How does Royal limit ship capacity to 50%?

exm

1 hour ago, Hoopster95 said:

biker has been posting excerpts from various SEC filings since Covid began, and I'm pretty sure in one of them was the mention (and then the following discussion on  several  threads here on CC) that the bigger classes (and specifically Oasis Class) can break even at approximately 30% occupancy.

I don't recall any of RCCL's SEC filing mentioning break even points - that was either speculation by CC posters or from some other source.

16 hours ago, Biker19 said:

I don't recall any of RCCL's SEC filing mentioning break even points - that was either speculation by CC posters or from some other source.

Apologies biker... if it wasn't yourself, then someone posted a Fein or other officer's dialogue from RC blog, or another interview of some sort, or?? I just can't remember. Pretty sure there was a source and/or quote at the time, there was much discussion about it

21 hours ago, Biker19 said:

It was mentioned in one of Fains older TA weekly meetings.  There was a beak even point mentioned for Oasis class and a higher percentage for the smaller class ships.

One was 50% and I don’t remember the other.

On 5/25/2021 at 10:39 AM, jrapps said:

I suspect that making a profit may not even be a goal of the first few cruises back. It could just be "lose less money" and prove that sailing can be safe.

Anything they get over the marginal cost of each additional passenger will contribute towards their fixed costs. They've been eating that for well over a year now and servicing billions in debt is not cheap. Doesn't matter if that thing is sailing with 1000 souls onboard or 30 anchored off Cococay. 

Edited by death_star

I noticed just today that the two cruises I have booked for Sept/Oct 2021 suddenly both show interior and ocean view as sold out.  Both still had cabins available in all categories as recently as two days ago.  Could just be coincidence, but could also be a way to easily limit bookings.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, rajacks said:

I noticed just today that the two cruises I have booked for Sept/Oct 2021 suddenly both show interior and ocean view as sold out.  Both still had cabins available in all categories as recently as two days ago.  Could just be coincidence, but could also be a way to easily limit bookings.

We booked Symphony for September just this week ; ocean view has been "sold out" since I first looked on Tuesday.

• Like 1

I did a mock booking for my Oasis cruise in September to check the Boardwalk Balcony prices. At this point, they’re only booking decks 8,11 and 14 on every sailing that month. This is a little disconcerting since we’re fully paid for our Deck 10 Boardwalk Balcony!

15 hours ago, death_star said:

Anything they get over the marginal cost of each additional passenger will contribute towards their fixed costs. They've been eating that for well over a year now and servicing billions in debt is not cheap. Doesn't matter if that thing is sailing with 1000 souls onboard or 30 anchored off Cococay. 

They have all of these assets and have seen no return on them for over a year.  Any return on them as well as the timing of refunds will help cash flow.

• Like 1

It could be possible that they would block off unsold cheaper cabins, which would then look booked or unavailable, at the point where the ship reaches a certain percentage booked?  Which could be a different date for each sailing.   That wouldn't have necessarily happened on one particular day, as the two posters above mentioned.

For example... The particular ship is to sail at 70% capacity.  When the ship reaches a point where they can block the cheapest cabins, like maybe at 55% capacity, and then hope to reach the allowed capacity when the remaining balconies and suites are sold, on that date the algorithm would block all the cheaper categories.  This would maximize the fare brought in by each guest.

Could there be a case where an upcoming cruise was already booked above capacity when the pandemic shut everything down????   Hhhhmmm????   That would have to be the case before they would have to offer any mandatory move-over incentives to get guests to give up that sailing and move to another.  (cancel or kick guest off the sailing)

Edited by Wishing on a star

21 hours ago, later said:

It was mentioned in one of Fains older TA weekly meetings.  There was a beak even point mentioned for Oasis class and a higher percentage for the smaller class ships.

One was 50% and I don’t remember the other.

Thank you for confirming.... it was approx 50% occupancy to break even on Radiance Class, 30% on Oasis Class.