Viking Vouchers - Are they Saleable?

toolworker

Has anyone ever tried to sell a transferable Viking cruise voucher? Is there a market for them?

I'm tempted to book a cruise for later this year before the current Risk-Free Guarantee expires at the end of this month (May 2021). The vouchers are transferable, so if we had to cancel before 14 days out and couldn't find another cruise within 24 months, I could try to sell them.

Lots of NCL vouchers are listed on eBay, and are actually selling (completed listings) around half of face value even in today's uncertain situation. But I don't see any Viking vouchers listed and wonder if there's a reason.

I believe that if you don't use the voucher within the 24 month period that you can request a refund at the end of the 24 month period. Beats getting only 50 cents on the dollar.

You should double check this with Viking via their tellus@vikingcruises.com address  -- not via chat or the published phone number.

Thanks for your reply. Different vouchers have different terms. The cash refund sounds like it might apply to a voucher for a cancelled cruise at a higher face value than taking an immediate refund. The Terms and Conditions for the program for bookings from March 1 to May 31 says "Voucher must be redeemed by the expiration date prior to final payment," and doesn't mention refunds.

My thinking is that I'd book a cruise hoping and expecting to go. But just in case, I would have the option to cancel up to 14 days before departure and get the voucher. Then I'd expect to use the voucher, but just in case, could probably sell it. And if they're going for 50 cents on the dollar now, they'd probably be worth more in 12 or 18 months.

No guarantees here, just playing the probabilities. 

51 minutes ago, toolworker said:

Thanks for your reply. Different vouchers have different terms. The cash refund sounds like it might apply to a voucher for a cancelled cruise at a higher face value than taking an immediate refund. The Terms and Conditions for the program for bookings from March 1 to May 31 says "Voucher must be redeemed by the expiration date prior to final payment," and doesn't mention refunds.

My thinking is that I'd book a cruise hoping and expecting to go. But just in case, I would have the option to cancel up to 14 days before departure and get the voucher. Then I'd expect to use the voucher, but just in case, could probably sell it. And if they're going for 50 cents on the dollar now, they'd probably be worth more in 12 or 18 months.

No guarantees here, just playing the probabilities. 

Don't guess on the refund thing; ask Viking. Better than spending two years second guessing.

Can't tell you about the line you mentioned but I think on Viking that would require a different booking.  I know under past conditions, if you change a name the booking is cancelled and you are required to rebook.

On 5/24/2021 at 9:37 AM, Peregrina651 said:

Don't guess on the refund thing; ask Viking. Better than spending two years second guessing.

You were guessing. I was reading the Terms and Conditions. But I did check and Viking confirms that for these particular vouchers, if they are not used within 24 months they become valueless. There is no cash refund. There are other vouchers, issued for a cruise cancelled by Viking, that do have a cash refund.

These are transferrable and there is no prohibition on selling them. Viking discourages it but does nothing to make it difficult. If you have a buyer (or lucky giftee), you email Viking with their name and email and a transfer request, and Viking emails the reassigned voucher to them. 

Yes,  Redtravel,  I am with you there. "Risk Free" as it is used now by travel providers means stuff like "no penalty for your cancellation", "if you cancel, you will not forfeit your $,  you will receive a future cruise credit". Terms and Conditions will apply, have expiration dates, etc. Suggest that you copy and paste and save your specific booking condition terms as these are changing, it seems hourly.

• Like 1