NWA Pilot Strike Possible

kkelle17

The local news has been reporting that the Northwest Airlines pilots may strike. The strike votes are expected to be counted Feb 28th. We fly out to sail the Volendam on March 1st.

Has anyone ever had any experience with a striking airline? I would imagine if the pilots strike all flights will be grounded.

Last year when NWA mechanics threatened a strike, the company assured the flying public they would have things covered and there would be no disruption in flight schedules. (We flew with them during that time, and there was no problem at all.) With pilots it may be a different story. I'm sure there aren't enough qualified stand-ins waiting in the wings. Let's hope they get things settled.

A few years ago when US Airways threatened to strike - we were scheduled to fly out within that week - we got our money back from them and fly another airline.

We are worried about Delta going out on March 1.

KK,

Are you saying that they refunded your money out of the kindness of their hearts? Or did you have refundable tickets?

Ken,

I didn't realize there is a "cooling off period", makes me feel a bit better. Thanks!

Has anyone ever had any experience with a striking airline? I would imagine if the pilots strike all flights will be grounded.

I don't remember the specifics, but back in '98 there were two airlines not flying; mine was one of them. It happened during the cruise I was on---fortunately I had HAL air. HAL scrambled and re-did the air. They put us up in a hotel overnight, paid for our food, and arranged transportation to the airport.

HAL has always been very good about getting me to the ship, and has provided great cruises. When disembarkation and transfer to transportation has gone well it has gone very well.

But when there's a problem at disembarkation HAL does seem to drop the ball, IMHO. I've had a few instances where---shall we say---communication could have been better.

RuthC

Thanks for sharing.

Yes this may be an instance where I wish I would have purchased my airfare through HAL...

Fortunately I do have cruise insurance through Travelguard. I will have to look over my policy to see if a strike is covered.

RuthC

Thanks for sharing.

Yes this may be an instance where I wish I would have purchased my airfare through HAL...

Fortunately I do have cruise insurance through Travelguard. I will have to look over my policy to see if a strike is covered.

I use TravelGuard Insurance, and they always send an Insert that tells which airlines, cruise line and car rental agencies they wont' cover. Since NWA and Delta are in Bankruptcy, they won't cover either airline! I would suggest calling TravelGuard directly to doublecheck your Policy Coverage?

Just a couple of quick points. The NWA pilots are taking a strike vote (if you are not familiar with how unions work, I suggest you take a little time and find out) the vote will simply tell the union officers whether or not the membership wants to strike and what percentage feel it is necessary. There is no such thing as a 10 day cooling off period.

Cooling off periods are 30 days and they are only used when the 2 parties are in mediation. NWA and ALPA are not in federal mediation. When the federal mediator declares an impasse the 30 day "cooling off period" begins.

What NWA pilots are doing now is preparing for the decision from the banckruptcy court as to whether NWA can throw out their contract with the pilots. If the judge rules that they can do that, then, and only then, the pilots union will act.

I believe it will be settled before that happens, but everyone should be prepared.

The Flight Attendants at NWA are in the very same position as the pilots at this point.

Ed

Archived