Cruise ships coming to Galveston this weekend

Radiioman46

Reading the article I saw this. It still looks like it might be awhile! 😔

The CDC said it's working on a plan for cruise ships to safely sail by this November, but Galveston leaders worry it'll be too late. Cruise ships have started in other countries and will expand this summer in the Caribbean and Europe. Officials said in Texas $1.2 billion in spending is tied to the cruise industry, with 23,000 people connected to it with their jobs.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Salem615 said:

Reading the article I saw this. It still looks like it might be awhile! 😔

The CDC said it's working on a plan for cruise ships to safely sail by this November, but Galveston leaders worry it'll be too late. Cruise ships have started in other countries and will expand this summer in the Caribbean and Europe. Officials said in Texas $1.2 billion in spending is tied to the cruise industry, with 23,000 people connected to it with their jobs.

Well, I've been reading some local chatter and I think it means that these cruise ships will be coming to the Port of Galveston to start the maintenance to get ready, so that when the light turns green, it won't take them 60 to 90 days to get out of the gates. Things like getting the crew on board, getting them vaccinated, etc.  training, and stuff. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, ninjacat123 said:

I would like to know this as well.  Is there a site to see where the Carnival ships are currently?  Thx!!

I was looking on one of the ship tracking sites and found the breeze heading south, and on that link it stated the ship's destination of Galveston. The Vista hasn't been updated for about 13 hours or so, but it's fairly close to the Breeze.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Bgcruising said:

"One of the main operational reasons for the visits is to vaccinate the crew onboard each ship"

Yes, it seems they're going to be getting vaccinated here at UTMB. 🙂 

https://www.seatrade-cruise.com/ports-destinations/port-galveston-may-become-first-us-vaccinate-cruise-ship-crew

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Bgcruising said:

"One of the main operational reasons for the visits is to vaccinate the crew onboard each ship"

They are arriving with just their essential crew members which is around 100 members or so. maybe, as the other crew members start arriving, they can get vaccinated immediately.

There's also supposed to be a press event on Tuesday with Christine Duffy. I've been told it will be a pro-restart event to reinforce the message about the need to re-start cruising and the damage the shutdown has had on the local economy.

• Like 4

Just now, ceejcooke said:

There's also supposed to be a press event on Tuesday with Christine Duffy. I've been told it will be a pro-restart event to reinforce the message about the need to re-start cruising and the damage the shutdown has had on the local economy.

Christine Duffy just said a few minutes ago that she's coming to Galveston!

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, ceejcooke said:

I cant wait to see this event. I have very high hopes regarding it. Cant wait to jump back on the cruise

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Roger88 said:

I cant wait to see this event. I have very high hopes regarding it. Cant wait to jump back on the cruise

I am anxious for cruise to re-start as well, but I'm not sure I'd read too much into her appearance here. I think it's a great thing, but I would not expect any major NEW info, i.e. re-start dates or things like that. Believe this will be more of a pep rally for the re-start, for lack of a better term. Believe me, I'd love to be wrong on this point. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1