What do you think this letter from Ponant means? (Pre-Booking stateroom for replacement for cancelled cruise)

AussieBoyTX

Our December 2020 cruise in the Seychelles was cancelled and we received the letter below. Note the text highlighted in yellow.

• First off, we were not contacted and by the time we noticed, not only were the staterooms we booked already taken, but the Ponant Discount had already been reduced to 25%.
  • The 2020 cruise was $13,289.50. The quote we were given for the same cruise in 2021 was $17,994.00 and it has since risen to about $24,000.
  • The people at US Reservations we've spoken with don't know anything about the letter below. We wrote to Ms. Lelièvre in Marseille last month and did not receive a response.
  • We had five Ponant cruises cancelled in the past twelve months and this is the only one that had a letter like this attached to the cancellation.

So, the highlighted language is vague and is probably subject to some translation issues. My interpretation would have been that we would have been contacted before sales started to be booked on the 2021 cruise and we would have been placed in the same cabins as 2020 for a fare, more-or-less the same as 2020 ($13,289.50). 

Cruise Critic braintrust, what do you think Ponant meant? Can you suggest someone else to contact?

Marseille, October 23rd, 2020

Dear AussieBoyTX,

PONANT's top priority has always been to ensure the safety and comfort of its passengers and to offer you beautiful destinations, rich in discoveries and surprising stopovers. These are the pillars on which we have built our reputation, as well as the exclusivity of our sailings and the quality of the travel experiences we have been providing for more than 30 years.

PONANT was one of the first companies in the world to resume operations last July. Since then, we have been constantly optimizing our control of the risks associated with Covid-19. Our protocol has been continuously operated, tested and improved. As we face a second wave of this global pandemic, the international conditions are becoming more complex. Also, to ensure the safety and security of our passengers, crew members, and local people, we have made the decision to temporarily stop part of our cruises for winter 2020.

It is with great disappointment that we had to make the decision to cancel your cruise aboard the Bougainville from Victoria, Mahé on December 16. 2020.

We are confident in the future and have taken the liberty of pre-booking your Stateroom on the same departure next year, without any fees or surcharges. We will have the pleasure of contacting you personally, before sales open to the general public, so that we can confirm the new date of your future cruise, at the same time, for the same duration and the same itinerary as your now cancelled cruise.

We offer our sincerest apologies to this event beyond our control. Beyond that, we have decided to offer you an exceptional commercial gesture of 20% credit of the amount paid for the booking of your cruise. Thus for the contract  # XXXXXX  modified on 23/10/2020 because of COVID-19, the amount of your funds paid is:$xxxx.xx (the cancellation bill is attached) plus the credit of 20% (i) is usable in the next 24 months from 12/16/2020 (ii) can be used for any other destination, (iii) can be spread over several trips both on cruise, pre- or post-stay, excursions or flights, (iv) can be transferable to a member of your family, (v) can be used with all other discounts in progress.

While waiting to welcome you on board in conditions of excellence and safety, I wish you and your family and loved ones an excellent winter.

Mathilde Lelièvre

Director Customer Relations

I see on the French tripadvisor site that there is a complaint (well, at least 2 actually) pretty much similar to yours;  no response from head office and elevated prices for the rollover cruise that is not covered by the 20% credit.  Don't feel you're being discriminated because you are not and don't speak French!

My wife and I were going to book an Antarctic cruise on the repo from Hawaii to Japan 2 years ago (right at this time) but the cruise consultant was "too busy" to accommodate any booking requests (and there were only some 70 pax onboard).  Soooooo glad I didn't give them any money!

Edited by cruising cockroach
  • Like 1

We finally got our money back from Ponant after they cancelled the replacement cruise, and have decided that we will not book directly with Ponant in the future.  In addition to the problems getting our money back, I am not confident that English-speaking guests receive sufficient value on a Ponant cruise.  In future if a Ponant itinerary appeals, I will look for a US-based group like Tauck that offers a shore excursion package and an onboard liaison (and US cancellation terms).

• Like 1

6 hours ago, gogo65 said:

Aussieboy, are you located in the US or Australia? Ive have a contact from the Asia pacific region, I’m happy to provide but assume it will only be worthwhile if you booked in Australia.

Hi gogo65. I'm stuck in the US for now and purchased here. 😞

Oh buggar.

Prior to Covid we had a Ponant cruise cancelled from Reykjavik to Quebec (2019). We had booked all our flights (two one ways from Sydney), had private tours booked in Iceland prior and Canada post. Originally they weren’t very forthcoming on compensation because they gave us 9 months notice, we dealt with the AP yacht club manager (we’d previously sailed with them to Antarctica) who was very accommodating, upped our compensation, paid out every single cent we lost etc. couldn’t fault how she managed it. 
hence us booking with them again for the Kimberley’s. 

• Like 1

FYI, we got through to the director of the US Call Center and the matter was quickly and amicably resolved to our satisfaction. We're confirmed on Zanzibar and the jewels of the Indian Ocean, Victoria, Mahé - Zanzibar, 12/16 - 12/28, 2021.

• Like 1