Norwegian Fjords

A bit difficult to compare Northern Lights cruise, Midnight Sun and deep fjords

1 hour ago, bguppies said:

Scenic Sailing: Norwegian Inside Passage

It's the first time I've heard of the 'Norwegian Inside Passage' and I don't know what it covers, but I assume it's about the 'Tjeldsundet' between the Lofoten islands and the mainland, but I don't understand how it should take two days. 

Are any oither fjords accesible from any of the other ports via excursion? Any other must do's in any of these ports?

Excursion to Lysefjord from Stavanger 

OK judging by the days, it seems that Alta and Tromso must be in the Artic Circle and staying 2 days to allow for night watching of the Lights?

Pretty good chances - bur I assuming that the ‘Norwegian Inside Passage’ also is inside the Arctic Circle.

I'd personally prefer to cruise a deep Fjord (which I know this cruise has none) even if you could 100% guarantee me seeing the Northern Lights.

Absolutely no chance for Northern Lights in Southern Norway and most cruises are during summer - northern lights only when it’s dark inside the Arctic Curcle.

I'm assuming Lofoten, Tromso and Honningsvag are all in the artic circle to see the midnight sun?

Correct

What would the weather be in southern and northern Norway in the last two weeks of June ?

Would a few weeks earlier or later improve the experience much over thye end of June?

It can be cold or warm - it can by rainy  - a week earlier or later will not make any changes.

In northern Norway there will still be snow - worm clothes, hat and mittens required.

1 hour ago, ElizaSTN said:
  • Celebrity Apex out of Southhampton, visting Bruges, Flam, Geiranger, Bergen (July 20.)  We'd been in a standard balcony cabin (or perhaps an aft balcony.)

• MSC Virtuosa out of Southhamption, visiting Haugesund, Alesund, Flaam, Stavanger (August 31.)  We'd be in a balcony cabin in the Yacht Club.

Both cruises are quite late in the season - it may happen that there is not much water in rivers and waterfalls.

Bruges is not in Norway, but Haugesund is not the most interesting port in Norway either.

Flåm and Geiranger are deep fjords with scenic cruiseing

From Stavanger possible excursion to Lysefjord.

Bergen is a very nice coastal city with many good sights.

My choice is Celebrity Apex despite the stop in Bruges - IMO Bergen is better than Ålesund

1 hour ago, hallasm said:

Both cruises are quite late in the season - it may happen that there is not much water in rivers and waterfalls.

Bruges is not in Norway, but Haugesund is not the most interesting port in Norway either.

Flåm and Geiranger are deep fjords with scenic cruiseing

From Stavanger possible excursion to Lysefjord.

Bergen is a very nice coastal city with many good sights.

My choice is Celebrity Apex despite the stop in Bruges - IMO Bergen is better than Ålesund

Thank you!!

I'm seeing now that there is a June sailing on the Virtuosa that stops in Olden, Flaam, Haugesund, and Stavanger.  Miss Bergen, but would that be preferable to sail in June?

Edited by ElizaSTN

This seems like pretty close to perfect for me, I just can't find a similar cruise for 2025 yet.

Sky Princess Apr 27-May 5, 2024

Sat London (Southhampton)

'Sun Sea Day

Mon Haugesund

Tue Geiranger

Wed Olden

Thu Skjolden (SogneFjord)

Fri Stavenger (Lysefjord)

Sat Sea Day

Sun London

Is this cruise, 4 Fjords out of 5 days or is it a possible 5 out of 5? (I know nothing about Haugesund)

3 minutes ago, bguppies said:

Is this cruise, 4 Fjords out of 5 days or is it a possible 5 out of 5? (I know nothing about Haugesund)

Haugesund and Stavanger are coastal cities. No scenic fjord cruising - however possible excursions to Lysefjord from Stavanger - separate sailing.
Haugesund is a small city - not that many options.

Geiranger, Olden and Skjolden are scenic deep fjord cruising - in the early morning when entering the port and again in the evening - same fjord sailing morning and evening.

Geiranger is my favorite with nice view points  - Olden has Loen Skylift and Briksdal Glaicier.

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, hallasm said:

Haugesund and Stavanger are coastal cities. No scenic fjord cruising - however possible excursions to Lysefjord from Stavanger - separate sailing.
Haugesund is a small city - not that many options.

Geiranger, Olden and Skjolden are scenic deep fjord cruising - in the early morning when entering the port and again in the evening - same fjord sailing morning and evening.

Geiranger is my favorite with nice view points  - Olden has Loen Skylift and Briksdal Glaicier.

Thanks for all your input...

It is incedibly helpful for everyone to have their best possible vacation.

Edited by bguppies
  • Thanks 1

On 3/9/2023 at 10:19 PM, hallasm said:

Absolutely no chance for Northern Lights in Southern Norway and most cruises are during summer - northern lights only when it’s dark inside the Arctic Curcle.

In summer you sure cannot see Northern Lights in Southern Norway (or elsewhere), but I wouldn't use such strong language that there is no chance to see them there, granted the sufficiently strong magnetic storms occur rarely and even then clouds may obstruct the view to the night sky. Just couple weeks ago the space weather had so strong magnetic storms that one could see Northern Lights even on the latitudes of The Netherlands. But certainly the best chances to see auroras are in latitudes above the Arctic Circle (and from (late) autumn to (early) spring).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hezu said:

but I wouldn't use such strong language that there is no chance to see them there, granted the sufficiently strong magnetic storms occur rarely and even then clouds may obstruct the view to the night sky. Just couple weeks ago the space weather had so strong magnetic storms that one could see Northern Lights even on the latitudes of The Netherlands.

My answer must be seen in the context of the questions asked.  
I am aware that in a strong magnetic storm it is possible to see the Northern Lights far to the south -  I saw the Northern Lights in Denmark last week, but I would never think of or suggest taking a cruise in southern Norway with the aim of seeing the Northern Lights.

• Like 3

Sadly won’t be able to do the Nutshell trip to Bergen when we disembark in Oslo. Just not enough time.  Are you aware of any “day” type cruise of the fjords starting in Oslo? We could see the Oslofjord but I’m wondering if there’s a secret opportunity to see a bit more in a single day.  Thanks,

6 hours ago, Sujormik said:

Are you aware of any “day” type cruise of the fjords starting in Oslo?

yes, many possibilities - Oslo Fjord is not part of what we traditionally understand about the deep Norwegian fjords on the Norwegian west coast - a completely different experience.  Link to options.

For a more detailed answer I think you should post yourOslom question Here:

• Thanks 1

Hello Experts, Any comments on this itinerary? Seems like a good mix based on what I read here but appreciate any other insight. This is Jun 30 this year.

London (Dover) > Bergen > Alesund > Molde > Olden > Cruise Nordfjord > Skjolden > Cruise Sognefjord > Haugesund > End: London (Dover)

On 3/8/2023 at 3:19 PM, hallasm said:

Excellent analysis.  

Personally, however, I believe that there is a difference between sailing with a cruise ship through the deep fjords in the early morning or late evening rather than a day trip to, for example, Nærøyfjord or Lysefjord.  

You’re missing Lustrafjorden into Skjolden 

A few comments:

I would prioritize Nærøyfjord and Aurlandsfjord higher than Lysefjord.  While Nærøyfjord is an excursion, the cruise ship is actually cruising through Aurlandsfjord to enter Flåm.  

I would also prioritize sightseeing in Bergen more than an excursion to Hardangerfjord.

I can see your point in that your itinerary gives you the opportunity to visit several Norwegian fjords, but I would argue that the itinerary only includes one deep fjord into Flåm  - the other fjords require a longer excursion.  

I can  recommend a Geirangerfjord excursion from Ålesund while I would spend the day in Bergen. Then your itinerary include three fjords.

But since from 2026 there will be restrictions on cruise ships sailing in Geirangerfjord, Nærøyfjord and Aurlandsfjord, it will be relevant with excursions  if you want to visit these fjords from 2026.

Your opinion on the original itinerary I posted:

Day 1: Southampton (London)

Day 2: Sea Day

Day 3: Stavanger (7-5)

Day 4: Flåm (8-5)

Day 5: Alesund (8-6)

Day 6: Bergen (7-2)

Day 7: Sea Day

versus this one:

Day 1: Southampton (London)

Day 2: Sea Day

Day 3: Bergen (12-8)

Day 4: Skjolden/Sognefjord (8-4)

Day 5: Olden (8-5)

Day 6: Stavanger (10-5)

Day 7: Sea Day

Thoughts? No option for Geirangerfjord on latter. 😞

11 hours ago, NightOne said:

Thoughts? No option for Geirangerfjord on latter.

In the new itinerary, there are two deep fjord sailings into Olden and Skjolden - Olden has the Loen Skylift viewpoint and the Briksdal glacier (you can arrange trips yourself) - activities in Skjolden are more limited.  
Olden is a good substitute for Flåm.  Ålesund is a picturesque coastal town - Skjolden has a scenic fjord sailing.

There is no immediate option for Geiranger 

6 hours ago, hallasm said:

In the new itinerary, there are two deep fjord sailings into Olden and Skjolden - Olden has the Loen Skylift viewpoint and the Briksdal glacier (you can arrange trips yourself) - activities in Skjolden are more limited.  
Olden is a good substitute for Flåm.  Ålesund is a picturesque coastal town - Skjolden has a scenic fjord sailing.

Thanks for the follow up. I think Geiranger is pretty high on the must see list but would you recommend the first or second itinerary overall? :)

20 minutes ago, NightOne said:

Thanks for the follow up. I think Geiranger is pretty high on the must see list but would you recommend the first or second itinerary overall? 🙂

Honestly I think Olden might be a pretty good substitute for Geiranger.

When I have to choose a cruise the date and ship also play a role.  All other things being equal, I would choose an itinerary with most fjords.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi. I'm considering options for a cruise for my mother's 80th birthday in late September. She's not very mobile and she seems to want to watch the scenery float by her balcony. In theory, she wants to see the fjords (we've been to Oslo and Bergen before). I think she would also be excited to see the Northern Lights (she's a night owl). Our last cruise was in the Caribbean in MSC's Yacht Club. She got a bit spoiled, and only left the ship briefly for MSC's private island. Now she's bored with the Caribbean and wants to go somewhere else. Are the fjords a good option? Do any ships have enclosed balconies so that she won't get too cold? Would the excursions be too much for her? Would Alaska be better? Which cruise line? (We can probably afford Cunard, but not Oceania, Viking, or Regent.) Any other suggestions? Thanks!

12 hours ago, PennyHofstader said:

I'm considering options for a cruise for my mother's 80th birthday in late September

I cannot comment on specific cruise lines like MSC, Oceania, Viking, or Regent. Others might comment but then you should maybe post a specific subject for the cruise lines question.

Just a few things to be aware of. September is a good time for northern lights but the deep Norwegian fjords are in southern Norway while the northern lights are in northern Norway - very few cruises include both the deep fjords and northern lights.

In general, the cruise ships sail overnight and are in port during the day - this requires you to be up early in the morning or in the evening to see the coast when the ship sails.

An option you might consider is Hurtigruten or Havila - they have a fixed schedule with daily departures from Bergen to Kirkenes (6 nights) or return (11 nights) - giving you the opportunity to see nature up close as the ships sail most of the time. Please note that these are not traditional cruises but ships on a regular schedule, but Havila in particular has brand new and comfortable ships with a good panoramic lounge - The food served on board is also excellent.

You can find out more about Hurtigruten and Havila here:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/663-hurtigruten/

Edited by hallasm
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, hallasm said:

I cannot comment on specific cruise lines like MSC, Oceania, Viking, or Regent. Others might comment but then you should maybe post a specific subject for the cruise lines question.

Just a few things to be aware of. September is a good time for northern lights but the deep Norwegian fjords are in southern Norway while the northern lights are in northern Norway - very few cruises include both the deep fjords and northern lights.

In general, the cruise ships sail overnight and are in port during the day - this requires you to be up early in the morning or in the evening to see the coast when the ship sails.

An option you might consider is Hurtigruten or Havila - they have a fixed schedule with daily departures from Bergen to Kirkenes (6 nights) or return (11 nights) - giving you the opportunity to see nature up close as the ships sail most of the time. Please note that these are not traditional cruises but ships on a regular schedule, but Havila in particular has brand new and comfortable ships with a good panoramic lounge - The food served on board is also excellent.

You can find out more about Hurtigruten and Havila here:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/663-hurtigruten/

Thank you! I did some web searching after I posted and found Havila. I think that Mom would love it! I'm still considering Alaska with a mass market cruise line as more affordable in terms of our overall travel budget. 

11 hours ago, suehal said:

Could you give me some ideas for Haugesund? We're visiting Bergen, Olden and Geringer, and there seems to be plenty to do at these stops.  

Unfortunately, Haugesund is one of the less interesting places to visit in Norway - I don't have any good suggestions - below some links for inspiration.

You’re right - much better opportunities in Bergen, Olden and Geiranger. Do not miss the scenic sailing into Olden and Geiranger in the morning - you should plan to be at upper decks at sunrise (4:30 am) - same sailing in the evening however dining and entertainment in the evening.

https://www.fjordnorway.com/en/destinations/haugesund-haugalandet

https://cruise-norway.no/destinations/haugesund/

https://www.visitnorway.com/listings/explore-haugesund-and-it-surroundings-by-rib-viking-adventure/224291/?lang=uk

• 4 weeks later...

We are on an Oceania cruise in Norway, late July. Are the shore excursions really worth it or it’s just cruising through the fjords the real highlight? The ships excursion to the Birksdahl Glacier is very expensive. Can we do it on our own? Is it totally worth it?

On 3/29/2023 at 2:53 AM, hallasm said:

Can you give me some web sites to arrange the glacier in sky lift trip on my own?