Cruise Insurance - Covid

We have been on many Celebrity Cruises.  We always take the Vacation Protection Plan through Celebrity, which we used once when my mom died two days before our cruise.  Our total cruise fare was refunded.  I have never taken any other insurance.  I have medical evacuation insurance through my credit card Company, so I always felt safe.  

I have never had any medical insurance coverage for when we were out of the country.  Maybe not the best idea, but so far, so good.  Now, with the COVID thing, I am worried about being tossed off the ship at some Caribbean Port, and placed in a hospital or hotel until I get better.  So, a silly question.  What type of insurance should I be getting for medical coverage in case something unforeseen happens concerning COVID?  I have been told that it is not wise to purchase the insurance with some on-line outfit.  Any recommendations?  Or am I the only one that seems to travel with protection for the expenses I paid for the trip, but not medical if something happens to my wife or me.  

I am a US citizen living in Illinois.

@lifeisrealygood  @81Zoomie

Howdy y'all! emo22.gif

Actually, we have a whole forum full of information about insurance! emo34.gif

To help you out I have moved your thread to our Cruise/Travel Insurance forum. Please browse through the thread titles on this new forum l👀king for threads of interest. You will probably find  your fellow Cruise Critic members have already posted questions and received answers that will be of interest to you.

I sincerely hope this will be helpful and glad to have y'all aboard Cruise Critic! emo35.gif

Happy sails,

Host Kat emo32.gif

• Like 1

8 hours ago, lifeisrealygood said:

We have been on many Celebrity Cruises.  We always take the Vacation Protection Plan through Celebrity, which we used once when my mom died two days before our cruise.  Our total cruise fare was refunded.  I have never taken any other insurance.  I have medical evacuation insurance through my credit card Company, so I always felt safe.  

I have never had any medical insurance coverage for when we were out of the country.  Maybe not the best idea, but so far, so good.  Now, with the COVID thing, I am worried about being tossed off the ship at some Caribbean Port, and placed in a hospital or hotel until I get better.  So, a silly question.  What type of insurance should I be getting for medical coverage in case something unforeseen happens concerning COVID?  I have been told that it is not wise to purchase the insurance with some on-line outfit.  Any recommendations?  Or am I the only one that seems to travel with protection for the expenses I paid for the trip, but not medical if something happens to my wife or me.  

I am a US citizen living in Illinois.

Your regular insurance would still provide some coverage unless you are on Medicare. Even then, you would have some protection if you have Medicare Advantage or a Medigap supplement. Depending on your policy, you may have deductibles or out-of-network co-pays.

As you recognize, Covid has raised the level of concern about medical emergencies while traveling. I believe that many policies today cover Covid as any other illness.  The question arises about coverage if you are put off the ship to quarantine in a hotel. Quarantine is covered under cancellation, but I do not know if it would pay for the hotel as part of trip interruption.

It really is best to call Steve because he is a professional. He can advise you about a policy that meets your needs and help you if you have to file a claim.