Married People Who Cruise Solo

jimdee3636

I've done five solo cruises and I always book an ordinary inside cabin, which is what we would get if we were traveling together, and I just resign myself to paying extra for it since I'm traveling alone.

solo cruising took off big time this past year and I think you'll find lots of videos on it on YouTube and lots of helpful information here.

On 1/15/2023 at 5:05 PM, DeSaxMan13 said:

Can I ask if you all end up in some of the ships that have solo/studio cabins, or are there "solo" rates sometimes, or just pay the double occupancy? 

I have done all of the above.  NCL has been more likely to have a no single supplement rate available.  Carnival pretty much never.  Royal occasionally.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/15/2023 at 4:05 PM, DeSaxMan13 said:

Glad to find this thread. My wife is pushing me to take a vacation solo to try to de-stress  from a tough year work wise, but she can't get away. I've been very hesitant as I wasn't sure if others really did this much but it seems that it's more common than I ever realized. Can I ask if you all end up in some of the ships that have solo/studio cabins, or are there "solo" rates sometimes, or just pay the double occupancy? We've done 13 cruises together but I've no idea really on where to start for a solo adventure. Usually we go balcony so I have a quiet "personal" space to sit and read or just stare at the water but from what I see studio type cabins are all inside.

Welcome!

This thread is a great one to check out:

Also check out Cruise Plum

https://www.cruiseplum.com/solo-supplement-deals

Not a TA but it lists best deals for solos. 

Edited by KKB

• 2 weeks later...

Glad to find this thread. My wife is pushing me to take a vacation solo to try to de-stress  from a tough year work wise, but she can't get away. I've been very hesitant as I wasn't sure if others really did this much but it seems that it's more common than I ever realized. Can I ask if you all end up in some of the ships that have solo/studio cabins, or are there "solo" rates sometimes, or just pay the double occupancy? We've done 13 cruises together but I've no idea really on where to start for a solo adventure. Usually we go balcony so I have a quiet "personal" space to sit and read or just stare at the water but from what I see studio type cabins are all inside.

SaxMan,

I take an annual solo vacay, usually a cruise. Regardless of the size of the ship or number of passengers I can always find a quiet space. That loud night club at the front of the ship is a quiet library during the day? The MDR’s are great places for breakfast and lunch while the crowds are chowing down at the buffet. Stay on board during a port day and soak in the hot tub. 

Many cruise line websites have a “Solo” section. I rarely pay much more for solos that the dual pp rate. Having said that I’m very flexible. Cruising out of Miami to some boring ports (Nassau and Freeport for example) at a deep discount? Sign me up!! I’ve been to most Caribbean ports so I’m just looking for a good price on a decent ship.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

I always have to pay the extra. That's 1 thing I really don't care about. It can be very very expensive

• 5 weeks later...

Regarding the solo supplement….Make a budget and stick to it.  If you dig your heals in and refuse to pay the supplement you could very well not only be missing out on a great itinerary or cruise line, but you might also be paying more.  I have seen MANY times where the double occupancy price of a regular inside, an OV or even a balcony is less than the cost of a solo cabin simply because of supply and demand.  I understand it’s “not fair” that solos pay more, but at this point it is a reality.  Get over it, or limit your choices.  Decide what you can afford and go from there.  Trust me, I’ve been solo cruising for quite a few years now and in my opinion, I don’t care whether I spend X amount of dollars on a cabin that was a double occupancy fare or that same amount on a fare with no solo supplement.

On 6/22/2021 at 4:31 PM, fyree39 said:

I have been seriously considering a solo cruise. He doesn't retire for 2 years, so now's my chance. I just wonder how he'll take it when I bring the idea up for the first time.

Only one way to find out.  "Honey, I'm thinking about taking a cruise to Timbuktu in October.  I know you probably don't want to take a cruise, but how do you feel about me going solo?".  

On 6/9/2023 at 10:02 PM, chefchick said:

Regarding the solo supplement….Make a budget and stick to it.  If you dig your heals in and refuse to pay the supplement you could very well not only be missing out on a great itinerary or cruise line, but you might also be paying more.  I have seen MANY times where the double occupancy price of a regular inside, an OV or even a balcony is less than the cost of a solo cabin simply because of supply and demand.  I understand it’s “not fair” that solos pay more, but at this point it is a reality.  Get over it, or limit your choices.  Decide what you can afford and go from there.  Trust me, I’ve been solo cruising for quite a few years now and in my opinion, I don’t care whether I spend X amount of dollars on a cabin that was a double occupancy fare or that same amount on a fare with no solo supplement.

This makes so much sense.  Instead of chasing every ship and every cabin and every fare, set up your budget first.  Decide what you want to spend.  List your criteria and narrow your choices.  Much easier than flying all over the place looking for 'a bargain'.  You'll find what you want and can jump right on it, because you already have your parameters set up.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

That's me!  We travelled for years, mostly independently, but now husband tired of it all, next cruise after October will be Avalon Provence to Normandy in April.  Look forward to meeting everyone as we sail from Barcelona.  

Edited by jsn55

So happy to have logged on here after many years and found this thread! I am contemplating booking a solo cruise for early 2024. I don't really care where the ship goes, as long as I get a bit of sunny weather along the way. My husband and I have been to most of the Caribbean Islands and he has no desire to go again. I, on the other hand, am raring to go! I have been on several cruises with friends where I didn't even get off the ship since I've been there, done that. I love the ship when everyone else gets off. 😉 I'm just beginning to research options. Thanks for posting your experiences here....gives me the courage to do it solo! 

Edited by Novablue
spelling error
  • Like 2

@Novablue Thank you for the nice words.  I'm in the same situation as you because my husband doesn't want to cruise.  I also don't really care where the ship goes as well as long as it's RC.  So keep us posted I may join your solo cruise --I'm looking for a cruise right now and hope to decide on one very soon.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/14/2023 at 12:17 AM, 1RCcruiser said:

Hello,

Is there anyone in this roll call who is married by traveling solo/ solo cabins in 2023-2024?  If so, where and which cruise line?  

ARCcruiser

I had to use a Cruise Next (NCL) certificate or lose it; booked an amazing deal on Norwegian Jewel 7 Night Seward-Vancouver for an Interior Guarantee.  DH and I have been traveling a lot this summer, and he's tired of it for now, so I'm solo-ing!  We're already in Washington state, so Alaska cruises are a whole lot easier to get to!

• Like 1

On 7/14/2023 at 3:17 AM, 1RCcruiser said:

Hello,

Is there anyone in this roll call who is married by traveling solo/ solo cabins in 2023-2024?  If so, where and which cruise line?  

ARCcruiser

My first solo coming up on Celebrity Summit, Nov 13, 23.  We are heading to familiar waters; Nassau and Cozumel.  

• 1 month later...