Never sailed RCI... (Princess usually) Can anyone give me some quick 101 info on the new Odyssey of the seas?

I admit that this is just dreaming and wishful thinking...  But I see an incredible itinerary on this ship.

I like the fact that is a new ship, and not needing updating and refurb.

We have enjoyed Princess, and the Regal has been my favorite....  I think they have made mistakes in changes to their new ships.

Anyhow, I am just not sure I can handle the Water/Theme park thing.  I like being able to relax on deck and enjoy just being at sea.

Princess' Sanctuary is wonderful.

Also, I wonder how the dining and different restaurant/venues might compare to Princess?

Have enjoyed the great and extensive buffet, the three main dining rooms that are a bit smaller and one level... 

What would the Solarium be like?

Is it totally enclosed, or can it be open-air?

Any links to photos would be much appreciated.

Thanks so much for any input!

12 minutes ago, Wishing on a star said:

Any links to photos would be much appreciated.

You won't get that until someone actually sails on her. For general info, search on  her Quantum class siblings.

Edited by Biker19

12 minutes ago, Wishing on a star said:

We have enjoyed Princess, and the Regal has been my favorite....  I think they have made mistakes in changes to their new ships

What features didn't you like on Princess new builds? Thus will give people insight whether Royal would be a good fit for you. Without knowing what you like and dislike and Princess I would say Celebrity might be a better fit for you. No water park - type stuff to avoid,a more refined and upscale experience. 

There are a couple (3 that I could count) of Odyssey sailings that recently popped up on Cruising Power for dates beginning in July from Fort Lauderdale.  They are (so far) 6 days itins; they are still "closed" so you cannot book and no prices....and who knows if they are permanent....but this might be a clue about which port in FL OY will be sailing from.

• Like 1

Thanks!  I am interested because of this one itinerary.   Not that I have to really prefer RCI.   This is a 2022 sailing that I would hope would go as scheduled.  And, this would be a cruise where we would be onshore quite a bit.  Just wondering how it would be onboard.  Mostly avoiding that top deck.

I did find some recent videos.  Promo videos, and videos shot by the current staff.   I did see the Solarium!    Looks great!  While it is not exclusive, and could be very full,  it looks very nice.   (Princess Sanctuary is more exclusive and you have to book it.)

How do they run the Solarium?   What are their policies for chair saving, and that kind of thing?  Can it be hard to find a seat in a nice spot?

I also saw good video of the Main Dining Room.   Huge..  and two levels, with Giovanni's making a third level.   Tables were literally millimeters apart.   So, probably would want to avoid that as much as possible as well.

So, given that, what would you guys find to be the preferred dining. 

Everything from Steak to Italian.

And, what are the casual onboard options like.

Burgers, Pizza, Sandwiches, etc.

Anything like the Princess International Cafe?  (I do see a Starbucks...)

Edited by Wishing on a star

You may want to check Tony Rockets YouTube channel.   He is part of the crew of the Odyssey and is documenting his experience with videos of all the venues.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCC6OI-UozVAiKBSmKmqBRAg