Ncl is now showing you can book Alaska 2021

andychris

They also now have the Pacific Coastal on Bliss from Vancouver to LA as available (that one disappeared a while back - I was stalking it). Not sure how they will figure their way around that one, but if it's sailing then I will be on it!!!!

18 minutes ago, ceilidh1 said:

They also now have the Pacific Coastal on Bliss from Vancouver to LA as available (that one disappeared a while back - I was stalking it). Not sure how they will figure their way around that one, but if it's sailing then I will be on it!!!!

Vancouver won't have cruises this year.

Just now, ilovetotravel1977 said:

Vancouver won't have cruises this year.

You don't have to tell me...I live there! Lol. I'm sure they won't, too, but NCL seems to think there is hope...UNLESS they reopened these bookings to cancel them? Is that how they do it?

Saw that this past weekend and snagged a Haven cabin for the end of August on the Bliss. We were supposed to sail on the Bliss in April to Alaska, so if we can catch the Alaska season on the tail end instead of front end, that is fine with us. 

Fingers and toes crossed that it just has an itinerary change and adds on a cruise through glacier bay instead of stopping in BC.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CroozFanatic said:

This moving through the process...

https://www.seattletimes.com/business/senate-passes-bill-to-lift-restrictions-on-seattle-to-alaska-cruises/

Perhaps Frank has nods and winks that this will pass the House and be signed by Biden soon.

I'm going to be called Susie Negatice I'm sure, but I just don't buy it. Perhaps both the house and Biden sign quickly (let's call it June); NCL is still obligated to meet the CDC conditions to sail order. Perhaps there is wind that the CDC is going to ammend that order too? That would be a lot happening in a few short weeks. NCL has already said it will take 60 (or was that 90?) days to go online with a ship. Isn't the Alaska season over by September? 

6 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I'm going to be called Susie Negatice I'm sure, but I just don't buy it. Perhaps both the house and Biden sign quickly (let's call it June); NCL is still obligated to meet the CDC conditions to sail order. Perhaps there is wind that the CDC is going to ammend that order too? That would be a lot happening in a few short weeks. NCL has already said it will take 60 (or was that 90?) days to go online with a ship. Isn't the Alaska season over by September? 

I just booked Bliss in October, so I don't know where you get September from.  

Has everybody forgotten that the same party controls all three entities in Washington now?  Why would the house and president NOT sign a bill approved by the Senate?  They're aching for some appearance of bi-partisan, and this might just be the ticket!  Alaska cruising will help one red state and one blue state.  It will provide jobs.  It will give Canada the finger.  What's not to like Susie??

Edited by CaptainWoody

1 minute ago, CaptainWoody said:

I just booked Bliss in October, so I don't know where you get September from.  

Has everybody forgotten that the same party controls all three entities in Washington now?  Why would the house and president NOT sign a bill approved by the Senate?  They're aching for some appearance of bi-partisan, and this might just be the ticket!  Alaska cruising will help one red state and one blue state.  It will provide jobs.  It will give Canada the finger.  What's not to like??

I lived in Alaska in 1989 working on the Exxon Valdez spill. September started out nicely, but by the end of September the weather took a really nasty spin. By the end of October the sun doesn't even rise until close to 9:30 a.m. and the high temps were in the low 30's. They packed up our team and sent us all back home middle of September. I suppose I"m not surprised that some ships are trying to squeak out a few more weeks from the season but to call October shoulder season in Alaska is a stretch.

I am not at all surprised if the bill will be signed by the House and the President. They have nothing to loose. This bill is a 'just in case' the CDC has major changes. The bigger hold up to the Alaska  is the CDC. No matter what, the CDC must amend the Conditions to Sail order. NCL has already said they can't meet the terms as written. 

5 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I lived in Alaska in 1989 working on the Exxon Valdez spill. September started out nicely, but by the end of September the weather took a really nasty spin. By the end of October the sun doesn't even rise until close to 9:30 a.m. and the high temps were in the low 30's. They packed up our team and sent us all back home middle of September. I suppose I"m not surprised that some ships are trying to squeak out a few more weeks from the season but to call October shoulder season in Alaska is a stretch.

I am not at all surprised if the bill will be signed by the House and the President. They have nothing to loose. This bill is a 'just in case' the CDC has major changes. The bigger hold up to the Alaska  is the CDC. No matter what, the CDC must amend the Conditions to Sail order. NCL has already said they can't meet the terms as written. 

We cruised to Alaska in mid-September 2014 and the weather was fine.  Nobody cruises to Alaska to get a suntan.  I enjoy sitting inside, sipping a drink and watching whatever weather is happening.  If the train ride in Skagway has to plow some snow, all the better!

What the heck is "shoulder season" and who called it?  Do you really need to be raining/snowing on our parade here?  If you're not interested, than just find a thread that suits you better.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, CaptainWoody said:

We cruised to Alaska in mid-September 2014 and the weather was fine.  Nobody cruises to Alaska to get a suntan.  I enjoy sitting inside, sipping a drink and watching whatever weather is happening.  If the train ride in Skagway has to plow some snow, all the better!

What the heck is "shoulder season" and who called it?  Do you really need to be raining/snowing on our parade here?  If you're not interested, than just find a thread that suits you better.

Stop being so sensitive. The is is a message board to share opinions. The OP asked if cruises available on NCL for Alaska are correct. My Opinion is that NCL may have opened up cruises to book, but I don't see them physically cruising from Alaska this season (especially as early as August).

It seems several people are under the wrong assumption that as soon as the Alaska Tourism Restoration act passes cruises will be good to go. This is not true. Cruise ships sailing in Alaska are bound to the CDC Framework for Conditions to Sail and cruise lines have already stated these conditions are unrealistic to meet. I even acknowledged that it is possible for cruises to sail this year if both the Tourism Act Passes and the CDC amends the Framework. If my post helps clear up this confusion for someone else, then the forum has done it's job.

Shoulder season is a common term used in the tourism industry. It identifies the period of time in between heavy bookings. The negatives of shoulder season is that these times are not desirable (for a variety of reasons) when compared to high season. The positive of shoulder season is that this is the period of time that offers the absolute best deals. Hope that helps clarify for you, it's always fun to learn new things :)

2 minutes ago, CaptainWoody said:

🤣  Right back at you sister!

The problem with online communication is that you can't see me smiling. I assure you, I lack sensitivity and wish I had more. I'm glad you weren't offended by my post. I really was just trying to help others and I do hope you October Alaska Cruise goes off without a hitch! Alaska is beautiful in any season.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I do hope you October Alaska Cruise goes off without a hitch! Alaska is beautiful in any season.

Thanks.  We had an October Alaska cruise booked before, and NCL cancelled it.  So we booked an October Miami cruise, which the Governor is trying to cancel.  So now it's back to Alaska, which is what we really wanted.  We just want to cruise in October, and at this point don't really care where.  Seattle is about 1/3 the airfare as Miami (and much less time).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CaptainWoody said:

Thanks.  We had an October Alaska cruise booked before, and NCL cancelled it.  So we booked an October Miami cruise, which the Governor is trying to cancel.  So now it's back to Alaska, which is what we really wanted.  We just want to cruise in October, and at this point don't really care where.  Seattle is about 1/3 the airfare as Miami (and much less time).

Are you asking my opinion? lol.............. I think the safest bet is to sail from Jamaica or the DR where the CDC is out of the equation. 

IMO, the Governor of Florida is irrelevant. As soon as cruises can meet the CDC order and can sail from the USA, Florida will amend whatever they are doing so that cruises will sail from florida.

The rest of this shatter is just confusing everyone. 

2 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I think the safest bet is to sail from Jamaica or the DR where the CDC is out of the equation. 

I have zero desire to fly to a foreign country just to take a cruise (not that there's anything wrong with that....)

• Like 1

Sigh. I shouldn't read this board because the temptation is always too great. I just booked the Labor Day week Alaska cruise on Bliss.

Well, at least it's a short drive to port so if it gets cancelled, there are no travel arrangements to undo. Will it sail? Maybe. Fingers crossed.

• Like 2

At the moment the ONLY Norwegian ship to be in position to sail to Alaska by August would be The Sun.  She is currently docked in Mexico.

In order to meet the 60 to 90 days, Mr. Del Rio is necessary, to get ships in position to sail the following would have to happen in about a 3 week time frame (with a Memorial Day break coming quickly):

The Senate passed the bill and send it to the House.  The Speaker of House would to to assign it to a Committee.  The Committee would have to hold hearings.  The Committee would then vote on it and sent it to the House for a vote.  The House would then have to vote and send it to President Biden.  If the Committee adds anything to the bill, then it would go to a conference committee, sent back to the Senate for a re-vote and then back to the House.

By my calculations ALL OF THIS would have to be accomplished by 15th of June.  After all of this then the CDC would have to decide to amend the No Sail Order which currently expires 31 October.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CaptainWoody said:

I have zero desire to fly to a foreign country just to take a cruise (not that there's anything wrong with that....)

Darn... I was going to suggest you join me in Greece in October for some cheese if Alaska falls through.🐀

• Haha 1