Welcome Back Cruises 2021 - Malta & Adriatic Cruises and General Discussion

JM0115

2 minutes ago, Jchivers said:

The 72 hour PCR test seems really anxiety-producing.  We fly on a Friday, arriving in Malta on Saturday (Malta time)...so we basically have to get tested on Wednesday or Thursday and hope that we get results by the time we land?  How does that work?

We must be very lucky here in central North Carolina because we have several free drive up sites that provide the required nasopharyngeal RT-PCR test with results that arrive in about four hours (from our past experience.) The testing site quotes 7 to 12 hour response. We got a text with a link to a PDF that has worked going to St. Lucia and Jamaica.

Also don’t forget the time difference between US and Malta gives you a few extra hours.

Tom

• Like 2

1 hour ago, les37b said:

After seeing a great Viking Venus intro video last week, I've tentatively looked to book for Iceland but dates couldn't tie up with other commitments, so then looked at the Malta / Dalmatian coast Sailings.

Malta might well be turning Green for UK passport holders, but the others seem likely to remain amber. So any UK passport holders would need to quarantine for 5 days and be travelling without insurance as any red or amber counties will be excluded for cover as they are countries we are advised to avoid.

So my proposed booking fell at the first hurdle. A real shame, I was pretty impressed with the Viking Venus videos. Whilst the offer to give a FCC was given if we decided not to travel within 14 days, the fact this is a good deal and future prices not as attractive made that offer seem not as good as it sounded....... And if a country turned red - tough - its still sailing and your choice not to go! Those words weren't used but that was the gist. 

For me to be able to book, I was going to have to cancel the final of 4 Seacation cruises booked (Don't have unlimited holiday!)..... so unfortunately its the status que now.

Whats the thoughts on this scenario for other UK passport holders?

Tack on a holiday in Malta post-cruise to cover the requirement to not to have been in an amber country for 10 days before your arrival back into the UK?

So with Malta being green you don't have to quarantine, only a test on day 2, as it currently stands.

I know there is talk of fully vaccinated passengers returning from amber countries no longer having to quarantine, but who knows ! 

16 minutes ago, Tom.in.nc said:

We must be very lucky here in central North Carolina because we have several free drive up sites that provide the required nasopharyngeal RT-PCR test with results that arrive in about four hours (from our past experience.) The testing site quotes 7 to 12 hour response. We got a text with a link to a PDF that has worked going to St. Lucia and Jamaica.

Also don’t forget the time difference between US and Malta gives you a few extra hours.

Tom

That’s what we are doing tomorrow!  Thank you Wake County. Don’t have to have one to enter Iceland but also don’t want to get there and find out we are positive and not be able to come home. So tomorrow will be our first time having our brains tickled 😳

31 minutes ago, Alan2504 said:

Tack on a holiday in Malta post-cruise to cover the requirement to not to have been in an amber country for 10 days before your arrival back into the UK?

So with Malta being green you don't have to quarantine, only a test on day 2, as it currently stands.

I know there is talk of fully vaccinated passengers returning from amber countries no longer having to quarantine, but who knows ! 

Unfortunately we dont have the holiday left to take. This would be my 4th for this summer, otherwise that would have worked. Of course no one would know Ive been anywhere since we arrived in Malta! lol..... The fine for getting caught isn't so cool though! I'll stay honest!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Alan2504 said:

At the moment the Maltese government is only recognising the 3 vaccination certificates as I listed earlier, so your "Covid Vaccination Record Card issued by the CDC" will not be accepted, however being in an "Amber" state you can provide a negative 72 hour PCR test to allow you to travel.

Ive heard of people not being able to board a flight to Malta from the UK after showing them our NHS app proof - which is probably the most secure proof we could provide. Those cards can easily be forged and changed. There is talk Malta is going to accept the app - but not sure that''s approved yet. the certificate we can be sent (dial 119) will be valid.

2 minutes ago, les37b said:

Ive heard of people not being able to board a flight to Malta from the UK after showing them our NHS app proof - which is probably the most secure proof we could provide. Those cards can easily be forged and changed. There is talk Malta is going to accept the app - but not sure that''s approved yet. the certificate we can be sent (dial 119) will be valid.

The one who hold all the cards is the Maltese government and they set the rules and they change regularly if not daily !   Travel To Malta (gov.mt)

A few days ago they were insisting on the production of your original copy of your NHS vaccination certificate to enter Malta.

Interestingly the on-line EU dPLF (digital passenger locator) allows you to upload a copy of your vaccination certificate to the system.

In addition Viking are asking you to use VeriFLY to upload vaccination documentation too !

2 hours ago, gma1 said:

When I read the requirements about the USA I read that some states are on the Amber list & no special requirements are required...however other states (12) are on the red list (but those could change & update) will have to have certain requirements. My state of Virginia is on that Amber list...Washington State and Illinois are on that Amber list also.  I assume Viking will contact you if your state  is on that red list for further instructions. They know what state is your residence. Unless Viking tells me differently I believe my  Covid Vaccination Record Card issued by the CDC is sufficient. NOW I do think Viking may put all of us through some testing, perhaps saliva, before we will be allowed onboard. People can lie and forge anything and Viking cannot afford to take any chance or risk.

You’ve read the information incorrectly. When the Maltese government says there are no special “authorisations” for countries on the Amber list, they are referring to previous requirements where you had to get specific authorization to be let into the country. Now you can come in. But you must show results of a negative Covid PCR test or be tested there on arrival and be subjected to a 14 day quarantine. They are not recognizing US vaccination proof as of this date. And Viking has given instruction to pax for Malta. It’s in this document, which I already posted above: https://docs.vikingcruises.com/pdf/14-210702-RestartPreCruiseRequirement-Malta-US.pdf

• Like 2

Thank you Linda for posting the link.  What some have missed is the following on page 3 which states that a PRINTED negative result certificate must be presented at your DEPARTURE airport which in our case is almost a full day earlier than the Malta arrival.  And, we must be able to download and print the certificate before leaving for the airport.  Argh! 

Again, for us, the Malta 72 hour clock starts locally at 2am Saturday.   We must find a testing site which will test us SATURDAY morning and guarantee results accessible by 3am Monday`(43 hours) so that we may print it before leaving for the airport at 4am.  If they fail to get us results by then, it looks like we are SOL.  We will resume our search for such a testing site after this 3 day holiday.

"2. Proof of negative COVID-19 PCR test—you will be required to present a printed copy of your COVID certificate at your airport of departure and when you arrive in Malta. For UK guests only, the printed version of the NHS COVID letter will be accepted as proof of double vaccination to enter Malta."

I also find it interesting that this Viking document has yet to be accessible on our MyViking.  I can only hope that our vaccination status will be deemed sufficient for Malta by August 9.

Regards, Troy

4 hours ago, gma1 said:

When I read the requirements about the USA I read that some states are on the Amber list & no special requirements are required...however other states (12) are on the red list (but those could change & update) will have to have certain requirements. My state of Virginia is on that Amber list...Washington State and Illinois are on that Amber list also.  I assume Viking will contact you if your state  is on that red list for further instructions. They know what state is your residence. Unless Viking tells me differently I believe my  Covid Vaccination Record Card issued by the CDC is sufficient. NOW I do think Viking may put all of us through some testing, perhaps saliva, before we will be allowed onboard. People can lie and forge anything and Viking cannot afford to take any chance or risk.

A few people that had the Malta cruises coming up very soon, were notified by Viking that they had to cancel going on the cruise, since they were from a red list state. Very disappointing for those folks.

17 hours ago, travelguy19 said:

A few people that had the Malta cruises coming up very soon, were notified by Viking that they had to cancel going on the cruise, since they were from a red list state. Very disappointing for those folks.

Funnily I just got of the phone to Viking and they mentioned they'd just cancelled some Malta cruises. They didn't say which.

My concerns on booking now, is the fact, for me to accommodate a sailing, I need to cancel one on another CL (and lose the deposit). That cruise is UK only and certain it will sail. So whilst this is a ship and itinerary upgrade, the prospect of Malta, Montenegro and Croatia making changes to cause problems because they've followed the Italian lead, where regardless of vaccine and test status, you must quarantine for 5 days. Viking were unable to indicate how that scenario could play out with the Western Med cruises and 2 Italian cruises. I suspect that would men a refusal of boarding if the cruises wasn't amended.

All things to consider. 

If only the Iceland cruises didn't end on 2 Sept. 

Oh this is so damn frustrating.

I managed to get a reservation for the 24th July sailing from Malta.

Malta is green, so not a problem.

But Croatia and Montenegro are Amber. Luckily before hitting the "buy" button, the guy reminded me that on return (not day Id be leaving Croatia) I would need to self isolate from 10 days. Lucky he did. I thought it was 5 days and also that double vaccinated that quarantine was being lifted.

It had a hefty £247 flight supp too, but would have done it.

Unfortunately I'm sailing on Scarlet Lady on the 9th August...... I'd get out of quarantine when it disembarks 5 days later.

Gutted.....

3 hours ago, les37b said:

Funnily I just got of the phone to Viking and they mentioned they'd just cancelled some Malta cruises. They didn't say which.

My concerns on booking now, is the fact, for me to accommodate a sailing, I need to cancel one on another CL (and lose the deposit). That cruise is UK only and certain it will sail. So whilst this is a ship and itinerary upgrade, the prospect of Malta, Montenegro and Croatia making changes to cause problems because they've followed the Italian lead, where regardless of vaccine and test status, you must quarantine for 5 days. Viking were unable to indicate how that scenario could play out with the Western Med cruises and 2 Italian cruises. I suspect that would men a refusal of boarding if the cruises wasn't amended.

All things to consider. 

If only the Iceland cruises didn't end on 2 Sept. 

I wasn't aware of Italy making you quarantine for 5 days regardless of vaccine.  Is this just for citizens of the United Kingdom?

42 minutes ago, bbtondo said:

I wasn't aware of Italy making you quarantine for 5 days regardless of vaccine.  Is this just for citizens of the United Kingdom?

42 minutes ago, bbtondo said:

I just noticed the Sea was showing "Sold Out" for 8/ 30 and 9/9/21 sailings ....

21 minutes ago, rudychance said:

I just noticed the Sea was showing "Sold Out" for 8/ 30 and 9/9/21 sailings ....

Just looked.  Not my cruise, but it doesn't show those sailings sold out.    Where did you see that?

37 minutes ago, rudychance said:

I have seen that  sold out..before and a few days later another few staterooms are added. In fact I tried to book over a month ago & it was sold out...then 3 weeks later not, so we booked!  Maybe the rules in Malta change also with the # of people !? Also people change their minds too & cancel.

2 hours ago, les37b said:

Oh this is so damn frustrating.

I managed to get a reservation for the 24th July sailing from Malta.

Malta is green, so not a problem.

But Croatia and Montenegro are Amber. Luckily before hitting the "buy" button, the guy reminded me that on return (not day Id be leaving Croatia) I would need to self isolate from 10 days. Lucky he did. I thought it was 5 days and also that double vaccinated that quarantine was being lifted.

It's all a gamble who knows what will happen, we went for a post cruise stay in Malta to cover for the amber countries, so we don't have the 10day dilemma, if that changes we might re-schedule our return, I think the key is to have flexible ticketing and cancellation options, but it comes with a price though 🙄

1 hour ago, bbtondo said:

Just looked.  Not my cruise, but it doesn't show those sailings sold out.    Where did you see that?

This morning for several hours on Viking site, the 8/30 and 9/9 Sea showed sold out.  Now just the 9/9/21 with, of course, the back to back sold out also.  So, hopefully, it is and all is well and they mistakenly showed 8/30 sold out as it's available now 

FYI to anyone connecting in the UK on their way to Malta, the UK is back on

the RED LIST and you cannot connect through LHR, LGW, etc., on your way to Malta.

Just confirmed with a call to Malta.

Changing flights now.

Tom

20 minutes ago, Tom.in.nc said:

FYI to anyone connecting in the UK on their way to Malta, the UK is back on

the RED LIST and you cannot connect through LHR, LGW, etc., on your way to Malta.

Just confirmed with a call to Malta.

Changing flights now.

Tom

If you are flying from an amber listed country/state and relying on a PCR test, rather than a Malta recognised vaccination certificate.

Just talked to myTA who called Viking.  She informed me that our 8/20 Adriatic & Greece is still on.  No problem with our connection in  LHR and Viking has a waiver from the restrictions in Montenegro & Croatia.  We still need the 72 hour test for Malta.  We are relieved!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, eduguy said:

Just talked to myTA who called Viking.  She informed me that our 8/20 Adriatic & Greece is still on.  No problem with our connection in  LHR and Viking has a waiver from the restrictions in Montenegro & Croatia.  We still need the 72 hour test for Malta.  We are relieved!

Great news! Unlike the Iceland & Bermuda cruises where people can now leave the ship on their own, we will probably have to stay in the Viking bubble.

2 hours ago, Alan2504 said:

If you are flying from an amber listed country/state and relying on a PCR test, rather than a Malta recognised vaccination certificate.

Apologies, I have assumed a visit,  it won't be applicable if you are transiting airside, so not technically in the UK

Edited by Alan2504
add info

What a mess! everything is so confusing, fluid and changing by the minute.

So... Today, I hear that the UK is about to remove quarantine restrictions for arrivals for people who've visited amber. 

So with the great deal I'd been offered for the 24 July, I was about to pull the trigger this morning.

But I think its all gone belly up and will now have to let it pass. Even if that change is made, when I arrive to board Scarlet Lady, I will be asked if I have visited an amber country in the past 10 days. I will have by 1 day! 

So the call from Viking I was awaiting, I had to break this news.

Then within 5 minutes of getting off the phone, a friend text me that Croatia is about to become a green list country.

if that happens, I hope I can still get this booking done.

Talk about a roller coaster of uncertainties!

3 hours ago, les37b said:

What a mess! everything is so confusing, fluid and changing by the minute.

So... Today, I hear that the UK is about to remove quarantine restrictions for arrivals for people who've visited amber. 

So with the great deal I'd been offered for the 24 July, I was about to pull the trigger this morning.

But I think its all gone belly up and will now have to let it pass. Even if that change is made, when I arrive to board Scarlet Lady, I will be asked if I have visited an amber country in the past 10 days. I will have by 1 day! 

So the call from Viking I was awaiting, I had to break this news.

Then within 5 minutes of getting off the phone, a friend text me that Croatia is about to become a green list country.

if that happens, I hope I can still get this booking done.

Talk about a roller coaster of uncertainties!

Have you looked at getting on the July 14th sailing - its not on the website however if you call the wonderful people at the Guest Services bookings sections, miracles is what they do as normal.  That gets you back on July 24th - if the 10 days silliness is still in play, you will be clear by the 4th and able to do your Scarlet Lady adventure - thats my scenario as well - getting really excited to be going inspite of the massive number of calls, emails, forms to fill in, tests to arrange, etc etc etc - I organize entire international annual meetings of stockholders with less fuss.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, eduguy said:

No problem with our connection in  LHR and Viking has a waiver from the restrictions in Montenegro & Croatia.  We still need the 72 hour test for Malta.  We are relieved!

Ok, I hope you are right.  I spoke to to different people at Malta government number and both said it would have been good a week ago, but since 30 June the UK is off Amber and back on Red list.

They said that means a 14 day quarantine even if you just transfer airside at LHR. Quoting them: “the airport is in the UK”.

I rerouted using Viking Air via Frankfurt.

Tom

FYI: Today on https://deputyprimeminister.gov.mt/en/health-promotion/covid-19/Pages/travel.aspx

Persons travelling to, coming to Malta from the above countries must not pass through transit airports outside these zones.