How does Royal limit ship capacity to 50%?

exm

I would imagine that the only way to justifiably "bump" people without totally ticking everybody off is the old fashioned "fair" way.

In the order of when you booked your cruise.  In other words first come first served.  Lift and shifts would be probably in the "safe zone" I would guess.

• Haha 1

I noticed that the deck maps have changed on a lot. I think they are selling more 2 person cabins and reducing the # of cabins available to more people. I also heard some inside cabins will be used for crew to give them more space. I think they have adjusted what is available as they went a long to keep it right. They also jack the prices when they get close to that limit. I do think some will cancel because of the vaccinations as well. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ticketsunlimited said:

I would imagine that the only way to justifiably "bump" people without totally ticking everybody off is the old fashioned "fair" way.

In the order of when you booked your cruise.  In other words first come first served.  Lift and shifts would be probably in the "safe zone" I would guess.

There is no indication on my booking that says this is a replacement cruise for the first bunch of cruises last March (less than two weeks notice, and lift and shirt wasn't a thing then)... which I had booked over a year prior. So there isn't anything fair about your assumption. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mauraoel said:

There is no indication on my booking that says this is a replacement cruise for the first bunch of cruises last March (less than two weeks notice, and lift and shirt wasn't a thing then)... which I had booked over a year prior. So there isn't anything fair about your assumption. 

Lift and shift would be cruises booked last September where move to this September which means they those were booked a year + ago and they would get priority over people that booked a cruise for September say two months ago.  Thats what I meant the earlier lift and shift should be part of the 50% sailing.

21 minutes ago, exm said:

CDC requires initial sailings to sail at reduced capacity. I believe it's 50%.

I just scanned the entire CSO again. I can find nowhere in the documents where it says the ship must be limited in capacity, especially to 50%. Does anyone have a link to this info?

I can find where specific venues (shows, dining) need reduced capacity for social distancing, but I'm not sure it still contains anything indicating the ship can only sail half full.

7 hours ago, ticketsunlimited said:

Lift and shift would be cruises booked last September where move to this September which means they those were booked a year + ago and they would get priority over people that booked a cruise for September say two months ago.  Thats what I meant the earlier lift and shift should be part of the 50% sailing.

I booked this cruise this year... there is no way Royal would know that this is a replacement from our March 2020 cancelation,  booked over a year prior, along with two other replacements that were canceled.  How is "fair" to cancel us?

I can't recall if it was Royal or Celebrity...but one was not selling inside cabins or ocean view on some of the initial sailings. There was a reduced capacity requirement... I believe that was back in the original CDC requirements...not sure that was kept as they updated..but some of the social distancing. So I am wondering if passengers who had booked these cabins earlier...might have had their trips cancelled...while those who may have booked balcony cabins..at a later time...still have reservations?

12 hours ago, ticketsunlimited said:

When we did lift and shift on Celebrity...it was for the same category of cabin.... So..if they are not using inside and/or ocean view for passengers..it seems that regardless of when you booked...you would lose out. I suspect that is what is going on. Information has been changing so quickly it is hard to keep up...but as I vaguely recall when we booked our Aug Royal Nassau sailing I was told that the inside cabins were not available.. I think Ocean view was part of that as well..but to be honest... I am going by memory on this...   We sail both Royal and Celebrity..and it can get confusing ...even though they are part of the same company... add to that CDC changes... 

50 minutes ago, jrapps said:

I just scanned the entire CSO again. I can find nowhere in the documents where it says the ship must be limited in capacity, especially to 50%. Does anyone have a link to this info?

I can find where specific venues (shows, dining) need reduced capacity for social distancing, but I'm not sure it still contains anything indicating the ship can only sail half full.

Didnt Mr. Fain say on his video yesterday ships will have reduced capacity?  I dont think he said a %.

• Like 1

Just now, Sunshine3601 said:

Didnt Mr. Fain say on his video yesterday ships will have reduced capacity?  I dont think he said a %.

Yes, he did say that they will start sailing with reduced capacity, and he didn't give a number or a time range for how long they will sail with reduced capacity.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Yeah, I don't doubt there is a reduced capacity, I just can't find it in the CSO.

4 minutes ago, jrapps said:

Yeah, I don't doubt there is a reduced capacity, I just can't find it in the CSO.

It may have been in the original CSO requirements, but you're right that it's not easy to find. Fact is that the RC will sail at reduced capacity initially and I'm curious how they'll approach this. Maybe they'll simply stop sales when the target percentage is reached, although I can't imagine them limiting the number of suites to be available.

5 minutes ago, exm said:

It may have been in the original CSO requirements, but you're right that it's not easy to find. Fact is that the RC will sail at reduced capacity initially and I'm curious how they'll approach this. Maybe they'll simply stop sales when the target percentage is reached, although I can't imagine them limiting the number of suites to be available.

If the point is to protect the health of any non-vaccinated passengers, and thus to avoid a public relations disaster right at the restart of cruising, it would be logical to restrict the sale of inside and window cabins, and only sell balconies and suites with balconies (not all suites have balconies).  On that basis, on the newer ships I assume that way more than 50% of the cabins have balconies so RC should do fine from a revenue perspective.  On older ships with fewer balconies and suites not so sure?

They could leave any inside and outside cabins that had been sold before the initial shutdown, and just not sell any more?

Edited by Brucemcdou

I found an old post on the RC Blog. Seems there isn't an "official" percentage, I think the guideline is  just each line can reduce overall capacity as necessary to achieve the reduced capacity they need in theaters, dining rooms, etc. According to the blog:

"One of the health protocols that the Healthy Sail Panel proposed, and adopted by the cruise industry, is to limit how many passengers are able to go on a cruise ship in order to allow for appropriate physical distancing on board. The exact percentage of a ship's capacity that will be reduced will depend on the size and design of each cruise ship."

So will it be reduced....yes. Is 50% the right number? Doubtful. My guess is most ships will sail at most 30% reduced capacity. We may never know a true number. My hope is that once info on any specific sailing comes out, a certain # of people will automatically cancel (such as the "I wont sail with a mask" or "my kid won't get the vaccine") and this will naturally reduce the capacity.

Edited by jrapps
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, gadaboutgal said:

At 50% they break even.

That completely depends on the cost of each room and additional revenue brought in (meals, drinks, excursions, etc.). I'm sure some cruises break even at 25% and some at 80%, like hotels and airlines. There's no such thing as a set occupancy number that every cruise breaks even. 

• Like 1