Will I feel out of place traveling as a solo on a Viking cruise?

gailellen12

Under normal circumstances, I would say that you will not feel out of place traveling solo on a Viking cruise.  I have found the Viking passengers to be very friendly and welcoming.   Normally early in the cruise we have a "Meet & Mingle" of Cruise Critic members and this event allows you to form relationships with out travelers.   Also you get a chance to make friends at the Explorers Lounge and on Excursions.   But these are not normal times and I am not sure what to expect.  For example, there is no "Meet & Mingle".    I know the spacing in the Restaurants and Lounges will be larger making striking up a conversations more challenging.  I expect more folks than normal will be spending more time on their verandas and less time in the Explorer Lounge.  So like so many things on this cruise, it is difficult to know exactly what to expect.    I do know that whatever happens, it will be great to get back on a cruise ship with outstanding food and service and to enjoy the spectular scenery Iceland provides.  

• Like 2

Will all depend when you're cruising too.  I'm hoping by the time of our first Viking cruise next September, that it will be a totally different experience than for the folks sailing in the next few months.

• Like 2

Agree with the others that once things get back to normal, I think you’ll feel very comfortable with Viking Ocean.  Don’t know if you’re interested in a Viking river cruise, but I bet that would be even easier for traveling solo.  There are only 190 passengers and the dining room has mostly larger tables (at least they did before Covid).  

I think you will find the answer reading this forum. Most people seem to be friendly and enjoy helping fellow cruisers. Just find some passengers who like to schmooze and everything will be fine!

I just posted something about dining alone on one of the "Iceland's Natural Beauty" threads - the one with lots of pages!  I answered with info from past cruises, but if you're going to Iceland this year, it may be a moot point if Viking needs to/does make changes due to Covid.  While I've never cruised alone, I agree with others - you'll be fine on Viking.