Feasibility of Tahiti cruise prior to Transpacific out of Sydney

kjc852

We are booked on both legs of a Celebrity transpacific from Sydney to Hawaii and then Hawaii to Vancouver in April 2023.  Ship has several ports in FP, however thinking how fabulous adding a pre-TA  7 or 10 night cruise out of Tahiti might enhance our journey tremendously as we have never been to Tahiti, Bora Bora, etc.  This additional cruise has the much desired benefit of breaking up our long flight from Florida to Sydney into more tolerable shorter segments.  My preliminary research shows both a 7-day Windstar or a 10-day Oceania cruise will fit our pre-TA schedule perfectly and still provide several available days to fly to Sydney from Papeete.  

My question to you more experienced FP travelers is this proposed itinerary one you believe is feasible or a logistical nightmare waiting to happen?  

My immediate concern is flight availability from Papeete to Australia which by my research shows it to be very limited and at considerable cost.  Does anyone know if the round trip airfare that can be included with either Windstar or Oceania cruises allow flexibility to fly out after the cruise to a different location than your originating airport back in the U.S.?  I understand there might be additional fees to deviate from a true round trip booking, yet asking here if anyone has ever done something similar or know if this might be an option?  Have written to both cruise lines, but have yet to receive a response.  

Thank you in advance for any feedback or info you might share!

You best option will be to use American Airlines from Florida. AA has a relationship with Air Tahiti Nui from LAX - PPT - AKL-Sydney. The flights to Australia are scheduled to resume this October. I believe there are 2 or 3 flights per week from PPT - AKL  .... then Air New Zealand from AKL to Sydney.

You weren't asking but oh well.

Have cruised both Oceania and Windstar Tahiti, and you can't go wrong with either- our favorite of cruise itineraries. We've been booked with both (and canceled a few times) and have both booked again now for 2022 and 2023. If you could do 10 day Windstar I'd push you towards them. But Oceania Tahiti is superb. They are neck and neck for perfection for me, but WS maybe gets a little nudge towards greatness because of it's size and the watersports platform. Indispensable in Tahiti.

Thank you both for your much valued and much appreciated information.  It helps our decision making greatly.

A few responses to both of your cruise recommendations.  We would love to consider Paul Gauguin, however their 2023 sailings have not been released for sale and based on my present understanding PG 2023 sailings might not be released until late 2021.  And unfortunately Windstar doesn’t have a 10-day sailing within the pre-transpacific window we have in early April.

There are presently only two early April sailings that can possibly work and enable us to sail on the Celebrity Eclipse TP on 4/22/23 out of Sydney.  And I say that knowing either cruise will completely blow our already inflated travel budget for 2023.  One is a 7 or 8 day Windstar cruise on 4/5 or 4/6 as well as a 10-day Oceania cruise also embarking on 4/6.

I am currently leaning towards the 7-day Windstar as this option provides several additional days of flexibility to schedule our flight to Sydney.  This itinerary will provide for 37 days of fabulous cruising and that doesn’t consider the possible addition of an Alaskan cruise out of Vancouver at the end of our transpacific odyssey.  But that discussion is better left to another thread and time.

If I understand you correct your transpacific cruise will have limited stops in French Polynesia.  If I were you i would stick to a land based vacation in FP as this allows you more time on a couple of islands and you can easily schedule to visit islands that you will not visit on your cruise.

I have to agree that the Paul Gauguin is a great ship but it does not fit in with your schedule. 

You are correct, the 2023 PG schedule will likely not be released until later this year but who knows, with cancellations in 2020 and 2021 they may consider listing early. 

I would agree with FlightMedic555  ... a nice 2 island stay for 7-10 nights on a few islands you won't be visiting is a great idea. Pick an island or 2 that you will not visit by ship. Depending on your budget the Islands of Tahaa, Huahine and Fakarava are less traveled but incredible places to check out. Fakarava only has 850 people  ... a bit more basic but a real gem. Huahine is a great island for cultural stuff and there are not big resorts. Tahaa (Le Tahaa Resort) is true bliss and your next to one of the best snorkeling experiences in FP. 

We truly appreciate everyone’s advice and recommendations who are experienced travelers to French Polynesia. Today we booked a 7-n FP cruise on Windstar sailing on April 6 and disembarking on April 13, 2023.  This leaves a 9 day post cruise period (accounting for losing a day crossing the date line) before we need to board the Celebrity Eclipse in Sydney for its eastbound 30-day transpacific to Vancouver.  Our desire will be to split this non cruising time between extra land days in FP and the remaining days in Australia depending on what turns out to be the most advantageous day for our flight to Sydney.  

Again our sincere thanks to all who took the time to share their first hand knowledge!  You all are a wealth of Tahitian information.

• Like 1