Christine Duffy on GMA Today - Vaccine Question

1 hour ago, txgranny said:

Wow, my cruise is Vista Aug 28th and although myself and daughter are vaccinated my 4 yr old granddaughter is not able. This is heartbreaking as I'll have to cancel, lose $650 OBC. Ugh

She said they are working on that.  Sounds like they are trying to make a way for the kids that can’t be vaccinated.  I would wait before canceling.

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, stellarose said:

just want a lounger on the MG and sipping my drinks from the red frog bar. 

Me too!  It will be a great feeling to be back on a ship again, especially a brand new one!  My husband and I were always going to sail either way, as long as the cruise wasn't cancelled.  

2 minutes ago, rs45thompson said:

She said they are working on that.  Sounds like they are trying to make a way for the kids that can’t be vaccinated.  I would wait before canceling.

I'm not canceling yet, they extended final payments till June 14 (mine is already paid in full) so I'm sure we will hear protocols announced nx week.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, cruisemom2 said:

Listen carefully around a minute into this video when she was questioned about whether vaccines will be required.

https://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Travel/video/carnival-cruise-line-president-talks-restarting-cruise-industry-78081592

YAYYYY!  So she says they are looking forward to being able to cruise with everyone, but "RIGHT NOW IT DOES LOOK LIKE PEOPLE WILL HAVE TO BE VACCINATED"... because the CDC protocols are not workable if they allow unvaccinated on the ship (Mardi Gras is really what the interview is about but the answer seemed broader).

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

Yes, this is bad news for families and I feel bad that they will have to make other plans so close to their cruises.  As far as my cruise, it appears that it will be sailing with a lot less passengers now.  Maybe they will open up the cruise and offer specials to get more vaccinated people to replace the unvaccinated.

I am confident things will change and evolve down the road.  I know I will hate to tell my kids that we won't be cruising again this year.  They will be heartbroken.  They are more excited about the cruise than Disney.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, BrotherCraig said:

And no kids.  Going to make a lot of folks happy.  

Also, will break a lot of hearts as well.

"no kids" should not make anyone happy (maybe a grinch)...  so we have to visit a few extra floors on the elevator from time to time because they push all the buttons... isn't that worth watching the Seuss Parade?  For me it is!

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, BrotherCraig said:

I am confident things will change and evolve down the road.  I know I will hate to tell my kids that we won't be cruising again this year.  They will be heartbroken.  They are more excited about the cruise than Disney.

I agree.  Once cruising begins and people see that positive cases won't shut down the industry, and also covid cases continue to decline, cruising will get back to normal.  I think fall cruises look realistic for families.

Edited by TNcruising02
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, BrotherCraig said:

Speaking of Disney

https://www.reuters.com/business/disney-chairman-iger-sells-shares-worth-nearly-100-million-2021-06-04/

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

Once cruising begins and people see that positive cases won't shut down the industry, and also covid cases continue to decline, cruising will get back to normal.  I think fall cruises look realistic for families.

Agreed on the covid effect.  I just hope families with kids can cruise during the summer while school is out.  I still think Carnival will do test cruises and allow unvaccinated on some ships, maybe including the July sailings.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, IntrepidFromDC said:

Agreed on the covid effect.  I just hope families with kids can cruise during the summer while school is out.  I still think Carnival will do test cruises and allow unvaccinated on some ships, maybe including the July sailings.

I agree. And honestly, I think it’s unrealistic that with 7k on board the Mardi Gras someone isn’t going to contract covid along the way at some point. Weather on a plane on the way there or back or from A taxi ride etc. the difference between that an 15 months ago is that it wasn’t near as wide spread as it is now. Back then they were trying to prevent it from reaching world wide, which we all knew would happen at some point. Now, I don’t really see the big deal if there’s a case or two. It’s going to happen, it’s completely unavoidable. But now with a majority vaccinated population it shouldn’t turn into a giant outbreak. Look at Noro for instance. Even without a vaccine, when there’s an outbreak it’s not like everyone gets it. 

• Like 5

31 minutes ago, kelkel2 said:

I’m with you too. I have 3 year old twins and we have a cruise booked on MG. It was supposed to be for 1/2022 but we moved it back to 1/2023 because I saw this coming. Hopefully my kids will have a vaccine by that time. But I’m not counting on it.  This is supposed to be their first big family vacation, I’m not leaving them at home. 

By 2023 the requirements may not even be in place so i wouldnt sweat it too much at this point 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, kdr69 said:

By 2023 the requirements may not even be in place so i wouldnt sweat it too much at this point 

Oh no, we’re not at all. That’s why we moved it back. I knew it would be too tight to get my kids vaccinated because of their age for 2022. And I didn’t want to invest in the vacation airfare and a hotel and not be able to go. 

• Like 3

Well, that was an interesting interview with Ms Duffy.

She stated things about as clearly as she can, knowing no official agreements have been announced.

So now we have to just wait that out (and the results of the CDC-Desantis Lawsuit Cage Match in the Thunderdome!)

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

Well, that was an interesting interview with Ms Duffy.

She stated things about as clearly as she can, knowing no official agreements have been announced.

So now we have to just wait that out (and the results of the CDC-Desantis Lawsuit Cage Match in the Thunderdome!)

I think she did make it clear Carnival is on the side of the CDC in the lawsuit and maybe the judge will hurry up with a decision. Then to get an injunction to hold off enforcing the vaccine passport law until it can be overturned or at least an exemption made for cruising.

Her statement was pretty clear even with the fluid situation. She clearly stated that vaccines will be a requirement, at least for the near term. Vaccines are going to be required and the interviewer even asked about kids under 12. Her comments on that statement made it sound like they understand and are prepared for not allowing initially.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, IntrepidFromDC said:

"no kids" should not make anyone happy (maybe a grinch)...  so we have to visit a few extra floors on the elevator from time to time because they push all the buttons... isn't that worth watching the Seuss Parade?  For me it is!

I agree.  Kids are the real light and happiness of this world.  Will be odd seeing Carnival Cruise ships without kids.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, kelkel2 said:

I agree. And honestly, I think it’s unrealistic that with 7k on board the Mardi Gras someone isn’t going to contract covid along the way at some point. Weather on a plane on the way there or back or from A taxi ride etc. the difference between that an 15 months ago is that it wasn’t near as wide spread as it is now. Back then they were trying to prevent it from reaching world wide, which we all knew would happen at some point. Now, I don’t really see the big deal if there’s a case or two. It’s going to happen, it’s completely unavoidable. But now with a majority vaccinated population it shouldn’t turn into a giant outbreak. Look at Noro for instance. Even without a vaccine, when there’s an outbreak it’s not like everyone gets it. 

Lets hope that new pill works -- will make things go more in a positive direction as well.

1 minute ago, BrotherCraig said:

I agree.  Kids are the real light and happiness of this world.  Will be odd seeing Carnival Cruise ships without kids.

Personally I'm looking forward to a reduced capacity cruise with reduced lines. Kids or no kids, that will be odd and welcomed.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, txgranny said:

Curious as to what the % is for kids under 12. Trying to do the math in hopes my 4yr old MAY be allowed to go w negative covid test as part of the 5%. Guess I'm grasping at straws.

It was very clear, no unvaccinated passengers. She stated families will have to wait longer to cruise (paraphrased). One of the companies are seeking true FDA approval for all age groups. I expect in the next 6-8 weeks, the vaccine will be for everyone. 

As for having to cancel, I don't expect the cruise lines to be as generous as before with extra FCC or OBC. They will probably only allow cancelations with refund. If you had OBC from before, it will be lost.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

Personally I'm looking forward to a reduced capacity cruise with reduced lines. Kids or no kids, that will be odd and welcomed.

Same here.  I would like the reduced capacity.  Especially on the brand new ship.  I just won't go without my kids.   The cruise would suck without them and I wouldn't do that to them.  They have been cruising since they were babies.  It's only vacation they look forward to.  We also have $1350 OBC and I would hate to lose out on that.

If small kids get approved for the vaccine, I won't be letting my kids get it anyways.  12 and up - I understand and would.

Edited by BrotherCraig
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, BoozinCroozin said:

It was very clear, no unvaccinated passengers. She stated families will have to wait longer to cruise (paraphrased). One of the companies are seeking true FDA approval for all age groups. I expect in the next 6-8 weeks, the vaccine will be for everyone. 

As for having to cancel, I don't expect the cruise lines to be as generous as before with extra FCC or OBC. They will probably only allow cancelations with refund. If you had OBC from before, it will be lost.

And that would suck.  Especially having our Freedom cruise March 2020 cancelled and having to move the March 2021 Mardi Gras Cruise to November 2021.  We have $1350 OBC and look forward to using it.  I hope we get that chance.   Not our fault that we would be forced to cancel.  Shouldn't lose it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BrotherCraig said:

And that would suck.  Especially having our Freedom cruise March 2020 cancelled and having to move the March 2021 Mardi Gras Cruise to November 2021.  We have $1350 OBC and look forward to using it.  I hope we get that chance.   Not our fault that we would be forced to cancel.  Shouldn't lose it.

I agree.  It seems like Carnival would offer an OBC for families who have to rebook due to their children not being vaccinated.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BrotherCraig said:

I can understand and sympathize. I can also agree to the argument if there is no vaccine available. However, I expect vaccines to be available soon since one of them just applied for full FDA approval for all ages. If that is the case, it comes down to a choice. That choice is not something the cruise lines should have to think about nor cover. 

I understand it will be an individual choice. In the end, the free OBC is no loss to you. It is the loss of a free perk that was applied to a cruise. In the circumstance you are stating, and I do understand it, it is no longer the CDC or cruise line canceling an entire sailing. It is individuals making the decision on their trip. It will be interesting to see what the cruise lines do in cases like yours. If they are small enough in number, I could see them making exceptions on individual basis.

• Like 1