Assigned an adapted cabin

catperson02

I pre-registered for cruise A310A and received my cabin allocation yesterday. I was not happy with the cabin assigned (Riviera deck under the pool with a sheltered balcony) so rang to change it. They changed my cabin to C302 which was the only other cabin in the category left. When my confirmation came I realised that this is an adapted cabin so I rang straight back. I said to P&O that I did not feel comfortable occupying a cabin which really should be assigned to someone with mobility needs. I even offered to pay to get a cabin of the next grade. She informed me that there were no balcony cabins left in either grade so told me to stay put. Is it worth periodically ringing to see if any non adapted cabins have become available or can I assume that if someone needs an adapted cabin that I would be moved out (maybe upgraded you never know) Whilst I know that it would be lovely to have such a huge cabin to myself I really feel uncomfortable taking it.

1 hour ago, catperson02 said:

I pre-registered for cruise A310A and received my cabin allocation yesterday. I was not happy with the cabin assigned (Riviera deck under the pool with a sheltered balcony) so rang to change it. They changed my cabin to C302 which was the only other cabin in the category left. When my confirmation came I realised that this is an adapted cabin so I rang straight back. I said to P&O that I did not feel comfortable occupying a cabin which really should be assigned to someone with mobility needs. I even offered to pay to get a cabin of the next grade. She informed me that there were no balcony cabins left in either grade so told me to stay put. Is it worth periodically ringing to see if any non adapted cabins have become available or can I assume that if someone needs an adapted cabin that I would be moved out (maybe upgraded you never know) Whilst I know that it would be lovely to have such a huge cabin to myself I really feel uncomfortable taking it.

You could always check available cabins by doing a dummy booking on the P&O website.  I did that for the 20 night March '23 Azura and was incredibly able to find one which we decided to upgraded to.  You may find one in a position you prefer, though I suspect the time that any number of cabins may appear would be at balance pay time.  

Edited by tring

4 hours ago, catperson02 said:

As someone who needs an accessible cabin because my wife uses a wheelchair, I know  that fly cruises would not appeal to us, and I guess P&O know this, which is why they allocated it to you.

If someone with a genuine need wants to book in future, they may contact you to ask if you would be happy to move, but I would hope it would be to at least an equivalent cabin, or an upgrade, and subject to your agreement.

Whatever happens don't worry, just enjoy the extra space, we do.

20 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

As someone who needs an accessible cabin because my wife uses a wheelchair, I know  that fly cruises would not appeal to us, and I guess P&O know this, which is why they allocated it to you.

If someone with a genuine need wants to book in future, they may contact you to ask if you would be happy to move, but I would hope it would be to at least an equivalent cabin, or an upgrade, and subject to your agreement.

Whatever happens don't worry, just enjoy the extra space, we do.

Agreed John I have noticed that those people who have been given an adapted cabin have mostly been on fly cruises. Flying with a wheelchair or scooter can be done but it is not easy and stress free.

Gan Canny 

Dai

The cruise line will always fill the ship as far as possible and whilst adapted cabins are scarce in comparison to the number of passengers wishing to sail and need them.  It is outside of your control and they only fill them with non-disabled passengers at the last moment.

Regards John

7 hours ago, john watson said:

It is outside of your control and they only fill them with non-disabled passengers at the last moment.

Hardly last minute - the cruise is in March 2023! 

13 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Hardly last minute - the cruise is in March 2023! 

They can reshuffle as people cancel.  I think in the US there are strict guide lines for cruise lines on this issue.  The posters are not denying disabled passengers anything.

Regards John