Time needed to get from port to SAN FRAN AIRPORT

abby1257

Good morning, I have an Alaskan cruise booked next May out of San Francisco.  Not sure how much time to leave to get to the airport after docking back in San Fran.  There is a flight at 12:00 noon....would I be ok with this flight, otherwise next flight is 4:45??? Thanks for any input

We also will be going in May and have checked out shuttles, Uber, taxis, etc. They give time estimates from 25 to 40 minutes. A noon flight SHOULD be doable if the ship is not delayed. Just be sure to let the ship's desk know you are booked on an "early" flight to get an early check out time---unless you can take off your own luggage and be in the first group out.

• Like 1

Thanks so much for your reply.  We are all Platinum so I would be hoping we can get off early, just wasn't sure how long the drive to the airport is....Do you know which pier they are using?

32 minutes ago, chocolate melting cake said:

In the past it was pier 39 near Fisherman's Wharf (according to Google). Let's hope we're back to semi-normal cruise conditions by then!

Pier 35 is still being used but the new terminal is 27 

So it could be either one and both will take about same time to get to airport

to Op you should be fine 

but check to see if any events are being held that day.

Bay to breakers run is held in May and ties up the Embarcadero 

Btw Im assuming it will be run next year, this years is a virtual run

Edited by jonbgd

4 hours ago, chocolate melting cake said:

In the past it was pier 39 near Fisherman's Wharf (according to Google). Let's hope we're back to semi-normal cruise conditions by then!

A good example of why some reading and researching is always good. The cruise Terminal was never at Pier 39. It was Pier 35, occasionally 33 and 32, when more than one ship was in port, until the new Terminal at 27 was opened in 2014.

I agree with the earlier comment on a noon flight should be fine if you can get off early on.

When we docked in San Francisco 4 years ago, we had planned to just Uber to the airport.  The difficulty is the traffic is just gridlocked down around the port.  Even though we called a car while waiting for our luggage, it still took them 45 minutes to get to us.  We ended up taking luggage a few blocks down the street just to get out of the madhouse of the port terminal.  I don't know how to get around that problem, other than early disembark, since there's only one street in and out and limited parking at the pier.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My question is:  how difficult is it to get a cab or Uber at the pier?  Last time we sailed out of San Francisco it was a madhouse after the cruise.  Would it be easier to just take Princess’s transfer or try to get a taxi or Uber?  Our flight doesn’t leave until after 4.  TIA.  

2 hours ago, Coloradohawk said:

My question is:  how difficult is it to get a cab or Uber at the pier?  Last time we sailed out of San Francisco it was a madhouse after the cruise.  Would it be easier to just take Princess’s transfer or try to get a taxi or Uber?  Our flight doesn’t leave until after 4.  TIA.  

Like any port, when the ships are in, taxis and Ubers will be around looking for business. Some taxis might use the drop up lane, others may linger out on the Embarcadero...the street that goes by. As someone else mentioned, Uber might be better arranged a couple blocks away.

You have a very late flight. I would be the last person off the ship, and Uber. The madhouse will have diminished.