Independence of the Seas heading to Galveston right now

On 5/31/2021 at 12:40 PM, Thenagers said:

I read another theory. Independence might be subbing for liberty because she is supposed to be dry docked? Good for Galveston, bad for Miami. 

Also bad for those of us booked to sail on the Liberty in July.  I hate to think RC would bring in a different ship, cancel sailings on the Liberty and then folks would have to book on the new ship at higher rates.  I wish they would hurry up and provide information.  Losing faith in our favorite line.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, imola said:

Also bad for those of us booked to sail on the Liberty in July.  I hate to think RC would bring in a different ship, cancel sailings on the Liberty and then folks would have to book on the new ship at higher rates.  I wish they would hurry up and provide information.  Losing faith in our favorite line.  

well liberty and Indy are sister ships with the same cabin numbers right?  I know the 2 bedroom suite in liberty we have booked in October is the same number on Indy.  This would be an easy substitution without disruption.  

1 minute ago, dominicr said:

well liberty and Indy are sister ships with the same cabin numbers right?  I know the 2 bedroom suite in liberty we have booked in October is the same number on Indy.  This would be an easy substitution without disruption.  

If RC just moves us over to the Independence at same level (or better) we are fine with that plan.  However I am concerned that RC will cancel the Liberty and I'd folks want to sail they will need to rebook on the Independence at the prevailing rate. I just want to know their plan.  🤔

30 minutes ago, imola said:

If RC just moves us over to the Independence at same level (or better) we are fine with that plan.  However I am concerned that RC will cancel the Liberty and I'd folks want to sail they will need to rebook on the Independence at the prevailing rate. I just want to know their plan.  🤔

It might be a good business decision for a month or two to do that but long term that would make a lot of people very angry. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dominicr said:

I think you are spot on...... this is good news that a 'sister ship' to Liberty is in Galveston.  This would be an easy substitution for the Liberty which appears to be headed for a dry dock in July.  I would be very disappointed if Indy is not announced shortly as an approved test cruise out of Galveston...things are heating up!!!!!

53 minutes ago, Got Out There said:

I think you are spot on...... this is good news that a 'sister ship' to Liberty is in Galveston.  This would be an easy substitution for the Liberty which appears to be headed for a dry dock in July.  I would be very disappointed if Indy is not announced shortly as an approved test cruise out of Galveston...things are heating up!!!!!

As stated we will be fine if they just move us over to the Independence.   Same sailing date, cabin status (or better), etc.  Don't care about itinerary.  I just want to know.  

Just now, imola said:

As stated we will be fine if they just move us over to the Independence.   Same sailing date, cabin status (or better), etc.  Don't care about itinerary.  I just want to know.  

I'd hope they'd keep the same itinerary... I do have things still reserved from last year's cruise.   🙂

I hope it's a test cruise, as we're booked out of Miami  on July 11th.  Been checking every morning to see if there is any news yet but nothing but silence from RC.  This gives me a lite hope if its a test cruise.

1 minute ago, Bleueyes44 said:

I hope it's a test cruise, as we're booked out of Miami  on July 11th.  Been checking every morning to see if there is any news yet but nothing but silence from RC.  This gives me a lite hope if its a test cruise.

Yeah, I don't know how the test cruises work... If they can be done from a different location, etc...

• Like 1

I live in the Strand in Galveston, and Indy is the first RCI ship to return. Two Carnival ships have returned as well.  Carnival is scheduling its first sailings out of Galveston week of July 4th. UTMB provided vaccines for crews. Ships stay in port several days each week then back out to the Gulf. Carnival ship hung a large banner  saying “ We miss y’all”  from the side of the ship. Picture attached taken from my home. Bad new is note the palm tree damage from the Freeze, good news is the trolleys are running for the first time since Ike

66A0C500-E766-4B43-A773-3361E91AFCC3.jpeg

Edited by MrMan
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, BillOh said:

Not confrontational, but any basis for that? Michael Bayley did mention specifically Pfizer for two ships he posted about, but like many  Americans, they may show up and get what they get.  

I saw this as it related to the Canaveral stops. Perhaps someone mentioned the J&J and I ran with it as that would make sense with just requiring one shot. But I guess I may have been uniformed.

• Like 1

With Explorer and Liberty still off eastern US coast and Liberty going to Cadiz and Independence now in Galveston, it would appear Independence will be first Royal ship to sail  out of Galveston . 

2 minutes ago, ssb said:

With Explorer and Liberty still off eastern US coast and Liberty going to Cadiz and Independence now in Galveston, it would appear Independence will be first Royal ship to sail  out of Galveston . 

They are just sailing ships all over the place now with no known reason, I wouldn't assume anything at this point until we all get another one of those famous updates..................

2 minutes ago, ssb said:

Would love some actual recent confirmation of any this from Royal 🙂  but, I won't hold my breath for too long.

1 minute ago, Jimbo said:

They are just sailing ships all over the place now with no known reason, I wouldn't assume anything at this point until we all get another one of those famous updates..................

Random thought... if Liberty really is going to drydock (and I know it won't necessarily be a long one) but why'd they staff the ship and get them vaccinated now... unless they plan on immediately starting the second she gets back from dry dock.  

Has there been any official cancellation of the July 3 & 11 Indy cruises?  I swear I saw someone say there hadn't even though they're not on Royal's website anymore (not that that means ANYTHING)

2 minutes ago, slvrbllt said:

Random thought... if Liberty really is going to drydock (and I know it won't necessarily be a long one) but why'd they staff the ship and get them vaccinated now... unless they plan on immediately starting the second she gets back from dry dock.  

Has there been any official cancellation of the July 3 & 11 Indy cruises?  I swear I saw someone say there hadn't even though they're not on Royal's website anymore (not that that means ANYTHING)

Just because they vaccine crew on one ship, doesn't mean that vacinated crew member stays on that ship.

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 1

Just now, Jimbo said:

Just because they vaccine crew on one ship, doesn't mean that vacinated crew member stays on that ship.

Yeah, I thought about that...I guess training isn't necessarily ship specific.  Just seemed odd (and I wanted my ship to get to Galveston so I was all excited for Liberty's staff getting vaccinated a while ago.)

So far, the public is aware of two of the four ships approved for test cruises: Freedom of the Seas and the Disney Dream.

The CDC has not listed what the other ships are, nor which other ships have applied for permission.  Thus far, the public is only made aware of specific approvals when a cruise line executive announces or leaks the information.

In terms of port agreements, Galveston, Port Canaveral, Port Everglades and PortMiami are all known to have signed agreements with various cruise lines to support test cruises.

The Port of Galveston announced on Tuesday that Royal Caribbean was "near completion on May 26" of its port agreement.

17 hours ago, imola said:

I'm booked on Indy in August and it's okay with me if it's moved to Symphony. I just hope it's not canceled.