Some quick help needed for Alaska trip

I’d like to book an expensive trip to Alaska today but don’t want to until I know what the insurance cost will be.  I will have Medicare by the time we travel and plan on getting a strong supplemental policy to aid with travel.  I have a pre-existing condition which may mean I won’t be able to travel by then or may have to cancel before if my condition comes back.   At this point if we’re able to go I should be able to complete the vacation.  

Do I get a pre-existing waiver or do I get a cancel for any reason?  As background we are booking with Viking which will give you a transferable voucher after final payment up to 14 days prior to travel so if I’m unable to go at the last minute, at least someone in the family could use this trip within 24 months.

I’m shocked at the figures I’m seeing today for pre-existing waivers today.  10% is a lot to put down 2 years in advance for a trip that’s so uncertain.  I’m willing to lose a deposit but the insurance is a hard pill to swallow. 

Well I called Steve as we’ve used him before.....he said book today but wait to buy insurance before final but only after my doctor says I can travel which I hope will be soon.  

So I’m booking!  Excited because we’ve never been to Alaska in all our over 40 cruises.  It gives me a goal to get better and something to start researching and planning.

We had hoped to do it next year but most cabins are booked and we could not add a post excursion trip with it.   Now we have a 10 night costal balcony with a 6 night land trip to follow. 

1 hour ago, cruiselvr04 said:

I’d like to book an expensive trip to Alaska today but don’t want to until I know what the insurance cost will be.  I will have Medicare by the time we travel and plan on getting a strong supplemental policy to aid with travel.  I have a pre-existing condition which may mean I won’t be able to travel by then or may have to cancel before if my condition comes back.   At this point if we’re able to go I should be able to complete the vacation.  

Do I get a pre-existing waiver or do I get a cancel for any reason?  As background we are booking with Viking which will give you a transferable voucher after final payment up to 14 days prior to travel so if I’m unable to go at the last minute, at least someone in the family could use this trip within 24 months.

I’m shocked at the figures I’m seeing today for pre-existing waivers today.  10% is a lot to put down 2 years in advance for a trip that’s so uncertain.  I’m willing to lose a deposit but the insurance is a hard pill to swallow. 

Hi cruiselvr04,

There are a few important things you need pay attention to when it comes to have the waiver of the pre-existing medical conditions exclusion. One is this: "Are you medically able to travel today?"

Here's what I mean: "The insured traveler must be able to travel / take a trip on the day they buy their travel insurance. It doesn’t have to be the exact trip you are insuring. Your doctor has to state that you could leave today on a trip. For example, if you had surgery yesterday, you probably cannot travel today. It doesn’t matter if your doctor says you’ll be able to travel in a few weeks from now. You will not be covered if you buy travel insurance today. If you are unsure, ask your doctor if you can travel today."

Do you meet this requirement?

Steve Dasseos

• 2 months later...