Norwegian Fjords

I am booked on a Silversea Norwegian cruise in June 2024(!), and would like some advice on the excursions in Flåm. When I started thinking about Norwegian cruises many years ago, I really wanted to do the railway, but there are some other choices that also interest me. Any help would be appreciated.

free (included) excursions - first one is included, another has a cost

·         Hop on-board and embrace the exquisite natural splendour of Flåm and its environs during this panoramic ride aboard the Flåm Railroad. Highlights of your half-day excursion include the Flåm River, Rjoande and Kjosfossen Waterfalls, Vidmesnosi and Myrdalsberget mountains, Naali Tunnel, and the Vatnahalsen Hotel for coffee, tea and waffles. Points of interest seen on this excursion include: Flåm Railway and River, Rjoande and Kjosfossen Waterfalls, Vibmesnosi and Myrdalsberget Mountains, Naali Tunnel, Vatnahalsen Hotel (4 hours)

·         Experience the spectacular mountains, fjords, valleys and waterfalls of Norway during this panoramic sightseeing tour. Your half-day excursion features a host of exquisite natural sights, including Flåm, Aurlandsfjord, Gudvangen, Nærøyfjord, Oppheim Lake, the Nærøy Valley, Tvinde Waterfall, Stalheim Hotel and Museum, and more. Points of interest seen on this excursion include: Flåm, Aurlandsfjord, Gudvangen, Nærøyfjord, Nærøy Valley and River, Glashamaren, Oppheim Lake, Tvinde Waterfall, Stalheim Hotel and Museum, Tunnels, Waterfalls (4 hours)

·         Embark on a scenic journey by land and water through fjords, as well as charming Nordic towns amidst stunning panoramic views as you drive to the Stegastein viewpoint. Begin with a cruise of the majestic Nærøyfjord, a branch off of Sognefjord, one of the world's longest and deepest fjords that is filled with the most impressive scenery imaginable. Be sure to bring your cameras for the sweeping, panoramic views offered at the Stegastein viewpoint. Points of interest seen on this excursion include: Sognefjord and Nærøyjord (UNESCO World Heritage), Village of Aurland, Stegastein Viewpoint (4 hours)

·       Experience the spectacular mountains, fjords, valleys and waterfalls of Norway during this panoramic sightseeing tour. Your half-day excursion features a host of exquisite natural sights, including Flåm, Aurlandsfjord, Gudvangen, Nærøyfjord, Oppheim Lake, the Nærøy Valley, Tvinde Waterfall and the new Voss gondola. Points of interest seen on this excursion include: Voss Gondola, Flåm, Aurlandsfjord, Gudvangen, Nærøyfjord, Nærøy Valley and River, Oppheim Lake, Tvinde Waterfall, Waterfalls (4 hours)

·         Experience the spectacular mountains, fjords, valleys and waterfalls of Norway during this panoramic sightseeing tour. Your half-day excursion features a host of exquisite natural sights, including Flåm, Aurlandsfjord, Gudvangen, Nærøyfjord, Oppheim Lake, the Nærøy Valley, Tvinde Waterfall and the new Voss gondola. Points of interest seen on this excursion include: Voss Gondola, Flåm, Aurlandsfjord, Gudvangen, Nærøyfjord, Nærøy Valley and River, Oppheim Lake, Tvinde Waterfall, Waterfalls (5 hours)

optional (extra cost)

·         Explore the panoramic mountain region surrounding the Sognefjord during this memorable sightseeing tour by coach and rail. Your full-day excursion begins with a picturesque and exhilarating journey aboard the Flåm Railway. Ride the steep, winding roads around mountains, through tunnels, and past gushing rivers and waterfalls. Upon arrival at Myrdal Station, board the Bergen Railway for the panoramic ride to Voss, lunch at Fleischers' Hotel or the Park Hotel, and some free time at your leisure. Next, visit the spectacular Tvindefossen Waterfall. A photo stop at Gudvangen is included. Points of interest seen on this excursion include: Flåm and Bergen Railways. Myrdal, Voss, Tvindefossen Waterfall, Nærøy Valley, Stalheimskleivene, Gudvangen, Mountains, Rivers, Valleys, Waterfalls (7 hours)

Edited by gnome12

• 2 weeks later...

Loving this thread and just read through all the posts. I'm looking into a Norway, Iceland or Greenland cruise. After reading the posts I should probably just focus on one place at a time. I know nothing about any of the ports or places so starting my research now for July/Aug 23 possibly maybe July/Aug 24.

A few questions:

When I'm looking at itineraries how do I tell if it's a port that we are docking and getting off at or just sailing through?

On "stops" that are fjords, are the times listed the time you enter and leave that area? Do you just kind of float around the whole time? 

If it's raining does that hamper a lot of what you can see?

Can you see everything from your balcony or do you need to be on top of the ship?

Is cruising the best way to see the Fjords? Meaning if I flew in and did a land tour would other small boats do trips there as well?

Sorry if these seem like silly questions I've just never taken a cruise where you don't get off in a port.

5 hours ago, styme123 said:

When I'm looking at itineraries how do I tell if it's a port that we are docking and getting off at or just sailing through?

Port stops are full day stops - in the itinerary you’ll have arrival in the morning and departure in the evening. In some  ports a lot of possibilities for excursions (train rides, view points, glaciers).  Other ports tiny towns with limited activities. Check the ports.

Some ports are coastal cities - others located in the deep fjords where you have scenic cruising in the morning when entering and in the evening when leaving..

5 hours ago, styme123 said:

On "stops" that are fjords, are the times listed the time you enter and leave that area? Do you just kind of float around the whole time? 

Times are for stops where you can leave the ship and explore the area for the day.

6 hours ago, styme123 said:

If it's raining does that hamper a lot of what you can see?

Yes. In general the weather is fine in June, July and August. But there might be rain.

Can you see everything from your balcony or do you need to be on top of the ship?

For the full view at the top of the ship. I prefer the view from the top deck when entering the fjords in the morning.

Is cruising the best way to see the Fjords? Meaning if I flew in and did a land tour would other small boats do trips there as well?

Cruising is a good way to see the fjords, but you can arrange train rides and boat trips and see the fjords. An option is “Norway in a Nutshell

Sorry if these seem like silly questions I've just never taken a cruise where you don't get off in a port.

Very good questions - preparation is key. Norway fjords itineraries are very different. 

Examples of ports in the deep fjords are Flåm, Geiranger and Olden. Nice coastal cities are Bergen, Ålesund and Stavanger. 

An alternative to the ‘mainstream cruise lines’ is Hurtigruten - this is a coastal ferry service from Bergen to Kirkenes  - 34 port stops in six days. One longer stop each day - and back to Bergen.

The deep fjords are in southern Norway - north of the Polar circle is the main attraction midnight sun in June and July.

13 hours ago, hallasm said:

An alternative to the ‘mainstream cruise lines’ is Hurtigruten - this is a coastal ferry service from Bergen to Kirkenes  - 34 port stops in six days. One longer stop each day - and back to Bergen.

The deep fjords are in southern Norway - north of the Polar circle is the main attraction midnight sun in June and July.

Started to look into Hurtigruten and do some mock bookings. With the add-ons of excursions the price really jumps a bit.

13 hours ago, hallasm said:

8 hours ago, styme123 said:

Started to look into Hurtigruten and do some mock bookings. With the add-ons of excursions the price really jumps a bit.

Yes. Excursion are expensive. In general Norway is expensive. You might find same prices if you look at cruise line excursions. Also note that all Hurtigruten prices are inclusive tax and fees. No additional tipping. 

Try to compare prices in NOK at the Hurtigruten Norwegian site. Tend to be lower priced.

Edited by hallasm

17 hours ago, styme123 said:

If you consider Hurtigruten my proposal is to fly into Oslo - take the train from Oslo to Bergen with a detour to Flåm - stay one or two nights in the Flåm area with boat tours at the fjords.

Then few nights before Hurtigruten from Bergen to Kirkenes. FROM Kirkenes flight back to Oslo. I would only arrange for two excursions - one at Lofoten Islands and one to North Cape - in June July you’ll have midnight sun from Lofoten Islands to Kirkenes.

And also the option to explore Oslo.

Another thought. If flying Iceland Air to Oslo you might also stay few days in Reykjavik.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, hallasm said:

If you consider Hurtigruten my proposal is to fly into Oslo - take the train from Oslo to Bergen with a detour to Flåm - stay one or two nights in the Flåm area with boat tours at the fjords.

Then few nights before Hurtigruten from Bergen to Kirkenes. FROM Kirkenes flight back to Oslo. I would only arrange for two excursions - one at Lofoten Islands and one to North Cape - in June July you’ll have midnight sun from Lofoten Islands to Kirkenes.

And also the option to explore Oslo.

Another thought. If flying Iceland Air to Oslo you might also stay few days in Reykjavik.

Thank you so much for the feedback. For the two excursions you suggested, did you mean take only those the ones while onboard the ship?

1 minute ago, styme123 said:

For the two excursions you suggested, did you mean take only those the ones while onboard the ship?

Yes,

if Hurtigruten you’ll navigate Geiranger Fjord (no excursions) as well as Trollfjord - longer stops where you can explore cities like Trondheim, Bodø, and Tromsø on your own. 
Then the two suggested excursions at Lofoten Islands and North Cape in Honningsvåg.

And then the pre/post cruise options suggested (Oslo, Train/Flåm, and Bergen).

I’ll suggest July (midnight Sun when inside Polar Circle).

I have no direct experience - but I did enter a Hurtigruten contest that popped up on faceplant - the prize for for an 'expedition' sailing from Oslo to the North Cape and back [I think embark Oslo, disembark Bergen].

This 'expedition'  sailing did not make the 34 short stops that the 'express' sailings make for the coastal ferry service.

On 4/17/2021 at 4:08 PM, gnome12 said:

I'm thinking about the Norwegian Fjords in summer 2023. I'd like to see the midnight sun. I'd also like to see Geirangerfjord. I love beautiful scenery, but I'm not really a hiker. I don't want a whole lot of sea days. (I have also been to England and Scotland - including Edinburgh and the Orkneys so don't want to spend extra time doing that.) I'm looking for at least 11 nights, but probably more.

I've looked at Hurtigruten's regular coastal trips, but, since they generally don't stop in ports for very long, their excursions are very expensive because they always have to get you to another port to pick up the ship.

Hurtigruten Expedition cruises are round trip Hamburg, so they have sea days at start and finish. I can't really tell which excursions are included and which are not; their website isn't particularly clear on it.

I looked a Viking's Into the Midnight Sun, which only has London at one end (Bergen is the other), but it spends too much time in Scotland for my taste, with only 5 excursions in Norway.

Can anyone direct me to other cruise lines (preferably on small to medium sized vessels) that might have something for me? (They don't have to have 2023 schedules up yet; I'm happy to see what they have planned to 2022 as an idea of what 2023 would be like.) Are there any ports that you particularly consider to be must-sees?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Oceania has a Norwegian cruise July 23-8 Aug  ‘23. that we are booked on. Copenhagen to Tromso. So except for Copenhagen. All Norway including Bergen and fjords. 

2 hours ago, Ltctina said:

Oceania has a Norwegian cruise July 23-8 Aug  ‘23. that we are booked on. Copenhagen to Tromso. So except for Copenhagen. All Norway including Bergen and fjords. 

I have actually booked SilverSea for 2024, since I have another pricey trip booked for 2023. 

I have a 14 night Norway/Greenland/Iceland Cruise booked for the end of August 2023 into September.  It doesn't look like the cruise goes into any of the deep fjords.  I was wondering what would be the best location to take an excursion through the Fjords and if there are any recommendations as to particular companies.  Also we Only have 9 hours in Allesund so I am worried about time constraints to go through Geraingerfjord  The following is our itinerary:

Tromsø, Norway---6:00 PM

Svolvaer, Norway 10:00 AM 8:00 PM

Sandnessjoen, Norway 7:00 AM 4:00 PM

Ålesund, Norway 9:00 AM 6:00 PM

Bergen, Norway 6:00 AM 8:00 PM

Lerwick, Shetland Islands, Scotland 9:00 AM 6:00 PM

Edinburgh (South Queensferry), Scotland 9:00 AM 6:00 PM

Kirkwall, Orkney Isles, Scotland 9:00 AM 6:00 PM

Torshavn, Faroe Islands 9:00 AM 6:30 PM

Djupivogur, Iceland 10:00 AM 7:00 PM

Akureyri, Iceland 10:00 AM 6:00 PM

Ittoqqortoormiit, Greenland 11:00 AM 8:00 PM

Scoresby Sound, Greenland------

Isafjordur, Iceland 9:30 AM 6:30 PM

Reykjavik, Iceland (Flight Departure) 7:00 AM

Are there any must sees/do's?  We will also have a few days in Tromso before and Reyjavik after.  Thanks you 

40 minutes ago, DRedmond said:

I have a 14 night Norway/Greenland/Iceland Cruise booked for the end of August 2023 into September.  It doesn't look like the cruise goes into any of the deep fjords.  I was wondering what would be the best location to take an excursion through the Fjords and if there are any recommendations as to particular companies.  Also we Only have 9 hours in Allesund so I am worried about time constraints to go through Geraingerfjord  The following is our itinerary:

Tromsø, Norway---6:00 PM

Svolvaer, Norway 10:00 AM 8:00 PM

Sandnessjoen, Norway 7:00 AM 4:00 PM

Ålesund, Norway 9:00 AM 6:00 PM

Bergen, Norway 6:00 AM 8:00 PM

Lerwick, Shetland Islands, Scotland 9:00 AM 6:00 PM

Edinburgh (South Queensferry), Scotland 9:00 AM 6:00 PM

Kirkwall, Orkney Isles, Scotland 9:00 AM 6:00 PM

Torshavn, Faroe Islands 9:00 AM 6:30 PM

Djupivogur, Iceland 10:00 AM 7:00 PM

Akureyri, Iceland 10:00 AM 6:00 PM

Ittoqqortoormiit, Greenland 11:00 AM 8:00 PM

Scoresby Sound, Greenland------

Isafjordur, Iceland 9:30 AM 6:30 PM

Reykjavik, Iceland (Flight Departure) 7:00 AM

Are there any must sees/do's?  We will also have a few days in Tromso before and Reyjavik after.  Thanks you 

We have a fjord excursion booked for Alesund on 10 November - a 3 hour Hjorundfjord Cruise

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/6/2022 at 10:09 AM, Ltctina said:

I'm booked on this cruise, too.  You may have forgotten the stop in Gothenberg, Sweden.

I am really stumped here....   Of course, in the cities, I will likely explore on my own unless there are things to see in the near vacinity.  But I am all about the scenery.  It's unclear whether we will see it all cruising through the fjords or if I have to book some day trips while docked to get the most beautiful views.  

Have you booked any tours, either with the ship or with local tour guides?  

Any information you have would be appreciated.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all we are booked on a 2 week best of Norway cruise for Sep 2023. Very excited!  We have been to Amsterdam once about 25 years ago and other than that all ports are new to us.  I've posted our itinerary below.

Flam Railroad is a bucket list thing for me and have already booked that.  Other than that open to suggestions about what not to miss at the other ports.  I've already done a fair bit of research and have some ideas but want to make sure we aren't missing anything.  Are there any ports where you would recommend going on a boat tour vs a land tour for example?  We did Alaska for the first time this year and while we loved it we realized afterwards we had booked almost all boat tours and while they were great it would have been better to mix it up a bit.  Thanks in advance!

image.png.1a3399d02dbe4dc6b65b5f3766235f4e.png

1 minute ago, bebe08 said:

Hi all we are booked on a 2 week best of Norway cruise for Sep 2023. Very excited!  We have been to Amsterdam once about 25 years ago and other than that all ports are new to us.  I've posted our itinerary below.

Flam Railroad is a bucket list thing for me and have already booked that.  Other than that open to suggestions about what not to miss at the other ports.  I've already done a fair bit of research and have some ideas but want to make sure we aren't missing anything.  Are there any ports where you would recommend going on a boat tour vs a land tour for example?  We did Alaska for the first time this year and while we loved it we realized afterwards we had booked almost all boat tours and while they were great it would have been better to mix it up a bit.  Thanks in advance!

image.png.1a3399d02dbe4dc6b65b5f3766235f4e.png

Yikes this is impossible to read! Here are the ports:

• Amsterdam
  • Eidfjord
  • Scenic cruising Hardangerfjord
  • Alesund
  • Geiranger
  • Scenic cruising Geirangerfjord
  • Bergen
  • Amsterdam
  • Scenic cruising Oslofjord
  • Oslo
  • Kristiansand
  • Stavanger
  • Scenic cruising Sognefjord
  • Flam
  • Amsterdam

6 hours ago, bebe08 said:

• Amsterdam
  • Eidfjord
  • Alesund
  • Geiranger
  • Bergen
  • Amsterdam
  • Oslo
  • Kristiansand
  • Stavanger
  • Flam
  • Amsterdam

What I dislike about this itinerary is that it is really 2 round trip cruises from Amsterdam. That adds a lot of extra sea days that to me are unnecessary. That said, it does hit all of Alesund, Geiranger, Bergen and Flam.

9 hours ago, gnome12 said:

What I dislike about this itinerary is that it is really 2 round trip cruises from Amsterdam. That adds a lot of extra sea days that to me are unnecessary. That said, it does hit all of Alesund, Geiranger, Bergen and Flam.

We aren't concerned about the number of sea days.  There are 4 Sea days out of 14 days...we enjoy sea days gives us a chance to enjoy the ship more fully and recharge our batteries.   We have never been on a B2B cruise before and figure this will be kind of like that....We will get to experience the thrill of staying on while others are packing up to leave.  

• Like 2

On 11/7/2022 at 4:08 PM, bebe08 said:

• Amsterdam
  • Eidfjord
  • Alesund
  • Geiranger
  • Bergen
  • Amsterdam
  • Oslo
  • Kristiansand
  • Stavanger
  • Flam
  • Amsterdam

Sorry if you mentioned already, which cruise line/ship is this with?

So excited I found this thread. Planning my bucket list trip for 23. 

Unfortunately I am not able to swing a Luxury ship and will be sticking to RCL, NCL , MSC et al. 

I saw an interesting itinerary that goes all the way to SVALBARD. I am interested in a R.I.B. excursion to enjoy the icebergs/glacier and wildlife (possible sightings). 

But I am hesitant because the other ports don't look very appealing.

I want to experience the majesty of entering one of those large Fjords/and or getting close to being able too see the glaciers/wildlife/sealife. (inside passage/ glacier bay for Alaska type scenery)

Which stops do you recommend for this? Or if you have must have stop's! Should I just skip the whole Svalbard idea and stick to your standard Fjord trip of 7 days and than f/u with a baltic 7 day?

These are the ones I am looking at.

Option#1
Hamburg
Sea
Molde
Sea
Tromso
Sea
Longyearbyen
Sea
Honningsvag
Honningsvag
Sea
Bergen
Kristiansand
Skagen, DN
Sea
Hamburg

Option #2 (leaning towards this one)
Hamburg
Sea
Molde
Sea
Tromso
Sea
Longyearbyen
Sea
Honningsvag
Honningsvag
Sea
Olden
Stavanger
Sea
Hamburg

Option#3
Hamburg
Sea
Alesund
Sea
Honningsvag
Honningsvag
Sea
Trondheim
Molde
Bergen
Kristiansand
Sea
Hamburg

Thanks so much for taking time to read and give me your opinions and or suggestions!!

1 hour ago, alexgtp said:

I want to experience the majesty of entering one of those large Fjords/and or getting close to being able too see the glaciers/wildlife/sealife. (inside passage/ glacier bay for Alaska type scenery)

You are right - not that much deep Norwegian fjords cruising in  the three options

Option 2 is, in my opinion, the best - the only option with a deep fjord sailing (albeit not the deepest fjord) to Olden.
 It looks like two days in Ålesund - that should allow for an excursion/cruse to Geiranger.
 In Stavanger, an excursion and cruising to the Lysefjorden and the 'pulpit' is possible.

The highlight is for sure Longyearbyen and Svalbard.

My recommendation is either a deep fjord cruise  to at least two of the following ports: Geiranger, Flåm, Older or Eidfjord (prioritized) including coastal cities Bergen, and Ålesund - or a separate Svalbard cruise with more time in Svalbard. For Svalbard you might want to check Hurtigruten expedition cruises.