Iceland's Natural Beauty General - 2022

TayanaLorna

10 minutes ago, NeilP57 said:

31/7 Departure Shore Excursion Update.

In the UK things went slightly different. I was able to log on to MVJ and see the excursions and times at 5:00pm (UK time).

However, i was told that online booking is currently not available and I was to ring Viking for assistance.

I got through reasonably quickly and after coming out of MVJ myself, a very helpful assistant (Geoff) was able to make all the booking I required and to take payment.

I was then able to see my Shore Excursions in the Calendar and the payment was only taken once.

However, I am very surprised by the discrepancy between the UK and US prices. The £ price was considerably greater than the $ price that was shown on the pdf of ShoreX that was published on the general thread a week or so ago.

Perhaps one of the US passengers on this cruise could tell me how much the following excursions are in $ when booked for this specific cruise ie 31st July departure. In that way when I raise the issue with Viking in London I can highlight the exact discrepancy between $ and £ for exactly the same excursion.

Day 2 - Golden Circle (£264)

Day 3 - Vigur Island (£159)

Day 4 - Northern Icelands Natural Treasures (£199) 

Day 6 - Ice Lagoon by Zodiac (£394)

Day 7 - Coastal Heimaey by RIB (£234)

From the PDF of ShoreX circulated previously the $ pricing was as follows but it would if these could be confirmed as the prices paid for this departure.

Day 2 - Golden Circle ($199)

Day 3 - Vigur Island ($119)

Day 4 - Northern Icelands Natural Treasures ($149) 

Day 6 - Ice Lagoon by Zodiac ($299)

Day 7 - Coastal Heimaey by RIB ($179)

Now my guess is that somebody in the UK has got confused when using their calculator and did the incorrect calculation for converting $ pricing into £ as the ratio for all of them is in the 1.31 to 1.34 range. Whilst the £ is a little stronger than that at the moment circa $1.4 to the £, it would not be unreasonable to use a 1.32 fx rate to convert the dollar ShoreX pricing.

If this is the case no doubt Viking will quickly agree the error and refund me the difference but before I write to them it would be good to have confirmation of the $ pricing for exactly the same excursions on the 31/7 departure.

Obviously if this is not an error and indeed Viking are charging UK customers 75% more for exactly the same excursion then there may be a very different conversation but to start with I will give Viking the benefit of the doubt and look to them to review the pricing and give a refund.

I don't notice any price change for the July 31 sailing.  See below screenshots from MVJ.

image.png.ae4ef74c56ad4b89dd4026030c9d97b9.png

image.png.1b1e42f20aa593f08f8334c8ab2cf7ea.png

image.png.b1b2b80a10fdf66ba0e3207704bb7be0.pngimage.png.1b1e42f20aa593f08f8334c8ab2cf7ea.png

image.png.d888d26a0153fc997258efe4f01f295c.png

image.png.b6ea2e77ef96b37258208692d3a913f2.png

Edited by sleepybobo
  • Thanks 1

Thank You, so that removes the slight possibility that the demand for cruise ship excursions had pushed up prices to a great extent, so that just leaves the calculator mistake theory or the Viking profiteering theory. 

We all accept that the cruise price itself is difficult to compare between markets but the ShoreX should be reasonably consistent.

• Like 1

Just now, NeilP57 said:

Thank You, so that removes the slight possibility that the demand for cruise ship excursions had pushed up prices to a great extent, so that just leaves the calculator mistake theory or the Viking profiteering theory. 

We all accept that the cruise price itself is difficult to compare between markets but the ShoreX should be reasonably consistent.

I think a overworked staff may have reverse the currency conversion formula.  If it turns out to be the case, don't know whether to laugh or be upset about it.  

20 minutes ago, NeilP57 said:

Obviously if this is not an error and indeed Viking are charging UK customers 75% more for exactly the same excursion then there may be a very different conversation but to start with I will give Viking the benefit of the doubt and look to them to review the pricing and give a refund.

Those are the correct US pricings for the July 13 sailing.

1 minute ago, sleepybobo said:

I think a overworked staff may have reverse the currency conversion formula.  If it turns out to be the case, don't know whether to laugh or be upset about it.  

I really think this is the case. I have just been through all the screen shot material you posted and the $:£ is all about 1.31-1.34. I also note that the Akureyri Wilderness by 4*4 is not being offered on the 31/7 departure.

I will contact Viking in the UK tomorrow and ask them to review their prices. 

I will also make a post on the 24/7 and 27/7 departures roll calls to see if I can find any UK passengers to see what they paid for their ShoreX that was released last week. These dates being the only ones ahead of my cruise offered in the UK.

Edited by NeilP57

2 hours ago, philw1776 said:

My GUESS:
Viking takes us 6AM and later arrivals directly to ship. Departing guests all confined on lower decks 1-3 as usual assembling to leave. Cabins being cleaned per usual.
New arrivals all on Deck 7: Aquavit, World Cafe, Pool, Wintergarden, Explorer waiting for cabin cleaning. Eating at World Cafe, Pool Grill etc.
Maybe by 11AM to noon as disembarkers have all left they open up the normally closed for lunch restaurant for a special lunch, or not.

I think that's a VERY good guess!

• Like 1

Neil

Same problem on 24th July sailing. I spoke to Viking on Monday, not aware of error. I followed up with email and still waiting for reply.

We had exactly the same on Viking Venus UK cruise last week. When we got on board where prices are quoted in dollars, they were nearly half prices on MVJ. They were aware of this on the ship but seem to have made the same mistake again!

Thanks Dave that is reassuring (i think).

I am sure that Viking will get there in the end. I have also sent them a message tonight via a contact form on the website and will follow up with a call on Friday if I have not heard anything tomorrow.

I guess as a last resort I could cancel the ShoreX 48 hours out and rebook them onboard in dollars but I am confident it will not come to that. I have currently paid out £2,500 for our excursions, which is about £1,000 more than it should be. Maybe I can persuade them to comp' me a drinks package as compensation for the hassle, especially as they appear to have been giving those away to our US passengers recently.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NeilP57 said:

31/7 Departure Shore Excursion Update.

In the UK things went slightly different. I was able to log on to MVJ and see the excursions and times at 5:00pm (UK time).

However, i was told that online booking is currently not available and I was to ring Viking for assistance.

I got through reasonably quickly and after coming out of MVJ myself, a very helpful assistant (Geoff) was able to make all the booking I required and to take payment.

I was then able to see my Shore Excursions in the Calendar and the payment was only taken once.

However, I am very surprised by the discrepancy between the UK and US prices. The £ price was considerably greater than the $ price that was shown on the pdf of ShoreX that was published on the general thread a week or so ago.

Perhaps one of the US passengers on this cruise could tell me how much the following excursions are in $ when booked for this specific cruise ie 31st July departure. In that way when I raise the issue with Viking in London I can highlight the exact discrepancy between $ and £ for exactly the same excursion.

Day 2 - Golden Circle (£264)

Day 3 - Vigur Island (£159)

Day 4 - Northern Icelands Natural Treasures (£199) 

Day 6 - Ice Lagoon by Zodiac (£394)

Day 7 - Coastal Heimaey by RIB (£234)

From the PDF of ShoreX circulated previously the $ pricing was as follows but it would if these could be confirmed as the prices paid for this departure.

Day 2 - Golden Circle ($199)

Day 3 - Vigur Island ($119)

Day 4 - Northern Icelands Natural Treasures ($149) 

Day 6 - Ice Lagoon by Zodiac ($299)

Day 7 - Coastal Heimaey by RIB ($179)

Now my guess is that somebody in the UK has got confused when using their calculator and did the incorrect calculation for converting $ pricing into £ as the ratio for all of them is in the 1.31 to 1.34 range. Whilst the £ is a little stronger than that at the moment circa $1.4 to the £, it would not be unreasonable to use a 1.32 fx rate to convert the dollar ShoreX pricing.

If this is the case no doubt Viking will quickly agree the error and refund me the difference but before I write to them it would be good to have confirmation of the $ pricing for exactly the same excursions on the 31/7 departure.

Hi Neil

I am not sure which cruise you are on but we are also on the UK with the same problem. The typical increase in price to UK customers is around 90%. The response from Viking so far is that it has been referred to Basel for an immediate resolution. Immediate to me is rather quicker that it seems to be taking. Several of us have raised this with Viking. It is a broader problem than just our cruise. The Scenic Shores cruisers have the same problem and have been only allowed to book excursions on board at the correct dollar price.  I suspect that it is a coding problem in MVJ and that instead of dividing the dollar price by the exchange rate it is multiplying. This is causing the 90% difference in pricing. I suspect the bigger problem is not admitting there is a problem but knowing how to reverse the incorrect charges! I am sure we will hear soon but it is unusual for Viking to take so long to recognise their mistake.

4 minutes ago, robinhood1 said:

Hi Neil

I am not sure which cruise you are on but we are also on the UK with the same problem. The typical increase in price to UK customers is around 90%. The response from Viking so far is that it has been referred to Basel for an immediate resolution. Immediate to me is rather quicker that it seems to be taking. Several of us have raised this with Viking. It is a broader problem than just our cruise. The Scenic Shores cruisers have the same problem and have been only allowed to book excursions on board at the correct dollar price.  I suspect that it is a coding problem in MVJ and that instead of dividing the dollar price by the exchange rate it is multiplying. This is causing the 90% difference in pricing. I suspect the bigger problem is not admitting there is a problem but knowing how to reverse the incorrect charges! I am sure we will hear soon but it is unusual for Viking to take so long to recognise their mistake.

I should write to them right away and join the rest of us!! I would not cancel them until you get on board if that is the last resort, as others will snap up your bookings. I We are on the 24th July so it will be sorted I am sure before you go. Our charges are very similar to yours and we have some travelling companions in a similar place. I am not sure if you can send me a private message - if so I have some contact details at Viking you can use. I also have some of the prices which I can share with you. 

Edited by robinhood1
incomplete

9 minutes ago, robinhood1 said:

I am sure we will hear soon but it is unusual for Viking to take so long to recognise their mistake.

Thanks for sharing your experience and views. I agree it is not like Viking and deep down I am confident that Viking will acknowledge the error and correct it. 

The only unknown is how long it will take and how much noise we will need to make to get the error acknowledged and corrected. 

As I said above, I have about 1000 good reasons to make a lot of noise! 

On 6/8/2021 at 2:30 PM, bardstowntraveller said:

Does Viking do anything special if you are celebrating a special occasion. We will celebrating our anniversary onboard

Go to a live chat or call Viking and inform the rep. It will be added to your Viking invoice, but there will be no charge. You will get an updated invoice to show it has been recorded. I informed Viking on a previous cruise. Didn’t get updated invoice as I did this time, but we found a nice cake and bottle of champagne in our stateroom. Enjoyed sharing with the 2 other couples we were traveling with. 

5 hours ago, philw1776 said:

My GUESS:
Viking takes us 6AM and later arrivals directly to ship. Departing guests all confined on lower decks 1-3 as usual assembling to leave. Cabins being cleaned per usual.
New arrivals all on Deck 7: Aquavit, World Cafe, Pool, Wintergarden, Explorer waiting for cabin cleaning. Eating at World Cafe, Pool Grill etc.
Maybe by 11AM to noon as disembarkers have all left they open up the normally closed for lunch restaurant for a special lunch, or not.

That is a creative and interesting solution to the question of turning the cabins around for the next cruise. 
For those of us sailing on June 26, it may be an easier process since the ship will

have been in port since 8:00 AM, June 24 according to whatsinport.com. Suites may all be ready when we arrive. Time will tell. 

Things to do before or after the cruise -

There's a new Spa/ Lagoon just outside of Reykjavík called the Sky Lagoon.  We just booked this to do on embarkation day.  If you're looking for something to do before or after the cruise and you don't want to do the Blue Lagoon, you might want to check this one out.  Looks pretty nice.

24 minutes ago, Tarheel1952 said:

We will be on the Aug 31st cruise.  From what I am reading, we can use US Dollars for tips on shore.  Otherwise, credit cards are prevalent.  Has anyone else checked into this?

I've read that tipping is unusual and not expected in Iceland.  Having never been I cannot verify this for sure, but that's what all my guidebooks say.  They also say credit cards are very widely accepted even in taxis.

Just my opinion...

I would not go thru the extra expense of exchanging currency.

Unless you are staying in Iceland beyond the cruise, you can get by with dollars or euros for small tips and credit cards with no foreign transaction fees.

And asking about the amount of currency other people might exchange should not be used as a "guide".

• Like 2