I know much of this is still up in the air, but it would be good to have answers to these questions or at least have a time frame for when decisions will be made by Silversea.  Will this year’s Grand Med cruise start in Venice?  Will the Black Sea itinerary be eliminated as well as the overland trips?  Will we be allowed to do independent shore excursions and/or walk around on our own in some ports?  If not, when will the mandatory shore excursions be posted?

Thank you for participating on Cruisecritic.com.

• Like 1

Emtbsam

Long time no talk!!  I remembered you saying you had booked the Grand Voyage and wondered whether that remained the case?  We in fact are doing part of the voyage, in fact we were starting on August 27th in Athens, which has summarily already been cancelled by SS, seemingly to leave Silver Moon the only ship in that part of the world, until the start of the Grand Voyage on the Shadow.  This was extremely annoying as we had our flights booked, which entailed much expense and time to unravel them to start in Venice  twelve days later instead of Athens!!  

I think it is highly likely that part of the Black Sea cruise ports will be substituted, but hopefully not Istanbul, as we - like you? are doing an overland trip.  As you are probably aware all shorexes are included, and as far as I know, no one, passenger or crew will be allowed to go ashore on their own.  Actually do check "My Silversea" as I think you will find the shorexes are now bookable - we have booked ours.

Hopefully we will meet again on September 8th - fingers and everything else crossed!!

Kindest regards

Master Echo

Embtsam

Mea Culpae, apologies to you, and indeed anyone else reading my previous post -- I was confusing my cruises!!  Included shorexes are for a subsequent cruise.   The following was announced from Monaco on November 19th 2020,

'Included with every voyage in Silversea's new collection of 2022/2023 itineraries, travellers will enjoy complimentary shore excursions in every port and included roundtrip air'.

I did check My Silversea for the Grand Voyage on the Shadow, (the first two cruises),  and was quite surprised to find some of the shorexes are actually waitlisted.  Both dining and shorexes are available to book.

Kindest regards

Master Echo

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Emtbsam
Thank you for your questions. Our 2021 Grand Mediterranean voyage is indeed scheduled to depart from Venice and the Black Sea segment continues to be a part of the itinerary. By the time the Grand Voyage begins in early September, we hope that our guests will be able to explore independently, depending on how the safety regulations evolve. If the EU Healthy Gateway protocols will not have evolved by then we will immediately advise our guests. 

Barbara

• Like 1