Welcome Back Cruises 2021 - Malta & Adriatic Cruises and General Discussion

JM0115

20 hours ago, mediawise said:

We are about to embark on the July 14th R/T Malta (first of many) Cruise on the Viking Venus.  Due to the current travel situation, this is not your usual cruise experience.  We have many questions yet to be answered in the few days before departure.  This video and the ones to follow will help our fellow passengers as we solve the problems that will crop us during this cruise.  We'll share so that your cruise will be a better experience.  We have no affliation with Viking, a travel agency, or the travel industry.  This is simply a passenger to passenger exchange.  Please leave comments and suggestions.

Hi Ken & Martha.  Loved your video even though we are not on this itinerary. We are booked on Viking Homelands, May 19. Love the Michigan tee shirt, Ken. We lived in Traverse City for many years--now in Venice, Fl.

• Like 1

Fellow Malta Cruisers - 

According to several posts from the Iceland Viking itineraries, I see that Viking is indeed using VeriFly as a tool to track Covid paperwork.  I assume that the Malta sailings will also require VeriFly, so I am posting below some relevant info gleaned from other posts.  We will make a video for Malta when Viking provides us with the promised info packet in about a week. Unless you are on our July 14th departure, you'll have plenty of time to digest this info.

kw

"The VERIFLY app has been used by some airlines to verify vaccination records.  Apparently, Viking has chosen to use it also.  When you open the app, a bunch of airlines and destination options are listed alphabetically .... VIKING CRUISES is WAY down on the list ... just keep scrolling and click on it.  If you're going on a cruise, Viking will send you an email with complete details in advance of your departure date.

"We did Verifly yesterday.  I was the primary traveler and I added my husband as a companion.  After doing the photo and providing photos of our vaccination cards, we hit "submit" and within 10 minutes I received two emails from Verifly. Each email invited us to "Click Here" ... which we did on each email.  I did need to close and re-open the Verifly app to see that we were both "Ready to Travel."  Click on "View Pass" to see the verification for each person.  (No barcode was ever requested or provided)".

On 6/28/2021 at 2:35 PM, mediawise said:

We are about to embark on the July 14th R/T Malta (first of many) Cruise on the Viking Venus.  Due to the current travel situation, this is not your usual cruise experience.  We have many questions yet to be answered in the few days before departure.  This video and the ones to follow will help our fellow passengers as we solve the problems that will crop us during this cruise.  We'll share so that your cruise will be a better experience.  We have no affliation with Viking, a travel agency, or the travel industry.  This is simply a passenger to passenger exchange.  Please leave comments and suggestions.

Thanks so much for taking the time to prepare and post this!  Looking forward to each new installment as the days unfold.  

On 6/28/2021 at 2:35 PM, mediawise said:

Hello Ken & Martha,

Really enjoyed this & look forward to your updates.  Thank you!

We just signed up for Malta, the Adriatic & Greece on the Venus  8/13 - 9/2.  We originally booked Bermuda, but cancelled before our 2 week deadline because of all the uncertainty with Bermuda's regulations concerning Covid.  We were able to book our air thru Viking with Business class to Malta and premium economy on the return, although we still don't have flight info.  Both are to/from Tampa and I'm expecting that it will be on the Lufthansa flights from Newark.  So far I've been able to book dining, but not excursions.  Guess I'll give Viking a call, since it seems many of you have been able to book them.

We appreciate all the good info here & look forward to sailing with Viking soon! 

On 6/29/2021 at 5:49 PM, mediawise said:

Fellow Malta Cruisers - 

According to several posts from the Iceland Viking itineraries, I see that Viking is indeed using VeriFly as a tool to track Covid paperwork.  I assume that the Malta sailings will also require VeriFly, so I am posting below some relevant info gleaned from other posts.  We will make a video for Malta when Viking provides us with the promised info packet in about a week. Unless you are on our July 14th departure, you'll have plenty of time to digest this info.

kw

"The VERIFLY app has been used by some airlines to verify vaccination records.  Apparently, Viking has chosen to use it also.  When you open the app, a bunch of airlines and destination options are listed alphabetically .... VIKING CRUISES is WAY down on the list ... just keep scrolling and click on it.  If you're going on a cruise, Viking will send you an email with complete details in advance of your departure date.

"We did Verifly yesterday.  I was the primary traveler and I added my husband as a companion.  After doing the photo and providing photos of our vaccination cards, we hit "submit" and within 10 minutes I received two emails from Verifly. Each email invited us to "Click Here" ... which we did on each email.  I did need to close and re-open the Verifly app to see that we were both "Ready to Travel."  Click on "View Pass" to see the verification for each person.  (No barcode was ever requested or provided)".

We did this for the Iceland cruise we are currently on.    Are we already then good to go to Malta.    We sail in August.  

Two weeks to the day from departure and our cruise documents have arrived in an email.  These include VeriFly instructions, and other details about the cruise.

This will be Cruise Companions second video installment. (Note that Ken was a bit under the weather due to recent facial surgery.  Nothing serious, but was scheduled unexpectedly hence the bandages in the video)

https://youtu.be/jviTVBg2bjQ

Please send comments and suggestions.

1 hour ago, mediawise said:

Please send comments and suggestions

Thanks for the update.  Verifly does not yet support AA or BA flights to Malta, but Viking clearly is supported. We don’t fly out until the 23rd so we have not yet received the 2-week package.

I followed another’s suggestion and used the Verifly app on MY iPhone to enter the info for Viking and added my wife a a companion on the trip.

Then my wife did the same on HER iPhone and added me as her companion.

Now if one of the phones dies, we have a second option.

You can only have YOUR Verifly on one device.

Tom

Edited by Tom.in.nc
Last line

3 hours ago, MarkCruises said:

We did this for the Iceland cruise we are currently on.    Are we already then good to go to Malta.    We sail in August.  

I think you could have to redo the trip in Verifly.  If I remember correctly, you were required to enter your Viking booking number which will be different for Malta.

Tom

Cautionary Tale-

Today was my first day to book the specialty restaurants.

And guess what?  Well I will tell you.

The same BS that I had booking my Iceland excursions occurred on a cruise that is no where full.

All the times that were available were for 9pm for both restaurants.  Crazy.

My first call to Viking got me someone who had to put me on hold for 12 minutes.  I hung up.

My second call got me someone with a brain.  It is really hit or miss calling Viking.

Did not get my first choice but I know I will be making changes almost immediately on the first day onboard.

My sailing is August 30th.

4 minutes ago, MikeyB said:

Cautionary Tale-

Today was my first day to book the specialty restaurants.

And guess what?  Well I will tell you.

The same BS that I had booking my Iceland excursions occurred on a cruise that is no where full.

All the times that were available were for 9pm for both restaurants.  Crazy.

My first call to Viking got me someone who had to put me on hold for 12 minutes.  I hung up.

My second call got me someone with a brain.  It is really hit or miss calling Viking.

Did not get my first choice but I know I will be making changes almost immediately on the first day onboard.

My sailing is August 30th.

Same quirky 9PM experience with 9 September sailing.
However I used Chat and got my specialty reservations. Chat has worked well during this chaos.

Yes, I hear you, MickeyB - this is meant to be fun and exciting to look forward to a fantastic vacation.   We're booked for August 20th from Malta on the Sea; it's been stressful; a nice local restaurant is looking good for Dh 70th Birthday. 

16 minutes ago, philw1776 said:

Same quirky 9PM experience with 9 September sailing.
However I used Chat and got my specialty reservations. Chat has worked well during this chaos.

Did you get a notice when dining reservations were to be open? Looks like we will be next as we are on the Sept. 12 Malta/Adriatic cruise. Our original invoice says bookings available July 4. But then, our excursions were supposed to be June 27 and instead dropped on June 16, though they did email us the day before.

52 minutes ago, LindaS272 said:

Did you get a notice when dining reservations were to be open? Looks like we will be next as we are on the Sept. 12 Malta/Adriatic cruise. Our original invoice says bookings available July 4. But then, our excursions were supposed to be June 27 and instead dropped on June 16, though they did email us the day before.

No
No email, no notice, just the date listed on my booking.
Dates & communications have been a fiasco for these cruises. 
I'm just getting into a happy place to go on my cruises. Iceland Saturday. Malta in September.

37 minutes ago, philw1776 said:

No
No email, no notice, just the date listed on my booking.
Dates & communications have been a fiasco for these cruises. 
I'm just getting into a happy place to go on my cruises. Iceland Saturday. Malta in September.

Aren't the dinner and tour countdown in MVJ, based on suite category? On the 6/15 Bermuda cruise, we were notified, by MVJ, that it was time to make our reservations.  But, 6/15 Bermuda was a free for all because of the short lead time.

Edited by MRGACRUZR
Additional information

Just now, MRGACRUZR said:

Aren't the dinner and tour countdown in, amount of days based on suite category? On the 6/15 Bermuda cruise, we were notified, by MVJ, that it was time to make our reservations.  But, 6/15 Bermuda was a free for all because of the short lead time.

So were  all later Bermuda cruises . It is the new normal .take deep breath if you plan on sailing  these Welcome Back cruises !

12 hours ago, travelguy19 said:

A tip for those booking the specialty restaurants - If you already had a reservation for that night at The Restaurant, you need to delete that first. You will then see other times at the specialty restaurants besides 9pm.

I had this issue after they deleted 2 nights I was good to go.

15 hours ago, Azulann said:

So were  all later Bermuda cruises . It is the new normal .take deep breath if you plan on sailing  these Welcome Back cruises !

The excursion dates for the Malta cruises were out of whack, but I think that the specialty restaurant reservations are following the ‘original rules’. I am in a PV3, and was able to make the reservations exactly 70 days out.

19 hours ago, mediawise said:

Two weeks to the day from departure and our cruise documents have arrived in an email.  These include VeriFly instructions, and other details about the cruise.

This will be Cruise Companions second video installment. (Note that Ken was a bit under the weather due to recent facial surgery.  Nothing serious, but was scheduled unexpectedly hence the bandages in the video)

https://youtu.be/jviTVBg2bjQ

Please send comments and suggestions.

Thanks! Keep the videos coming.
Someone posted on FB that for Iceland and/or Bermuda, Viking provided a very helpful checklist of all the things you need to do ahead of time, including dates/deadlines for every upcoming cruise. I guess that you have not received something like that yet?

2 minutes ago, travelguy19 said:

Thanks! Keep the videos coming.
Someone posted on FB that for Iceland and/or Bermuda, Viking provided a very helpful checklist of all the things you need to do ahead of time, including dates/deadlines for every upcoming cruise. I guess that you have not received something like that yet?

The checklist is in your MVJ on one of the drop down list. These checklist  are great especially about covid testing and other docs you need to get on airplane from US or into the country . These are updated as things change .

2 hours ago, Azulann said:

The checklist is in your MVJ on one of the drop down list.

Can you be more specific? All I see is boiler plate info identical between my Malta and my Istanbul cruise which is much later.

Maybe I’m looking in the wrong place,

Tom

18 minutes ago, Tom.in.nc said:

Can you be more specific? All I see is boiler plate info identical between my Malta and my Istanbul cruise which is much later.

Maybe I’m looking in the wrong place,

Tom

MJV: Before you go ;

Pre-Cruise Embarkation Requirements

Bermuda Cruise Information (very detailed for my cruise) 

When is your cruise ? 

Edited by Azulann