Tips for first time Oceania cruise?

DrSHF

40 minutes ago, drkitkat123 said:

I said I do not know why it bugs me 😀

Why do you think that O will make more money out of collecting corkage fees on excess bottles brought on board versus selling more bottles of wine at huge mark-ups?

Don’t get overwhelmed with this. It’s primarily a marketing device, much like “ country club casual dress” to differentiate it from other lines. In practice, only a small percentage of Oceania cruisers bring either wine or spirits aboard. 

We enjoy buying and trying a variety of local wines when available. On many of our Oceania cruises, they aren’t available. Ever tried Vietnamese wines? Ever spent a fortune on taxes to buy wines in Norway? Stupid.

So yes, we buy bottles aboard that suit our interest and pairs with our meals. “ Bin Ends” are nice finds, but if you’re a newbie don’t expect the ship, which has been beached and maybe dry docked, for 18 months to have any “ bin ends” when sailing resumes. This will probably be the case for months. You’ll have the wine list.

Enjoy the wine and spirits you bring ashore and remember, it’s all in the posted price. There are no free lunches or free booze, even at the multiple O events where it’s poured freely. 🥂

• Like 1

Vineyard View,

Welcome to the Oceania posts, you will find all the information you will need to be an Oceania veteran in these posts long before you embark on your first voyage. There are a number of First Timers topics so just roll through and keep on reading.   You will see posts answering any and all Oceania Cruises questions. There are people posting on here with 10,20,30,40 or more Oceania cruises so any question will have an answer within hours. 
I see you are in Sonoma County, we are in the Sacramento area but we spend a lot of time over at Bodega Bay. We are scheduled for Riviera’s Post Covid Inaugural cruise from Istanbul October 18 and  Sonoma locals, Raptor Bill and Mary from Bennet Valley are scheduled to join the ship as we make port calls in Venice, Monte Carlo and Rome before we return to Miami. On November 7 we will be joined by even more Sonomaites celebrating their 20th Anniversary.

Again, welcome to the CC post. Ask away.

Bonnie and Gerry 

11 minutes ago, mauibabes said:

Vineyard View,

Welcome to the Oceania posts, you will find all the information you will need to be an Oceania veteran in these posts long before you embark on your first voyage. There are a number of First Timers topics so just roll through and keep on reading.   You will see posts answering any and all Oceania Cruises questions. There are people posting on here with 10,20,30,40 or more Oceania cruises so any question will have an answer within hours. 
I see you are in Sonoma County, we are in the Sacramento area but we spend a lot of time over at Bodega Bay. We are scheduled for Riviera’s Post Covid Inaugural cruise from Istanbul October 18 and  Sonoma locals, Raptor Bill and Mary from Bennet Valley are scheduled to join the ship as we make port calls in Venice, Monte Carlo and Rome before we return to Miami. On November 7 we will be joined by even more Sonomaites celebrating their 20th Anniversary.

Again, welcome to the CC post. Ask away.

Bonnie and Gerry 

Thank you Bonnie and Gerry!  
We used to travel Spring and Fall, however one too many wildfire evacuations (Glass Fire hit our property this past Fall) keeps us home in October, which is otherwise such a great time to travel. 
We have in recent past been sailing Viking, however between their prepayment policy and just too many same ports in their itineraries, Oceania has caught our attention. There are a couple Spring ‘22 offerings we are seriously looking at that travel to ports we have visited or stayed, but also new ones that look really interesting. CC is always m go to for I formation regardless of cruise lines. So many helpful and knowledgeable people such as yourself, so thanks again. I appreciate your post! 

59 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

I’ve posted several times that the OCC is now mostly a dinosaur. It’s still there, and Oceania is talking about reviving it, but don’t get overwhelmed with discussions of old. 

What NCLH now advertises is its Preferred Partner list. Those names are easily findable. Within those partners ask to be directed to an Agent that specializes with Oceania.

Thanks Pinotlover. I appreciate your feedback. I will reach out to the agency we have had good experiences with in the past. 

1 hour ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

I think you mean O’s Connoisseurs Club TAs (or better still, O’s “preferred partners”).

Knowing how to make the most out of O’s booking idiosyncrasies and attitude toward exceptions is as much an art as it is a science.

Thanks Flatbushflyer. You are correct. That is what I meant. I sincerely appreciate everyone’s responses. 

My best tip for a first Oceania cruise is to relax, enjoy the experience, try the hot buns at breakfast and prepare to never want to cruise with another line again. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, ToxM said:

My best tip for a first Oceania cruise is to relax, enjoy the experience, try the hot buns at breakfast and prepare to never want to cruise with another line again. 

Speaking of breakfast favorites on O, try the poached eggs on avocado toast in the MDR.😋

I have been enjoying (and, obviously, participating in) this trip down several rabbit holes – but it has been reported (quite correctly) that we are wildly off-topic.  So there has been a major clean up.  Let's stick to giving Tips for first time Oceania cruisers.

• Like 5