Welcome Back Cruises 2021 - Malta & Adriatic Cruises and General Discussion

JM0115

Hi Linda,

Thanks for the roll call tip.  I did get there after I went to the Venus Aug 23-Sep 2 Roll Call.

I registered as a CC user specifically so I could ask my previous question and get to the answer.

Thanks to  all who replied.

Bob

2 minutes ago, RALWauna said:

Hi Linda,

Thanks for the roll call tip.  I did get there after I went to the Venus Aug 23-Sep 2 Roll Call.

I registered as a CC user specifically so I could ask my previous question and get to the answer.

Thanks to  all who replied.

So glad!! Your roll call is a wealth of information for your specific cruise. The Viking forum is more for more general questions etc.

Our roll calls in pre covid days,If 25 folks signed up for Meet and Greet  on CC, Viking and CC hosted a spectacular  cocktail party with cocktails, appetizers and  Viking officers  attending. It was a great way to get to know  the person behind the moniker from you roll call. Right now it this feature is on pause. 

I was on  Bermuda Sailing in July and met a another couple from our roll call on the last day at breakfast! It felt so weird ,that we did not have a venue to meet before the last day.

8 hours ago, tony the magnificent said:

Alan, thanks for sending.  However, focus is off and extremely difficult to read.  Appreciate your efforts.

Phone problems I'm afraid, the high temps meant the adhesives holding it together got overwhelmed and essentially de-laminated, so it is just holding together!

If I get a chance later I'll try and redo 😎

20 hours ago, rizello said:

We shall see.  Now looks like EU may want to establish some restrictions on US travelers even coming into the EU.

That'll be retaliation for the US not allowing EUians into the US.

• Like 1

UH OH… reported on FB:

Four people have been taken off Viking Venus in Malta due to positive testing. Two because someone has tested positive at least twice and has cold symptoms and the two people they were traveling with. Being quarantined in a Malta hotel for 14 days and not getting much help in the situation.

13 minutes ago, travelguy19 said:

UH OH… reported on FB:

Four people have been taken off Viking Venus in Malta due to positive testing. Two because someone has tested positive at least twice and has cold symptoms and the two people they were traveling with. Being quarantined in a Malta hotel for 14 days and not getting much help in the situation.

Edited by PeabodyMa

Just now, PeabodyMa said:

Which Malta cruise? Was it the 8/3?

I’m trying to find out more info. I just checked, and the Viking Venus is in Split, Croatia. So either they were taken off the ship before it left Malta, or (hopefully) it’s FB rumor/ misinformation. I apologize if that’s the case.

• Thanks 1

By the way: this may be something that everybody knows (except me) and I found out the hard way: if you're using a voucher from a previous cancelled cruise, you have to use it up before the ship sails.  IT DOES NOT TRANSLATE INTO ONBOARD CREDITS.  

I thought I was starting our cruise (July 24 Adriatic Jewels), after booking excursions, with plenty of surplus credits for spa services and merchandise and stuff.  Nope.  

44 minutes ago, Jchivers said:

By the way: this may be something that everybody knows (except me) and I found out the hard way: if you're using a voucher from a previous cancelled cruise, you have to use it up before the ship sails.  IT DOES NOT TRANSLATE INTO ONBOARD CREDITS.  

I thought I was starting our cruise (July 24 Adriatic Jewels), after booking excursions, with plenty of surplus credits for spa services and merchandise and stuff.  Nope.  

We've been passing credits/vouchers forward from prior canceled cruises to this one.  Do you mean if we have a credit balance it disappears once we sail?  IF so, I wonder if we can use that money to pre-pay gratuities? This is important news.  If not shipboard credits does that mean it just goes away?  Wow, thank you.  

1 hour ago, Jchivers said:

Unfortunately those are the terms & conditions, which were clearly explained to us. We could pre-pay shore-ex, gratuities, drinks package, air, etc but once we boarded any remaining balance was gone. Also been discussed extensively on various cruise critic threads.

8 minutes ago, DaveSJ711 said:

So this is proof (as if we needed it): Someone without Covid can indeed be swept up in a quarantine, ordered off the ship, and held in a hotel for 14 days just by virtue of exposure to someone wih Covid. Ouch!

Just watched her videos that she has been posting on her Facebook page describing what they are going through.  Viking should have stepped in earlier to help them.  Took them 4 days to be contacted by Viking.  Scary fact.

32 minutes ago, hutch1994 said:

Just watched her videos that she has been posting on her Facebook page describing what they are going through.  Viking should have stepped in earlier to help them.  Took them 4 days to be contacted by Viking.  Scary fact.

This is everyone’s biggest fear. These breakthrough infections don’t seem that rare. Unfortunately, they didn’t even get to cruise at all. How much is the hotel costing them? Is Viking getting them a flight home when quarantine is over? 

30 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

Unfortunately those are the terms & conditions, which were clearly explained to us. We could pre-pay shore-ex, gratuities, drinks package, air, etc but once we boarded any remaining balance was gone. Also been discussed extensively on various cruise critic threads.

Yikes! At the bottom of our invoice under "Vouchers Applied"  is:

Vouchers*   Total  Applied   Available  with our amounts underneath then a sneaky little * asterisk and the wording:

Will be applied to any item, excluding *Travel Protection and Gifts. Unused voucher funds will not convert to Shipboard Credit for onboard use. *Exceptions may apply; please call for details.

Well (dirty word)! This changes some things.  We will try to find out what the "Exceptions" are. 

Thanks so much for alerting us! 

1 minute ago, travelguy19 said:

This is everyone’s biggest fear. These breakthrough infections don’t seem that rare. Unfortunately, they didn’t even get to cruise at all. How much is the hotel costing them? Is Viking getting them a flight home when quarantine is over? 

They don't know that yet.  Took Viking 4 days before they reached out to them.  Think they are covering their own expenses now and hoping to be reimbursed by their insurance.  Sad situation.

2 hours ago, travelguy19 said:

I’m trying to find out more info. I just checked, and the Viking Venus is in Split, Croatia. So either they were taken off the ship before it left Malta, or (hopefully) it’s FB rumor/ misinformation. I apologize if that’s the case.

It was the August 3 cruise from Malta, as they were taken off the ship on August 4 before it departed Malta.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Tiki-Is-Texas said:

We've been passing credits/vouchers forward from prior canceled cruises to this one.  Do you mean if we have a credit balance it disappears once we sail?  IF so, I wonder if we can use that money to pre-pay gratuities? This is important news.  If not shipboard credits does that mean it just goes away?  Wow, thank you.  

You can use credits for booking spa services. Just book them before your cruise starts. Also good for booking tours paying gratuity’s or booze package. All thing you can pay for before you get to the ship.

4 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

You can use credits for booking spa services. Just book them before your cruise starts. Also good for booking tours paying gratuity’s or booze package. All thing you can pay for before you get to the ship.

Nope.  We booked spa services before sailing, and still wound up paying the full amount.  Tiki-is-Texas: if you still have credit left over after the purchases Heidi13 recommends, about all that's left would be to upgrade your room category. 🙂  

4 hours ago, Tiki-Is-Texas said:

I was able to use our voucher to pre-pay gratuities.  Actually, it just automatically happened when I went to pre-pay the gratuities.  It didn't offer me a choice of ways to pay, just used the voucher.

11 minutes ago, Jchivers said:

Nope.  We booked spa services before sailing, and still wound up paying the full amount.  Tiki-is-Texas: if you still have credit left over after the purchases Heidi13 recommends, about all that's left would be to upgrade your room category. 🙂 

A chat confirmed, spa cannot be prepaid. Oh well, forced to take the booze package, I blame you Viking for my excess consumption! 😇🥂 Booking more excursions I guess. Still going to leave money on the table. Wish we could add it to the prepaid gratuities.  Thank y’all for the heads up. 

• Like 1