Booking new cruise after original bookings cancelled.

mumcat

Like many others who have posted we have had 4 cruises with Regent cancelled. The 3 most recent were all on Explorer which is now being re-routed to the Caribbean via the Med. One cruise was to OZ /NZ over Christmas and New year so because we want to be away over that period we found another cruise in the Caribbean but it is wait listed as are all cruises until early 2022. So I called my usual agent at Regent to discuss what this means. He said that this cruise is in fact empty but they are not releasing bookings until June 2. I feel that those of us who have been cancelled should be given priority over the general public. Likewise, I pointed out that when we booked our cruises we had had the protection of Regent Reassurance including onboard credit, lower deposit etc . His response was that Regent did that because of Covid but it seems they no longer think that covid is an issue.  I think they are dreaming about that. Am I the only one who thinks that Regent could do more to recompense their loyal customers by giving them priority and some incentives to rebook?

• Like 1

I'm thinking that virtually "everyone" who is now trying to book any and all future/available Regent cruises for the next 12-18 months at least, are going to overwhelming be longtime (or at least "regular") Regent customers, as opposed to anyone from the "the general public". With "general public" being defined in this thread as folks who has never sailed on Regent before.

The vast majority of those regular (Regent) customers who are eagerly trying to find and book any new cruises to "anywhere", will be those who have had previously-booked cruises cancelled and are also trying to apply past promotional offers, deposited cash, and FCC's to any new bookings.  I would guess that very few if any bookings are being made by "first time" cruisers (i.e., the "general public"). 

FDR and JM know this, as well.  In all of his recent media appearances, FDR has made specific reference to NCLH (and Regent) customers "clamoring to get back on board as soon as possible".  He referred to his customers as having "cash in their pockets and wanting to spend it".  FDR and JM are now in the enviable position of selling a product (cruising) where there is "far more demand than there is supply".

• Like 1

Our March 2022 Voyager sailing was also cancelled. We actually are first time Regent cruisers. The notice from Regent just informed us that the cruise had been cancelled. Our earlier cruise included both a two category upgrade and shipboard credit. Those evidently have been forfeited. We are considering a new March Explorer transatlantic, but it does not appear that the two category upgrade is included. We are going to speak with our travel agent on Tuesday as the sailing opens for booking on Wednesday.

However, wanting to spend or needing to spend are too different ideas.  Honesty I'm getting a little tried of how little Regent is doing for their customers.  Trying finding a cruise you want with the suite you want, it's very hard.  We've finally picked a cruise that wasn't even our 2nd choice (less cruise days, higher cost) and couldn't get the suite we wanted.  I think as you say FDR and JM can say demand is better than supply, but that is because of all the FCC--once that is gone-FDR & JM may be in for a surprise on how loyal their customers really will be to Regent.

• Like 2