Royal Caribbean App - Working on the Fun?

2 hours ago, 3kidsncats said:

Was just reading an announcement about it — costs $1.99 pp per day, must purchase for entire cruise.  We have the voom package for our first week, so going to see how WhatsApp works with WiFi first, before deciding to pay for the RCI version.  Being able to text when traveling with friends or family is very helpful.

$1.99 per?? What the actual?!?! Even if you have VOOM??  Either way if you’re connected to WiFi can’t you just use iMessage if you’re both on iPhones?

53 minutes ago, YankeesFan4Life said:

$1.99 per?? What the actual?!?! Even if you have VOOM??  Either way if you’re connected to WiFi can’t you just use iMessage if you’re both on iPhones?

They blocked that a few years ago.

5 minutes ago, YankeesFan4Life said:

They blocked what? iMessage?  I was told by them that I could use iMessage to text with my kids back home. So even by having the VOOM surf and stream I still need to pay $1.99 per???

No, you would not have to pay the $1.99, that is just to use their onboard messaging in their app.  But I seem to remember that people were using imessage in the past without any internet package, but then it was blocked.  It would not be blocked if you have Voom, only for people that did not have an internet package.  But then again, I have found that my memory is not always correct.

Edited by MrMarc
correction

Not so much 😁 at Biker19. Since posting, the "Get more details on ships we support" link started working. It does cover Adventure of the Seas, which I'm sailing on. But the farthest out the cruise dates for the ship go is Oct 5 - Oct 14, 2021. So, as someone else in this thread mentioned, maybe for a January 2022 cruise it is too early to start "working on the fun."

Edited by choose2cruz
addition

5 hours ago, orville99 said:

What i find weird is that “working on the fun” statement is in the app for our August Allure cruise, but every cruise after that one the app functions properly.

my august 8th allure cruise just starting working...  alot not there but at least looks like we might cruise lol

• Like 1

3 hours ago, YankeesFan4Life said:

Yes, you can use your own WiFi enabled messaging apps if you have voom — which is what we are planning on doing

eta — the friends we are traveling with don’t have iPhones, so WhatsApp will be easier for messaging onboard since we have Voom.

Edited by 3kidsncats

10 hours ago, MrMarc said:

But then again, I have found that my memory is not always correct.

You have it right. On some ships, both iMessage and some other messaging app traffic got through without a VOOM package. That "feature" apparently was discontinued about 2 years go.

9 hours ago, choose2cruz said:

Not so much 😁 at Biker19. Since posting, the "Get more details on ships we support" link started working. It does cover Adventure of the Seas, which I'm sailing on. But the farthest out the cruise dates for the ship go is Oct 5 - Oct 14, 2021. So, as someone else in this thread mentioned, maybe for a January 2022 cruise it is too early to start "working on the fun."

My November 1st Indy cruise is now showing on the app.  Very happy to see it.  So maybe they're making them available 4 months in advance???

16 hours ago, orville99 said:

What i find weird is that “working on the fun” statement is in the app for our August Allure cruise, but every cruise after that one the app functions properly.

Wow!  You are right!  I get the same “Working on the Fun” message for our September Allure cruise but can easily access the rest of the functions provided on the App for the cruises after that one.  I never tried beyond that first cruise until I read your post.  

On 5/30/2021 at 8:03 AM, Biker19 said:

Yes.

OK, so I want to make sure I understand you correctly regarding using the app for texting  your family on the ship. I do not purchase the voom package, so can I still get free texting through the app and how does that work?  As you can tell from this post I am NOT tech savvy.   

p.s. I finished reading the entire thread after I posted this, so it seems I must have voom to use the app.

Edited by The sea calls my name
additional information

13 minutes ago, The sea calls my name said:

OK, so I want to make sure I understand you correctly regarding using the app for texting  your family on the ship. I do not purchase the voom package, so can I still get free texting through the app and how does that work?  

p.s. I finished reading the entire thread after I posted this, so it seems I must have voom to use the app.

You don't need  a VOOM package to use the app.

I have not read any posts whether the texting option within the RCI app costs anything. 

If you want to text using any other app, then you'll need a VOOM package. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Biker19 said:

You have it right. On some ships, both iMessage and some other messaging app traffic got through without a VOOM package. That "feature" apparently was discontinued about 2 years go.

Thanks for confirming that, I was too lazy to search it to confirm.