a car service that will have car seats.

I believe RCI offers transportation to/from Houston. Since you are coming from Canada (based on your profile) I assume you will be flying into IAH. Note that Houston does have two airports. However, the second airport is mainly Southwest Airlines.

I would stay at one of the airport hotels.  There are a lot to chose from and pick one with a free shuttle.  That  gives the option of going back to the airport to pick up a port shuttle or private ride.   There are numerous threads about Houston port shuttles in the past but nobody knows yet which ones will still be in business when things get back to normal.   Check back here to find the best options.  One thing to think about is after a long flight with a small child, getting off the plan, luggage, catching a ride (uber, lyft  or taxie then an hour plus car ride you are not going to get to your room n Galveston until after 11pm.  A lot of stress on a little one. I would also bring your car seat with you.  airlines will check it for you.  

There is/was a shuttle service from IAH to the port / or return - https://galvestonexpress.com

Cost is/was like $35 (USD), service to an airport hotel is additional cost (~$30) I think. Talk to them directly about Child car seats.

I concur that probably best to stay at /near the airport. Probability of delay getting to the port from the airport area is minimal, and airport hotels are probably much cheaper than weekend Galveston resort town hotels. If planning on staying near the airport and using the Express shuttle - maybe check with the shuttle service as to which IAH hotels they service, and advice on reasonable departure flight time for the return. Travel time is about an hour. 

Remember - You will be on an international ticket - you need to check in your luggage at least 2 hours before the flight - Don't ask me how I know...