What if you don't request a refund and you don't rebook your cancelled cruise?

lharry

We had our cruise cancelled in May and I have requested a refund, but my son didn't because he thought he would rebook - but he hasn't.  What will happen if he hasn't done either by the time our cancelled cruise date rolls around?  I don't want him to lose out on that money!!

The default is an FCC with an expiration date. I think use it or lose it. You can't convert it to cash.

The cruise line will decide for you before the sail date.

Edited by BlerkOne

1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

By default if your son didnt request a refund a fcc will be issued for his cruise. I'm assuming he has his own booking separate from yours.

1 hour ago, BlerkOne said:

The default is an FCC with an expiration date. I think use it or lose it. You can't convert it to cash.

The cruise line will decide for you before the sail date.

Firefly is correct.  It automatically converts to FCC.  If you don't rebook by the stated date, you just lose the OBC but the FCC sits there until you rebook.  It does not auto refund.

Looks like they may refund any refundable part and:

^The future cruise credit (FCC) is based on the cancellation fees retained by Carnival for this voyage, including Fly2Fun air if applicable. FCC and Onboard Credit (OBC) are combinable with all Carnival-offered fares, are non-transferable, non-refundable, cannot be used as a deposit or applied to a chartered sailing, have no cash value, and must be redeemed on a Carnival Cruise Line sailing departing by 4/30/2023. The FCC/OBC may only be used toward one (1) booking in the same currency in which the above voyage was originally paid. FCC cannot be used for taxes, fees & port expenses, Carnival Vacation Protection, onboard charges or gratuities and any unused portion will be forfeited. New OBC offer replaces any previous OBC offer and applies to new booking if made by 9/30/2021. The booking guest shall be responsible for payment of the difference between the amount of the FCC and the amount of the new booking if higher.

That clarifies things for those that haven't been cancelled yet. Must rebook a cruise departing by 4/30/2023; however, you lose the new OBC if you don't rebook by 9/30/2021.

This says new booking. Others have posted they were allowed to transfer this to other cruises they already have booked. I only have one booked right now.

4 hours ago, lharry said:

We had our cruise cancelled in May and I have requested a refund, but my son didn't because he thought he would rebook - but he hasn't.  What will happen if he hasn't done either by the time our cancelled cruise date rolls around?  I don't want him to lose out on that money!!

On Princess (own by Carnival Corporation)  we did not rebook or cancel by the date stated but were automatically sent the refund ... $400 in our case.  :classic_smile:

1 hour ago, mondello said:

That clarifies things for those that haven't been cancelled yet. Must rebook a cruise departing by 4/30/2023; however, you lose the new OBC if you don't rebook by 9/30/2021.

This says new booking. Others have posted they were allowed to transfer this to other cruises they already have booked. I only have one booked right now.

I have transferred to existing bookings. There is a form you can use, or call Carnival. I have a link I can post once I find it.

And as some brain cells have activated, I transferred the deposit to an existing booking, got the OBC, and was refunded the rest at my request.