Does Holland America Do Up-sell?

BMast

I am booked on a Statendam Hong Kong to Osaka cruise that is sailing in March. My agent is not available at this time because of health reasons. Complicated. :rolleyes: I see that there are a number of cabins available on this cruise and I am wondering if HAL does up-sells.

I have not previously sailed with Holland America but I have sailed a number of times with Princess, NCL, Celebrity, Radisson and Renaissance and have found that Radisson, Celebrity and NCL will do up-sells if called on low selling cruises.

Thanks, any information would be appreciated.

Betty.

If upsale means trying to get you to purchase a higher cost cabin, then no. I don't know that HAL does this. (One exception, noted below.) It's more a function of a travel agent since it means a higher commission to them.

If you mean upgrade, then yes (sometimes.) If certain higher cost cabins aren't selling, HAL will move people up at no extra change into them if they think they can sell the lower category. However, it seems to happen less on Holland America than on other lines.

I've also seen where they will offer pax an upgrade for a relatively small fee. But this is a risky move. If they offer Mr. Doe an upgrade into an S cabin for $200 per person, and I happen to learn of that generous offer after I paid $1,000 more per person for that accommodation, it makes me just a bit more than irked.

Agree with you jhannah.

One time we were talking with a couple in the Neptune Lounge and we were a wee bit upset to learn that they had gotten their suite for $500 less per person than what we paid. They got it at a last minute deal.

That is why we absolutely never speak of what we paid for our Suite while aboard. I am sure we pay more than others and I don't want to be aggravated while on my vacation. I don't want to know what anyone else paid and it's no one's business what we paid, IMO.

Also, the cynic in me says, how can one REALLY know if the other people really paid what they claim?

Agree with you jhannah.

One time we were talking with a couple in the Neptune Lounge and we were a wee bit upset to learn that they had gotten their suite for $500 less per person than what we paid. They got it at a last minute deal.

I think the price people pay for cruise cabins varies just like the price of airline seats. I expect that you'd find very few people who paid the exact same price as the people in the adjacent cabin or the adjacent airline seat - it could be higher or it could be lower.

Our TA was faxed an offer for us to upgrade to a suite for $200 per person, we didn't do it but it would have been a considerable savings over what the suite was selling for when we booked. I think it all depends on how well the cruise is selling. Since your TA is unavailable you might want to contact HAL directly to see what they offer. I don't know why we were "chosen" for the offer since we had booked just three months before the cruise, maybe it has something to do with who you book with? Upgrade fairy has me puzzled. Good luck and hope you have a great cruise!

Hi Bmast,

If "upsells" means upgrading at a good price at check in the answer is no. (I could be wrong but I think RCL does this) Hal will charge you a very high rate at check in.

If you are looking for a person or department at Hal that handles this pre-cruise, the answer is also no.

If you want to upgrade, you should do it prior to your cruise. Your TA must handle this. Hal will not deal with you. You stated that your TA is not available. Is there someone else at the agency that could give you the prices to upgrade?

Good luck with this and have a nice cruise.:)

(One time we were talking with a couple in the Neptune Lounge and we were a wee bit upset to learn that they had gotten their suite for $500 less per person than what we paid. They got it at a last minute deal.)

Someone picking up a last minute "deal" does not bother me in the least. We book early because it is the cruise we want, at the time we want, and in the cabin we want. We are not prepared to gamble that we will get a "last minute" deal.

If someone does get that deal, good for them, but we'll still enjoy ori cruise. In fact we have been enjoying the cruise since we booked - looking forward to going, planing excursions, counting down days, etc.

Others can always get a better deal on many things in life, - from airplane tickets, to new car prices. If you're going to worry about it, you'll drive yourself crazy IMHO.

Dick

If there are still quite a few cabins remaining on your sailing, you may make an offer to HAL, but I believe it must be done through the agency who booked your travel. HAL reservations will not entertain doing anything (and I'm not saying they should!) with another agency's booking. Well, I shouldn't say "never" - they helped me when the online TA I booked through (many years ago, when internet booking was fairly new) went out of business. I only booked through them because we were using them as our corporate TA and we got some pretty nice perks. No wonder they went under, huh?

Anyway - if there is no one else available at the agency to assist with your booking, HAL reservations may help... I guess it's a worth a try.

There have been occasions where we were offered an upgrade for a certain price - we've let our TA know when we'd entertain one and she lets her HAL contact know.

The one thing is - you may never know if a specific agent or agency is promoting your cruise and there may be a bit of last minute booking activity.

Like I said, it's worth a try if you'd really like to move up in category.

S7S - Like you, I'd rather not even go there! I also agree that one never knows for certain what another cruiser has paid. I used to think we always got great pricing, but have found it to be merely competitive at best. I am ok with that. I like the responsiveness of my TA, and it's hard to put a price on great service. :)

Thank you to everyone for your quick replies. I am contacting my agent's main office to make sure that they will take over the booking. I will probably just stay with the guarantee that I have but I was just curious. I appreciate your knowledgeable information.

I am greatly looking forward to this cruise and my first experience with Holland America. I know I won't be disappointed with either of them.

Thanks again,

Betty

I fall in the "don't ask, don't tell" group when it comes to discussing exactly what we paid. Doesn't mean it doesn't come out sometimes....I know for certain I paid more for an SS than a friend paid for an S on the same ship, same cruise. It happens. I do my research and take my best shot at the fare. I only book if I'm happy and there's no sense in looking back at the "what if's and but's".

Betty - Welcome to HAL. :)

HAL does up selling. I was on a 21 day Panama Canal Cruise with a cat. "C" on the Statendam. HAL called the TA about 2 weeks prior to offer a cat. "B" veranda for an additional $1400 --- 700 PP. Prior to this we had never received even a modest upgrade from HAL --- and thats with over 20 sailings with them. ---- Maybe I have an astrik next to my name??

RedmondCrusier,

I guess technically you may be right. It all depends on what someone means by upsell.

I am aware of Hal calling a TA and offering a better cabin at given $ amount. They have been doing this for a long time.

I think Bmast meant initiating an Upsell herself which is somewhat different.

BMast,

Although you said you were keeping your guarantee, it never hurts to ask.

I do my research and take my best shot at the fare. I only book if I'm happy and there's no sense in looking back at the "what if's and but's".
I agree. When I book a cruise, I am accepting the price offered and sealing the deal. However, if a reduction comes along I want my TA to pursue it. And if I find someone got an S for half of what I paid, it doesn't "ruin" my cruise. It just makes me wonder what I need to do to get such a deal. (Most times it's last-minute ... and I don't buy cruises that way. Just not my style. So I pay my money and take my chances.)

I do find it interesting that at this time there are a large number of open cabins in many different categories. I have booked a Cat C guarantee and with 35 days before sailing I have not been assigned a cabin number. This is the latest I have not been assigned a cabin number on any cruise I have booked with a guarantee. This could be good. I have no problem with Cat C but there are a number of Cat B balcony cabins available and that is what prompted my up-sell question. I have done this on NCL, Radisson and Celebrity and I have done a pier upgrade by working with the pier coordinator with Royal Caribbean. I initiated the up-sell with NCL and Radisson and worked withe my Captains Club rep on Celebrity.

If the opportunity for an up-sell, at a reasonable price, is available I might as well take it. If I want it I can have a higher grade cabin at a reasonable price or I can turn it down and still have the cabin I had and nothing is lost. As the old saying goes: "Nothing ventured, nothing gained." :)

Take care and once again, thanks to everyone for your help.

Betty

Agree with you jhannah.

Sadly, that's the benefit of booking at the last minute. You can get some awefully good deals.

Of course, on the flip side ... they could have been in the worse cabin on the ship ... or been closed out of the cruise entirely ... if it had been a big seller.

Nothing to be that upset about. It's just the luck of the draw. This time, they made out. The next time, they might wind up not being able to get on a sailing that they really wanted to do.

Blue skies ...

--rita

That is why we absolutely never speak of what we paid for our Suite while aboard. I am sure we pay more than others and I don't want to be aggravated while on my vacation. I don't want to know what anyone else paid and it's no one's business what we paid, IMO.

Also, the cynic in me says, how can one REALLY know if the other people really paid what they claim?

Exactly. Personally, I think when you hear people talking about all these "tremendously" great deals they got, I think 90% of the talk is nothing more than a lot of bull.

I think it basically all works out the same in most cases. I talked to some people on my recent cruise who paid more for their fare because they booked directly with HAL. However, they also got some really nice onboard credits ... enough that rendered their shipboard bill at the end of the month minimal. They also got some other "bennies" that I didn't get.

When you take the value of the discounts some people get, and then compare them to the bennies that others who don't get the discounts receive ... I'd be willing to bet the price all comes out within $100 bucks or so ... no matter how you slice and dice it.

The only exception would be possibly if you get in on some group space. Then you might receive both the lower rate, and some special ammenities ... but they still don't add up to that much less than others are paying.

Blue skies ...

--rita

I never discuss with my fellow passengers how much we paid for our cruise so I'll never know whether I paid more or less. Actually, the subject never even comes up in conversation.

I don't sit in my airline seat and discuss how much I paid either. But that's me.

I do know that there can be huge difference in the rates between TA's no matter when you book, doesn't have to be last minute. You have only to compare the HAL website rate with any internet agent.

I was stunned recently when my agent was charging $400 more per person for the exact same cabin than another agent was charging. I talked about it with my TA and he couldn't understand it either, but could not match the lower price.

In the end, if price is your issue shop around and keep an eye on the price right up until you sail. But if you have a good relationship with your TA and you want to keep that, than I would stick with them no matter what the price. It's a very personal choice.

Archived