Return to cruising: a (hopefully) drama-free zone

AdoraBelle

I know this never works, but I'm going to try it anyway. 

Would anyone like to discuss their return to cruising, specifically on NCL (since this is the NCL board), but without actually arguing about politics, masks, or the pandemic? I would personally enjoy such a discussion. I miss the days of merely making fun of NCL's minor policy decisions, but I can even exercise self-restraint in that regard if it will help keep things chill here. 

I will probably pull the trigger on an Alaska cruise tomorrow, for August. I've looked at NCL's return to service policies, and I'm pleased with them. (I'd link, but I'm trying to avoid another thread about masks and vaccinations. It's easy to find on their site, though.) 

I've never been to Alaska, and have never sailed out of Seattle. I have been on the Bliss when she was doing a winter run out of Miami, and I do remember the fantastic Obs lounge, although I'm sure it will be PACKED to the gills in Alaska. I won't have a balcony (solo studio for me, unless a deal pops up), and I'm considering a spa pass as a backup viewing location just in case the obs lounge is really impenetrable. 

I've never even really considered Alaska because it will be such a long flight for me, and the thought of my first post-pandemic flight being so long makes me a little antsy. But something about it is very appealing right now, after not having traveled for so long. (My last cruise was a cruise to Bermuda out of NYC in July 2019.)

Would take any advice about, for example, hotels near the port (it's Pier 66, I gather?), and/or some other area I should stay in. With the flights I'm looking at, I will get into Seattle too early to check into a hotel, with my baggage in tow, and most likely desperate for a shower, so I'm also trying to figure out how to kill a few hours. Or find a hotel that will let me pay a little for early checkin. (I think I would land a little after 10am. For Florida I never thought twice about flying day-of, obviously not doing that this time.)

Yeah, my Alaska ignorance is pretty breathtaking. I have a hard time packing light for the Caribbean, so this should be interesting. 

I know a title like this is basically throwing out chum for trolls and the irrationally hostile, so I wanted to include this useful link: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/ignore/

Edited by AdoraBelle
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

And another: anyone know if the Bliss (or any NCL ships?) still have the Peloton bikes in the gym? I see them on a gym walkthrough of the inaugural sailing, but of course that was a while back now. (Actually, based on my experience with NCL's internet connectivity, not totally sure how a Peloton bike would work onboard ...)

Edited by AdoraBelle

I am from Seattle AND I am booked on the Bliss 9/11. I was going to book mid August (cuz...sooner is better)😁 but my TA “suggested” I wait till September only because of the logistics of getting the Bliss to seattle from its current position in Southampton, getting fully ready with crew, etc...also, I am curious as to how those early cruises go and if some of the kinks get worked out with protocols, etc.   ANYWAY...I have booked a balcony this time (and taking my adult son) but I have sailed her in the studios back in 2019.  I think the Bliss might have the nicest studios of the fleet and I loved the “virtual window”.  Can’t necessarily help you in regards to hotels but if you have other questions I will help if I can?

i personally cannot WAIT to be back onboard a cruise ship!

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, AdoraBelle said:

Another question: under my coupons and credits, it shows some sort of "10% off" coupon, in addition to my cruise next certificates. Is this going to be combinable with stacked CruiseNext certs?

Don’t about the “combinable” aspect, (I’ve never used cruisenext certificates) but my TA also found the 10% off coupon and was able to apply it...bonus!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, chefchick said:

I think the Bliss might have the nicest studios of the fleet and I loved the “virtual window”

OH WOW. I completely forgot about the virtual window in the studios. That would be nice to have in Alaska. 

4 minutes ago, chefchick said:

Can’t necessarily help you in regards to hotels but if you have other questions I will help if I can?

Thanks, really appreciate it. 

I am booked on the Joy for an October 19 departure.  We booked this last year and it is our first back-to-back cruise.  We will be enjoying the same rear-facing balcony cabin on each cruise.  The first of the back-to back itinerary has a few ports we have never visited.  The second will re-visit some favorite ports.

We are looking forward to it and will be scheduling our flights to Miami tomorrow.  Comments regarding the Joy and back-to-back cruising are welcome.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, AdoraBelle said:

Another question: under my coupons and credits, it shows some sort of "10% off" coupon, in addition to my cruise next certificates. Is this going to be combinable with stacked CruiseNext certs?

Yes, you can use the coupon for the discount and the CruiseNext certs would be used as payment.

2nd the Bliss Studios being the best...love the new design of the lounge (one story vs 2) and the virtual window.  Just an FYI, you can turn it off if you don't want to be woken up in the morning when the sun comes up (but I enjoy looking out to see where we are before going back to sleep).

As far as hotels, I have visited Seattle but never sailed from there.  I would check the West Coast departures board for information on where to stay close to port. I know there is a Marriott nearby but have not read many good things about it.  Love Seattle and Alaska...have a great time!

• Like 1

we stayed in the Seattle Marriott Waterfront, as we could  walk to the port, with our luggage

The Waterfront on the Bliss wasn't busy for our Alaska cruise, if you dress warmly it is beautiful (but about 60 degrees)

Bring a rain jacket

excursions were very expensive (in 2018 & 2019) it was amazing to take the helicopter onto the Glacier

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AdoraBelle said:

Would take any advice about, for example, hotels near the port (it's Pier 66, I gather?), and/or some other area I should stay in.

Are you looking for a nice hotel that will be simple or a hotel "experience," that will provide more than a comfortable bed in safe surroundings.  Some folks want fancy waterfront, even thought they're about to spend seven days in fancy waterfront.  Others just want a place to sleep and easily make it to the port to sail.  Due to recent events, I personally have no desire to do anything in Seattle this October other than to "pass through."  We've sailed out of there twice before and exhausted all tourist attractions we wanted to (i.e. underground city, market and flight museum).  We may have also taken a harbor boat ride, but that was more just to kill time.  I think they also have an aquarium that's pretty nice.  This year, it's strictly to and from the ship with a Zeke's pizza at some point.

Edited by CaptainWoody

We have cruised extensively, our Alaska Cruise was one of the best!  It was not on the Bliss, have been on the Bliss before loved it.  We are from Oregon and use to look forward to our overnight trips to Seattle, but things have changed in the "downtown" area..  We use to stay at the Warwick  little away from the Cruise terminal, but not that far.

"enjoy Cruising"  you posted your October 19th cruise on the Joy, we are booked also, but did not know about a back to back , could you give more detail??  thanks

14 minutes ago, SkierRobUMN said:

How does one get a 10% off coupon? I’d sure like that. 

It just seemed to be attached to my account, under my “coupons and credits”.

No idea why, I never had a cruise booked or canceled during the entire pandemic. I just have some cruise next certificates from 2019. 

The two closest hotels to Pier 66 are the Marriott already mentioned and the Edgewater Hotel; the latter is right next to the pier. Wherever you stay, you can almost always drop off your bags early and then go play tourist for a while before hotel check-in time.

Unlike the other pier in Seattle (Pier 91), there's no sane dropoff/pickup area for private vehicles or ride sharing services. If you use Uber/Lyft/taxi to arrive at or depart the pier, direct the driver to one of those hotels or the Bell Street Pier Garage at the intersection of Elliott Avenue and Bell Street. It's a super-easy stroll from the garage across the Bell Street pedestrian bridge, which takes you straight to the pier.

Yes, the Observation Lounge is going to be a busy, busy place. Still magnificent. But... don't limit yourself to the Observation Lounge. Go chill out on the Waterfront. There's lots of comfortable seating and you'll see the little details you'd miss being higher up & behind glass. I liked to hang out just aft of Tradewinds because I could easily dash from one side of the ship to the other to check out the scenery.

If you get a Thermal Suite pass, you'll have an amazing view from the lounger area. Keep in mind that you won't be the only one who realizes that, though!

Pack light layers and sunscreen.

1 hour ago, coastcat said:

The two closest hotels to Pier 66 are the Marriott already mentioned and the Edgewater Hotel; the latter is right next to the pier. Wherever you stay, you can almost always drop off your bags early and then go play tourist for a while before hotel check-in time.

Why would somebody need to be "close" to the pier?

2 hours ago, CaptainWoody said:

She asked about the closest, and those two are the closest. 

The Edgewater includes a huge mural painted by Wyland, who is also responsible for the Bliss hull art. 

6 hours ago, AdoraBelle said:

It just seemed to be attached to my account, under my “coupons and credits”.

No idea why, I never had a cruise booked or canceled during the entire pandemic. I just have some cruise next certificates from 2019. 

Same here. Coupon is valid from 5/10/21 to 6/30/21. No e-mail notification. Loyal customer tho.

Rain jacket is a must have.  Recommend at least long underwear, wool hat and wool socks as bring alongs. Pair the rain jacket with a light down jacket and you'll be comfy.  Live south of Seattle and this combo works year round. AK in summer can be like our May weather, 50-60 f and damp

• Like 1

I lived in Alaska for a year and have also cruised there numerous times. I love it there!! You are going to have an amazing time. One of the best ways to ensure an exceptional Alaska vacation is to dress appropriately as cptboatface mentioned. There is no such thing as bad weather, just bad dressing for weather. I would add to his list a second pair of waterproof shoes. If your shoes get wet in Port A, you want to be able to put on dry shoes for port B. The vents in the cabins come from the ceiling don't allow for shoes to dry as quickly as home. As long as I have dry shoes I'm comfortable (Also bring smartwool socks, techno clothing has come a long long way). 

I maybe joining you on one of the September departures :). GREAT thread 🙂

Edited by BermudaBound2014
  • Like 3

Pulled the trigger on one of the August sailings this afternoon. (I just had a courtesy hold over the weekend.)

NCL rep was able to apply 2x CruiseNext certs and stack them with the 10% off discount. 

Flights are booked. Will be the longest flights I've been on, but I was able to swing first class due to a lot of unused and accumulating miles during the pandemic. I need to grab some trip insurance. 

I still know almost nothing about Alaska cruises besides what's been mentioned by the kind folks in this thread. I got the email (there are other threads about it) from NCL a short while ago with the itinerary change, which correctly reflects the lack of a Canada stop. (Due to my Alaska ignorance, I'm not sure if the new stop is good or bad or neutral.) I hear the President signed the PVSA waiver bill this afternoon, though. 

Lots of research to do!

I had to unsubscribe from one of the popular cruise podcasts about a month ago because they decided to become a political podcast instead, but I found a nice replacement today. It's UK based, but they are covering current US cruise news as well, including the opening of the Alaska season. The Big Cruise Podcast. They also include interesting tidbits of maritime history. 

I think this will be my first breakaway class cruise where I don't bother booking the thermal suite. $249 now. It used to be one of my favorite places on the ship, but the last few trips I just remember getting an instant headache from all the chlorine (or whatever they use) in the air. 

There is supposedly going to be a show called Six onboard, which is right up my alley (Six Wives of Henry VIII musical? Heck yes) but it can't be booked yet, and I assume nothing is guaranteed yet, with regards to things like being able to get entertainers back on board. 

18 hours ago, CaptainWoody said:

Why Not be close to the pier

To OP Anthonys at Pier 66 is a good restaurant right at the port 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, AdoraBelle said:

(Due to my Alaska ignorance, I'm not sure if the new stop is good or bad or neutral.)

I think that for anybody who has been on an Alaska cruise before, it is a good thing.  I've seen all I need to see of Victoria for now, so visiting a new port will be a nice change.

5 minutes ago, jonbgd said:

Why Not be close to the pier

I think we're dealing with semantics.  Somebody posted what the "closest" hotels were, and that really wasn't what the OP asked.  Certainly, I want an easy ride to the pier the morning of the cruise, but there are numerous hotels in Seattle that provide that.  We've stayed at the Hyatt Place twice and had great experiences.  Fairly new and they will shuttle you to restaurants the night before and the pier the day of the cruise.  Also have a free hot breakfast (in normal times) that is just right before boarding the ship for a week of over eating.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AdoraBelle said:

Pulled the trigger on one of the August sailings this afternoon. (I just had a courtesy hold over the weekend.)

NCL rep was able to apply 2x CruiseNext certs and stack them with the 10% off discount. 

Flights are booked. Will be the longest flights I've been on, but I was able to swing first class due to a lot of unused and accumulating miles during the pandemic. I need to grab some trip insurance. 

I still know almost nothing about Alaska cruises besides what's been mentioned by the kind folks in this thread. I got the email (there are other threads about it) from NCL a short while ago with the itinerary change, which correctly reflects the lack of a Canada stop. (Due to my Alaska ignorance, I'm not sure if the new stop is good or bad or neutral.) I hear the President signed the PVSA waiver bill this afternoon, though. 

Lots of research to do!

I had to unsubscribe from one of the popular cruise podcasts about a month ago because they decided to become a political podcast instead, but I found a nice replacement today. It's UK based, but they are covering current US cruise news as well, including the opening of the Alaska season. The Big Cruise Podcast. They also include interesting tidbits of maritime history. 

I think this will be my first breakaway class cruise where I don't bother booking the thermal suite. $249 now. It used to be one of my favorite places on the ship, but the last few trips I just remember getting an instant headache from all the chlorine (or whatever they use) in the air. 

There is supposedly going to be a show called Six onboard, which is right up my alley (Six Wives of Henry VIII musical? Heck yes) but it can't be booked yet, and I assume nothing is guaranteed yet, with regards to things like being able to get entertainers back on board. 

Supposedly we'll have Six and Jersey Boys onboard. I got distracted and missed my Six reservation so I'm hoping to catch it this time!

There's a forum on Cruise Critic for Alaska. You'll find tons of info there although of course some of it won't apply anymore (or at least not yet). 

• Like 1