Iceland's Natural Beauty General - 2022

TayanaLorna

44 minutes ago, shans said:

Do you think your $600 difference was due to an additional discount you may have received for being a past passenger or a referral bonus applied to your booking?

$200 of the $600 was due to being a past passenger. The other $500 was a “booking” discount offered to everyone at that time. See screenshots below of the website today and of our invoice. 

E93996EC-C827-4E6A-A43F-48C8A8B399E1.jpeg

E91E7E9C-E656-42A5-AE88-64245AEF4721.jpeg

Just read on the infamous Face app Friends of Viking that Iceland has delayed waiving entry COVID testing for vaxed folk  from 15 June until 1 July. We're on the 3 july sailing.
https://www.visir.is/g/20212121051d/haetta-ad-skima-bol-usetta-og-born-um-manada-motin?fbclid=IwAR3uVYBMQG5bzkUoj6JmPru-Z7VQVTk31mFtK9f_FE67bCeiOeGfeFMNtUc

Don't have English translation.

8 minutes ago, philw1776 said:

Just read on the infamous Face app Friends of Viking that Iceland has delayed waiving entry COVID testing for vaxed folk  from 15 June until 1 July. We're on the 3 july sailing.
https://www.visir.is/g/20212121051d/haetta-ad-skima-bol-usetta-og-born-um-manada-motin?fbclid=IwAR3uVYBMQG5bzkUoj6JmPru-Z7VQVTk31mFtK9f_FE67bCeiOeGfeFMNtUc

See post four back #1699. 

1 hour ago, JM0115 said:

According to www.visir.is, Iceland will drop the testing requirement at the border on July 1. It was previously supposed to be June 15th.  Hopefully they will not postpone this further.

https://www.visir.is/g/20212121051d/haetta-ad-skima-bol-usetta-og-born-um-manada-motin

Here is a similar new article in English. https://icelandmonitor.mbl.is/news/news/2021/06/11/testing_of_vaccinated_travelers_to_cease_in_iceland/

I still have not seen it announced on the covid.is site.

44 minutes ago, philw1776 said:

You inspired me to find the group on that unmentionable website. Is there a (sane) reason why there are 3 different groups for Viking? Are they all basically the same? [If I'm stepping on a landmine here, please just tell me and I'll nuke this post]

24 minutes ago, Peregrina651 said:

I still have not seen it announced on the covid.is site.

The is an announcement tab at the top of the official site.  There is a June 11 announcement about EU vax certificates, but that’s all.  Nothing about pushing back the stop testing date to July 1.  But I imagine it is true.  Oh well…

13 minutes ago, FoggyEthan said:

You inspired me to find the group on that unmentionable website. Is there a (sane) reason why there are 3 different groups for Viking? Are they all basically the same? [If I'm stepping on a landmine here, please just tell me and I'll nuke this post]

Viking River & Ocean Cruise Friends is well moderated. Admin occasionally posts photos here.
Other site run by a TA
ANYONE can start a group

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JER/MPR said:

Does anyone know when and how we will be providing proof of vaccination to VO?

Can't say exactly what Viking will accept for US residents, but the airlines will accept a copy of the CDC vaccination card  and if not on the card, the address of the final vaccination station. We used a copy of the appointment slip for the address but I think all you need is to know is the name and city of facility.

As stated by others, you can use the VeriFly App. My experience with VeriFly is it is not worth the effort and at best, it will save you a few seconds at embarkation.

40 minutes ago, SantaFe1 said:

The is an announcement tab at the top of the official site.  There is a June 11 announcement about EU vax certificates, but that’s all.  Nothing about pushing back the stop testing date to July 1.  But I imagine it is true.  Oh well…

It isn't 6/15 yet, so they still have time to add the announcement before the extension period begins.

At least this given anyone who had made plans for a pre-cruise day of touring time to cancel those plans in a timely manner. And hopefully, the July 3 people get enough time to re-work any plans that need to be re-worked.

While waiting for Chef's Table menus to be posted on MVJ I'll share my predictions:

My Chef's Table Prediction:

Saturday: Sardines a la Iceland

Sunday: Reindeer goulash

Monday: Seal stew

Tuesday: Cheek of Fermented Cod

Wednesday: Volcanic braised Sheep

Thursday: Puffin under glass 

Friday: Eider Duck Czech style

• Like 3
  • Haha 8

4 hours ago, johnnyswitzerland said:

A few shore excursion questions for this very knowledgeable group…

1. Seems some have had better luck booking shorex by calling Viking directly rather than using the MVJ system.  Can folks who booked using a travel agent call Viking for that purpose?  Or does everything have to go through the agent?  Thanks!
  2. Any insight/help/advice for an Iceland newbie torn between the sights of Lake Myvatn and the Húsavik baths?  Fortunately it seems that on either excursion, one gets to experience Godafoss falls.  👍

Thank you, all, so much!  This thread is the best!

I haven't been to either place, and never even visited the Blue Lagoon (other than the outside) when we were in Reykjavik several years ago.  However, I'll give you my two cents' worth on the two excursions you mention.  I just chose the "Northern Iceland's Natural Treasures" that includes Lake Myvatn because there appear to be a number of unusual sights in that area - lava beds (although there's more of that in Heimaey!), plus hot sulfuric mud springs, and birds (at the lake itself, though not sure if year round) in addition to Godafoss.  After reading about the area in a Bradt guide book on Iceland, it sounds like a great excursion, although the whole area is very large, so perhaps we'll just get quick views of the places mentioned in the excursion.  But that excursion sounded really good to me. 

I'm not all that excited about waterfalls in general, although I have to admit that the one on the Golden Circle was fabulous.  So seeing Godafoss, while definitely a plus to me, was only part of the appeal of "Natural Treasures."  As for thermal baths, as I hinted before, I'm not totally drawn to them, so I didn't do much research into the various baths in iceland.  But I did read a mention in a Lonely Planet guide book of a place just north of Husavik called "Geo Sea." (See geosea.is).  It sounds like a somewhat new and minor attraction compared to whale watching and other sights in and around Husavik. And as for the Vok Baths offered in another location, not Akureyri, I did see a drone picture of the Vok Baths, and I wasn't too impressed.  They just didn't seem the least atmospheric, but perhaps I'm being too cynical! 

You MAY be able to find more info on Akureyri attractions (and Reykjavik and Isafjordur) in the Ports of Call section of Cruise Critic. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

I haven't been to either place, and never even visited the Blue Lagoon (other than the outside) when we were in Reykjavik several years ago.  However, I'll give you my two cents' worth on the two excursions you mention.  I just chose the "Northern Iceland's Natural Treasures" that includes Lake Myvatn because there appear to be a number of unusual sights in that area - lava beds (although there's more of that in Heimaey!), plus hot sulfuric mud springs, and birds (at the lake itself, though not sure if year round) in addition to Godafoss.  After reading about the area in a Bradt guide book on Iceland, it sounds like a great excursion, although the whole area is very large, so perhaps we'll just get quick views of the places mentioned in the excursion.  But that excursion sounded really good to me. 

I'm not all that excited about waterfalls in general, although I have to admit that the one on the Golden Circle was fabulous.  So seeing Godafoss, while definitely a plus to me, was only part of the appeal of "Natural Treasures."  As for thermal baths, as I hinted before, I'm not totally drawn to them, so I didn't do much research into the various baths in iceland.  But I did read a mention in a Lonely Planet guide book of a place just north of Husavik called "Geo Sea." (See geosea.is).  It sounds like a somewhat new and minor attraction compared to whale watching and other sights in and around Husavik. And as for the Vok Baths offered in another location, not Akureyri, I did see a drone picture of the Vok Baths, and I wasn't too impressed.  They just didn't seem the least atmospheric, but perhaps I'm being too cynical! 

You MAY be able to find more info on Akureyri attractions (and Reykjavik and Isafjordur) in the Ports of Call section of Cruise Critic. 

Oh, and Godafoss is also visited on the "Waterfall of the Gods and Icelandic Farm Life" excursion.  I think someone told me earlier that this excursion was fairly good.  The Farm Life part is about turf farming, and I believe partly outdoors.  My spouse chose this excursion, as the one I chose was a little too long for him.

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, philw1776 said:

While waiting for Chef's Table menus to be posted on MVJ I'll share my predictions:

LOL!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, philw1776 said:

Too funny. I think I will pass on the Chef’s Table. Someone else can have my reservation slot. 🤣🤣

1 hour ago, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

Thank you so much for the thoughtful and thorough reply, @IWantToLiveOverTheSea!  I was thinking a relaxing afternoon at the baths either in Husavik or Vok would be a nice break from the heavy touring we're planning to do elsewhere throughout the trip.  I, like you, was less impressed with Vok, which is why I'm considering sacrificing Lake Myvatn for Husavik.  I do agree there seems to be a great deal of variety in the Myvatn area so would be a shame to miss!  Decisions decisions…  😀

On 6/10/2021 at 4:24 PM, NeilP57 said:

Thanks for this, I have just had a look and hey have been corrected on the 31/7 departure as well. I wonder how long it will take them to get in touch and refund me the £1,044 they overcharged me?

If it's anything similar to my situation, it'll take weeks for your refund.👎🏻

They "accidentally" charged my checking account twice and after numerous calls, messages & emails I was finally refunded over $2400 about three weeks later. I asked for some sort of compensation due to the fact it was Viking's mistake and the answer was no. Oh well 🤷🏼‍♀️

24 minutes ago, Seaharvest said:

Too funny. I think I will pass on the Chef’s Table. Someone else can have my reservation slot. 🤣🤣

I'm with you...someone else can have my spot at the Chef's Table.  Are you sure they aren't having the sheep's head one night????   In reading the food they eat..I think I will pass. 🙂  Seriously, I am glad you are not determining our menu on this cruise.   

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, philw1776 said:

Don't forget all the foams and sorbets!  Perhaps fermented shark foam and hotdogs parfait...

• Haha 7

1 hour ago, johnnyswitzerland said:

Thank you so much for the thoughtful and thorough reply, @IWantToLiveOverTheSea!  I was thinking a relaxing afternoon at the baths either in Husavik or Vok would be a nice break from the heavy touring we're planning to do elsewhere throughout the trip.  I, like you, was less impressed with Vok, which is why I'm considering sacrificing Lake Myvatn for Husavik.  I do agree there seems to be a great deal of variety in the Myvatn area so would be a shame to miss!  Decisions decisions…  😀

I've been to Husavik and the Myvatn area and plan to return to both during our land-based trip later this month. With limited time, I'd choose Myvatn -- the volcanic landscape around the lake is spectacular, plus the thermal area a few miles away is more varied and interesting than Geysir along the Golden Circle. Try to stop by the Vogafjos Farm where you can watch cows being milked while you eat.

https://www.vogafjosfarmresort.is/en/service/restaurant

• Like 2