R I P Captain

Ocean Cat

Gavin Mc Cleoud “ Captain Stubing” from Love Boat has passed away. He and The Love Boat was the first ones that peaked my interest in cruising. Thanks for some great childhood TV memories. 

Edited by Ocean Cat
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Thanks @coast cruise for posting this info re such a significant memorable character. 

R I P Gavin McCleod but, more so, thanks to Captain Stubing for portraying such a wonderful character that we'd all want to have as our captain, especially now.  

Love Boat was a special series which I watched almost religiously. 

I think I, like others, got my “fix” by watching The Love Boat back in the day. RIP Capt Stubing. (He was also great as Murray Slaughter on The Mary Tyler Moore show-very versatile actor considering the very different personalities between that and Capt Stubing). 

• Like 1

Sad to hear of his passing.

He was a great ambassador for cruising.

When I was younger I was reluctant to cruise because of that show. I thought is was corny. 

A couple decades passed and I was watching re-runs.  When my better half suggested we try cruising for our anniversary I winced.  We still went and now I am hooked. 

In retrospect I think his character, in particular, exuded the joy, the passion, and the belief in dreams becoming reality and happiness abounding, if only for a brief interruption in our daily lives and that was the key for our sanity.

RIP Captain.