Cancelling due to unacceptable restrictions (safe sailing charter)

ISS

After a number of years being unable to sail due to family commitments I had looked forward to renewing my acquaintance with Fred Olsen. Hoping Covid would be done with last year I initially booked a BLACK WATCH cruise. When the replacement ships were announced I didn't like the substitute itinerary (which wouldn't have happened anyway as it had been April 2021) and asked to be transferred to the Orkney / Shetland Itinerary from Liverpool on August 28. The alteration was made in early September 2020. 

As time is moving towards the payment of the balance I was wondering what restrictions / rules would be imposed as I had ascertained that Carnival group companies were insisting on organised shore excursions.

This morning I went looking on the FO web site and found the Safe Sailing Charter. 

Well, it doesn't sound like a holiday. 

I have so far refused to have a Covid test and they want two before the cruise and one at the terminal.

They are a bit vague on vaccines at present but I don't intend to have one.  

I certainly don't like the idea of being tagged whilst on board either. - It isn't prison its a holiday! 

It is also not clear if free movement at ports will be permitted rather than being forced on to excursions. That I do not want as part of the plan for the Orkney call would be to avail myself of the local ferries - which I did on a previous cruise years ago on Black Prince.

Basically as there is a lack of clarity and the potential for coercion I am seriously wondering what to do now. 

Has anyone else found themselves in this dilemma? 

At present I have only paid the deposit and would I have grounds for claiming a refund as I find the Safe Sailing Charter unacceptable. 

Any thoughts?

Thanks

John

I was going to suggest you go with MSC instead as they’re not requiring any vaccines, but then I realised you are also refusing to have a test.

Even MSC are requiring simple tests before boarding, so it looks like you might not be cruising for a while unless you can get over your fear of the tests. They’re really not uncomfortable, and I’d hate to think I’d be losing an opportunity for a great cruising holiday because I was afraid of the test.

They take about 20 seconds to do.

Maybe try a HomeKit first so you can see what to expect?

I wish you the best of luck.

• Like 1

Far from being afraid of a test I am just opposed to the principal of it. I have always worked on the basis if I feel well I am well. There are quite a few people out there who have similar views to myself and one doesn't have to look hard to find this strategy of testing wrong. 

2 minutes ago, ISS said:

Far from being afraid of a test I am just opposed to the principal of it. I have always worked on the basis if I feel well I am well. There are quite a few people out there who have similar views to myself and one doesn't have to look hard to find this strategy of testing wrong. 

I think the issue is that many people with Covid do actually ‘feel well’. They can present no symptoms at all. 

If a person with Covid, albeit no symptoms, were allowed to board a cruise ship, it could lead to a major breakout across all of the passengers and crew.

This would result in cruising being set back again, and possibly some passengers or crew dying needlessly, just like last time.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ISS said:

You will find the vast majority of people prefer to keep healthy and stay alive.  However, I acknowledge you are perfectly entitled to your own opinions and to opt out of the sort of life other people will be able to return to.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, marylizcat said:

I expect Fred Olsen will either let you cancel with a refund or if not, cancel and keep the monies paid so far as a credit for future cruises. 

Well I hope so., I had done quite a few cruises over the years with Fred Olsen, but due to family circumstances I had to stop.

I have had too much of rules in the past 12 months, some of which I have deliberately ignored, I just don't see what is on offer is worth it when I can have a shore based holiday without the hassle. I love travelling by sea on cruise ships, ferries and pleasure steamers - but this isn't my idea of fun. 

If you’re ok with wearing a mask in public areas, you could book a Warner’s break? Very similar to cruising, but on land. No testing required as far as I’m aware?

Or is wearing a mask also a no?

If so, you might find a B&B in Blackpool or Southport that’s privately owned where the owner doesn’t believe in masks and stuff?

If you don’t mind self catering, you could hire a caravan.

I’m sure you’ll find a holiday to suit. Just have to get creative with ideas.

Best of luck.

Speaking as someone who caught COVID from an asymptomatic colleague and was really ill - you may feel well, but be asymptomatic and infect others. As you do not want to have a test - even an antibody test, you will never know. The problem is that the majority of your fellow cruisers will be in the more senior bracket and are more susceptible to severe infection if they contract COVID. Even the fully vaccinated have a 15% chance of contracting the virus although they are unlikely to die of it.

Given  your convictions, to which of course you have every entitlement, you may find it easier to give cruising a miss for a couple of seasons?

Have a good holiday in whatever you eventually decide to do.

• Like 1