Alaska cruise in early May - Good idea?

Geoffa30

Have done 3 AK cruises, one of them included a Land Tour as well, (2 in May, inside & land tour, and 1 outside in June). May ones were great (as was June's) with temps generally moderated in the upper 30s F at night to 40s and 50s F daytime. Snow around Anchorage and Fairbanks, as well as glacier areas, but none along the southeastern part of the state, where all the major cruise stops are. I'd do it again in May-June. Don't know about the end of season months, like late Aug and all of Sept.

Never even been on a cruise, but I do dabble in meteorology and I did live in AK for a bit.  If your choice is May and September, then to me it's a no brainer - May.  September has so much more rain and low clouds than May so it's likely that all that scenery that you paid to see will be obstructed.

• Like 2

We have taken six Alaska cruises--two were early May, one was early August, one was early September and two were mid/late September.  Our worst cruise was wonderful.

That itinerary looks outstanding to me.  Don't overthink it.  Pull the trigger and have a great time.  I am pretty envious.

• Like 1