MS Roald Amundsen Antarctic Oct 23 2021

adirondacksailor

I've gotten the same responses from Seattle regarding our Antarctica trip scheduled for December.  I think Hurtigruten want all prospective passengers to get their ducks in a row in case the Antarctica trips are a go, but they really don't know yet because things are still evolving, at least in Argentina.  The government there is making positive statements but still slow in finalizing decisions.  Chile, on the other hand, seems to be a go.  They want tourists back in fast.  That's why Silversea is moving some voyages to Chilean ports -- much to the dismay of Ushuaia.  Lots of fingers crossed.

We booked (for Jan 22) via the .no site. I just checked the cancelled cruises list and, oddly, the list is different between the US site and the Norwegian site. Two October Antarctica cruises are included on the .no site. Here’s the list on the .com (US) site:

• 01.10.2021 | Panama and Peru – Through the Panama Canal and Along the Andean Coast | MS Fram
  • 05.10.2021 | Caribbean Sea – Hidden Highlights and sailing through the Panama Canal (Itinerary 2) | MS Fridtjof Nansen
  • 09.10.2021 | Andean Coast – Expedition from Jungle to Desert (Itinerary 1) | MS Roald Amundsen
  • 19.10.2021 | Andean Coast – Expedition from Jungle to Desert (Itinerary 2) | MS Fridtjof Nansen

And here’s the list on the .no (Norwegian) site:

• 01.10.2021 | Panama og Peru – Gjennom Panamakanalen og langs Andeskysten | MS Fram
  • 05.10.2021 | Karibien – Se skjulte perler og seil gjennom Panamakanalen (reiseplan 2) | MS Fridtjof Nansen
  • 09.10.2021 | Andeskysten – ekspedisjon fra jungel til ørken (reiseplan 1) | MS Roald Amundsen
  • 15.10.2021 | Antarktis, Patagonia og chilenske fjorder – Utforsk høydepunkter på den sydlige halvkule (sørgående) | MS Fram
  • 19.10.2021 | Andeskysten – ekspedisjon fra jungel til ørken (reiseplan 2) | MS Fridtjof Nansen
  • 23.10.2021 | Antarktis, Patagonia, chilenske fjorder – En oppdagelsesreise (sørgående) | MS Roald Amundsen

The text above the .no list (translated) is “Due to international travel restrictions and closed ports, we have canceled a number of expedition cruises. See list of all cancellations in the overview below.”

???

5 hours ago, karen11g said:

We booked (for Jan 22) via the .no site. I just checked the cancelled cruises list and, oddly, the list is different between the US site and the Norwegian site. Two October Antarctica cruises are included on the .no site. Here’s the list on the .com (US) site:

• 01.10.2021 | Panama and Peru – Through the Panama Canal and Along the Andean Coast | MS Fram
  • 05.10.2021 | Caribbean Sea – Hidden Highlights and sailing through the Panama Canal (Itinerary 2) | MS Fridtjof Nansen
  • 09.10.2021 | Andean Coast – Expedition from Jungle to Desert (Itinerary 1) | MS Roald Amundsen
  • 19.10.2021 | Andean Coast – Expedition from Jungle to Desert (Itinerary 2) | MS Fridtjof Nansen

And here’s the list on the .no (Norwegian) site:

• 01.10.2021 | Panama og Peru – Gjennom Panamakanalen og langs Andeskysten | MS Fram
  • 05.10.2021 | Karibien – Se skjulte perler og seil gjennom Panamakanalen (reiseplan 2) | MS Fridtjof Nansen
  • 09.10.2021 | Andeskysten – ekspedisjon fra jungel til ørken (reiseplan 1) | MS Roald Amundsen
  • 15.10.2021 | Antarktis, Patagonia og chilenske fjorder – Utforsk høydepunkter på den sydlige halvkule (sørgående) | MS Fram
  • 19.10.2021 | Andeskysten – ekspedisjon fra jungel til ørken (reiseplan 2) | MS Fridtjof Nansen
  • 23.10.2021 | Antarktis, Patagonia, chilenske fjorder – En oppdagelsesreise (sørgående) | MS Roald Amundsen

The text above the .no list (translated) is “Due to international travel restrictions and closed ports, we have canceled a number of expedition cruises. See list of all cancellations in the overview below.”

???

Well, that seems to clinch it. Cruise is a no-go. Hurtigruten probably hoped for more with Chile‘s new easing of restrictions today. They are now allowing foreign tourists back into country. Would have worked, but require 5 day quarantine even with fully faxed and negative PCR which is ridiculous. Don’t see how that will help their tourism much. 

2 hours ago, adirondacksailor said:

Well, that seems to clinch it. Cruise is a no-go. Hurtigruten probably hoped for more with Chile‘s new easing of restrictions today. They are now allowing foreign tourists back into country. Would have worked, but require 5 day quarantine even with fully faxed and negative PCR which is ridiculous. Don’t see how that will help their tourism much. 

Received just now from the US Hurtigruten office—

We have not cancelled this voyage and thus, have not notified our North American passengers of any changes. I would assume that the company is cancelling for the Norwegian market which is why you found this on their website. We will notify you if there are any changes to the itinerary and if we end up cancelling, which to my knowledge, we do not intend to do. Thank you for your understanding.”

8 minutes ago, pickwright said:

Received just now from the US Hurtigruten office—

We have not cancelled this voyage and thus, have not notified our North American passengers of any changes. I would assume that the company is cancelling for the Norwegian market which is why you found this on their website. We will notify you if there are any changes to the itinerary and if we end up cancelling, which to my knowledge, we do not intend to do. Thank you for your understanding.”

What a mess. I sure wouldn’t want to be in charge!

I just checked the Norwegian site and it is definitely not listed as cancelled.  Please check it yourself to verify.  If you use google chrome it will translate for you, but the dates are pretty obvious.

https://www.hurtigruten.no/ekspedisjonscruise-praktisk-informasjon/koronavirus/ekspedisjonscruise/?_hrgb=3

1 hour ago, SeriousCallersOnly said:

I just checked the Norwegian site and it is definitely not listed as cancelled.  Please check it yourself to verify.  If you use google chrome it will translate for you, but the dates are pretty obvious.

https://www.hurtigruten.no/ekspedisjonscruise-praktisk-informasjon/koronavirus/ekspedisjonscruise/?_hrgb=3

Yes, they put it back on the Norway site a couple of days ago. The ship hasn’t left Norway yet, but still has time as can get to Valparaiso in 21 days or so at top speed. I‘d be worried if I was on the Fram‘s 10/15 cruise, too. 

Think the deciding factor will be if Hutrigruten and Chile can figure out a way for us to get around the 5 day quarantine. Don’t see that happening, but, fingers still crossed. 

And, Hurtigruten is taking a toll on me! My daughter and I are booked on the Fridtjhof Nansen  Buenos Aires- Lisbon TA in April and it’s still listed, but pricing is gone and says booking unavailable??!! They haven’t answered my enquiry yet. 

• Like 1

On 9/21/2021 at 5:05 PM, adirondacksailor said:

Yes, they put it back on the Norway site a couple of days ago. The ship hasn’t left Norway yet, but still has time as can get to Valparaiso in 21 days or so at top speed. I‘d be worried if I was on the Fram‘s 10/15 cruise, too. 

Think the deciding factor will be if Hutrigruten and Chile can figure out a way for us to get around the 5 day quarantine. Don’t see that happening, but, fingers still crossed. 

And, Hurtigruten is taking a toll on me! My daughter and I are booked on the Fridtjhof Nansen  Buenos Aires- Lisbon TA in April and it’s still listed, but pricing is gone and says booking unavailable??!! They haven’t answered my enquiry yet. 

If it is out of Argentina, they are in negotiations for passenger travel and port access.

They are supposed to have decision about January February and March this week.

2 hours ago, SeriousCallersOnly said:

Looks like it would have to do 20 knots to make it.  Not sure if it is possible for that ship to go that fast.  I can't find the waterline length to calculate hull speed but overall length is 374 and if I use 300 feet (as a guess) I get 23 kn.

On their website, Hurtigruten lists the MS Fram's speed at 13 knots!

14 minutes ago, SeriousCallersOnly said:

Yes I know.  But that is likely not the max speed it is capable of in a pinch.

At 13 knots, the Fram will take a minimum of 24 days to reach Valparaiso.  If it can reach a speed of 15 knots, the ship can make the 7500 nm to Chile in under 21 days through the Panama Canal.

Edited by pickwright

I was using the ship-technology website that has top speed of 16 knots for the MS Fram which makes it impossible for them to do the cruise they are still selling online.

Maybe the website that I am using to calculate travel time is too pessimistic. Ports.com has 23.5 days from Andalsnes, Norway to Valparaiso at 16 knots. 

Edited by adirondacksailor

17 minutes ago, adirondacksailor said:

I was using the ship-technology website that has top speed of 16 knots for the MS Fram which makes it impossible for them to do the cruise they are still selling online.

At 16 knots, the sailing time to Chile will be a minimum of 19.5 days through Panama Canal.  According to https://sea-distances.org/

Edited by pickwright

Well, looks like each extra knot means a day quicker. Be it 16 or 20 knots, guess Fram needs to leave in the next few days! 
If it does, then R Amundsen looks good. 
But, I still think it’s all moot with the 5 day quarantine.😢

No responses from Hurtigruten to my emails to as to status of cruises. Thought they’d still feed me an “all is well” canned text. 

1 hour ago, adirondacksailor said:

Lol, my husband, who isn’t going on cruise, is sick of my wondering out loud. He just talked to a Hurtigruten rep in Norway and she said next week we will hear if our R Amundsen date is cancelled or itinerary changed.

Guess I’ll chill for a week!😂

Good info!  Thanks!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SeriousCallersOnly said:

Good info!  Thanks!

Hearing the same from my US Hurtigruten rep.   He was told that their "....operations department will have the details sorted out very soon and that our company plans to make an announcement regarding our upcoming Antarctica season at the end of the month, so within one week from now....."

• Like 1