White Pass & Yukon railroad

Locobill49

You might want to check their website.  In the past some of their excursions just went up to the summit between Alaska and Canada.  This was an option for folks who either didn't have a passport or those who had law infractions.  Canada has strict problems with folks with DIUs in the past.  They don't view it as a "youthful indiscretion," nor should they.

• Like 3

LINK to WPYRR:

Book Alaska Shore Excursions with White Pass & Yukon Route Railway (wpyr.com)

Check out directly with them as to what is operating and the requirements.

Don't think that the WPYRR will be operating trains into Canada this year 2021 -

MAYBE the Summit train which at the border returns to Skagway (no one sets foot

onto Canadian soil - no harm no foul). The Summit train makes a loop (on the

Canada side of the border) and returns to Skagway --- used to park on a siding and

the locomotives would move to the other end of the train --- inside the cars - the

seats where flipped over so everyone was now facing forward for the return.

Northern Aurora - - - 

Canada has strict problems with folks with DIUs in the past.  They don't view it as a "youthful indiscretion," nor should they.

xxxxx

This may require some investigation about persons with a record*** crossing into Canada -

and this does not mean just driving - visiting alone may present problems.

*** DWI DUI DIU misdemeanors and felony - the DUI DWI usually most recent with 5 years.

Check it out before hand to avoid unpleasant unexpected denial of border crossings. 

• 2 weeks later...

"This may require some investigation about persons with a record*** crossing into Canada -

and this does not mean just driving - visiting alone may present problems.

*** DWI DUI DIU misdemeanors and felony - the DUI DWI usually most recent with 5 years.

Check it out before hand to avoid unpleasant unexpected denial of border crossings." 

In the past, a person w/DUI and/or other legal issues could NOT BOARD the cruise ship!  [Search the topic here on CC]  The cruise lines would not accept passengers who wouldn't be able to clear Canadian customs.  The entire ship has to cleared.

This may not be an issue in 2021 since the ships aren't stopping in Canada & the excursions in Skagway won't be crossing the Canadian border.  HOWEVER, if anyone in your party has any legal history, including DUI, check w/the cruise line and research it on-line.  No one want to get to embarkation & be turned away!

20 hours ago, DRS/NC said:

In the past, a person w/DUI and/or other legal issues could NOT BOARD the cruise ship!

It was several years ago that I first encountered this Canadian paranoia with these types of convictions. Having traveled on an Amtrak train from New York to St. Albans, Vermont, Amtrak had chartered a bus from Vermont Transit Lines to transport its passengers the rest of the way into Montréal. As the immigration officer was inspecting me in a manner not at all unusual, he then discreetly showed me a small piece of paper with the letters "DUI" handwritten neatly on it, and asked if I had ever done "this." Initially I had no idea what he meant, and the letters meant nothing to me. I have never held a license to operate a motor vehicle, nor do I consume alcohol, and so the issue of driving a motor vehicle, let alone doing so while intoxicated, has never arisen for me and not anything ever on my mind. (Sidebar: True, in many state statutes one may convicted without operating, or being licensed to operate, a motor vehicle, so me not ever operating, nor possessing a license to operate, a motor vehicle is not a bar to me being convicted of such offense. There have been several reports of people riding horses being convicted of "driving" under the influence. Yet all those non-motoring cases have arisen because of the dangers imposed by, or otherwise involving, motor vehicles.) So the questioning by the immigration officer took me by surprise, with neither Amtrak nor Vermont Transit Lines having warned their passengers of such questioning by Canadian immigration officials. I have since become aware of this paranoia by Canada. And I suppose it is good for cruise vessel operators to inquire such of passengers embarking for an itinerary that includes a Canadian port. But as with the many cases of air carriers wrongly enforcing immigration laws of other countries, I suspect that cruise vessel operators will also make similar mistakes. Thus, I am generally wary of carriers carrying out such investigations on their own.

N.B. I certainly don't condone drunk driving (indeed, too many judges are willing to allow drunk drivers to continue driving, on the ground that it is "necessary" for them to drive to work, ignoring the option of public transportation or taxi use and of the dangers posed to society), but that's not always synonymous with being convicted of driving under the influence. There are many more crimes for which Canada should a greater interest in excluding those convicted thereof.