Alaska cruise in early May - Good idea?

Geoffa30

Hi All.

We have never sailed to Alaska but are thinking of booking an Alaskan cruise in the next couple of years. We’re flying in from the U.K. so ideally would prefer a cruise of longer than seven days. I’ve spotted the one below in May 22 on the Sapphire Princess. Hoping any Alaska cruise connoisseurs might be able to comment on whether cruising in Alaska right at the beginning of May is a good idea. Also, what do people think of this itinerary? It’s also offered in mid-September 22 but on the Grand Princess. I understand that May and September are the shoulder months so less busy and cheaper but are they best avoided for weather etc.? All opinions welcome. Thank you.

Geoff.

9B2CE037-EB55-4ADB-89A0-0E3897945A6D.png

D7D216B7-ECD2-48AA-8B8A-028A2781C078.png

In my view, early May is too early.  I would lean towards the late summer cruise in September when the weather is more likely to be welcoming.  I understand that’s all a matter of opinion and it’s easy enough to put on sweaters and jackets.  I suppose if you’re interested in views of mountains still covered in snow and that sort of thing... go early.  Coming from Ottawa, seeing a lot of snow and ice in early May is not something that particularly excites me.

I've been to Alaska twice, once the 1st week of May, and once the 2nd. The first cruise the weather was warm enough not to wear ajacket, the second one was cold and rainy. You can't figure Alasa weather. It changes rapidly.

• Like 1

I agree with previous poster, no way to judge.   I took a positioning cruise from California to Alaska, late April, early May, weather was awesome, luck of the draw.  We were 1st ship of the season, no other ships, it was great.  I bought short sleeved tees as I wasn't prepared for warmer than normal. 

I haven't been to Alaska in awhile, but I would do first cruises or last, never what is considered ideal time to cruise.   

Our first cruise to Alaska left about May 15.  Weather was warm and perfect.  No bugs.  We have been twice in Sept. and had some rain and cold weather.  However, we saw more wildlife in Sept including bears.  All three trips were great.  Your itinerary looks very nice to me.  You will love the trip

1 hour ago, d9704011 said:

In my view, early May is too early.  I would lean towards the late summer cruise in September when the weather is more likely to be welcoming.  I understand that’s all a matter of opinion and it’s easy enough to put on sweaters and jackets.  I suppose if you’re interested in views of mountains still covered in snow and that sort of thing... go early.  Coming from Ottawa, seeing a lot of snow and ice in early May is not something that particularly excites me.

September has (historically) the most rain and potential bad storms of any of the cruising months to Alaska.

I have gone Mid-May many times and they have all been wonderful. I have never gone early May but would be willing to do so. I would pick early May over mid-September in a heart beat.

As far as cruising months, May has the least amount of rain and every month after has more potential for rain (historically).

Edited by Coral

Have gone to Alaska  twice in early May and loved it . My college  roommate's daughter  was a Park Ranger  in Denali  and recommend  going  then. There was snow cover in some areas, spectacular  waterfalls  due to melting snow, foliage  was just blooming and crowds of tourists  minimal . IMO a great time to go.

• Like 1

We did the first Alaska cruise of the season, early May, in 2015 and it was wonderful.  There was still ice and snow in many areas and it was breathtaking to see!  The weather was mild, but a couple of days were quite warm.....no jacket required.  We did an August sailing the following year and it was a bit disappointing.  Scenery was not as spectacular and lots of mosquitoes!  However, most people prefer the later sailings, so something for everyone.

• Like 1

This isn't exactly your question, but this itinerary is nice because it includes Sitka, which the rest of Princess' itineraries don't include.  I've been to Alaska the last weekend in May and the weather was perfect with few crowds.  

May is a great time for Alaska cruises.  Days are longer (for example, sunset in Juneau is around 9 pm in early May vs. 8 pm in late August).  There is more snow in the mountains in May, so the scenery is even more spectacular.  There are fewer bugs in May than there are later in the summer.

May is a bit cooler than later in the summer, but the difference is not huge.  On the other hand, there tends to be much less rain in May.   Rather than relying on anecdotal reports on the weather, if you look at the long-term averages based on National Weather Service data, you will see that in places like Juneau, Skagway, and Glacier Bay, there is half as much rain in May compared with August. 

• Like 1

I worked on cruise ships many years ago, and did two full seasons in Alaska. I would pick May over September. Alaska’s weather is unpredictable but generally May is drier than September. Plus you will see more snow and ice whereas September is greener. We’ve cruised in May and didn’t even need jackets when we were at Columbia Glacier. 

Amazing itinerary, by the way. You’ve got me thinking now, lol. 

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for the responses so far. Certainly looks like May could be a good time to visit. We’re more swayed towards May because we’re familiar with Sapphire Princess.

Princess has started releasing 2023 itineraries recently. Any opinions on when Alaska 2023 might be released?

Okay...  I haven't read the other opinion and responses.

But, we cruised in late May, so here are my thoughts.

FIRST:  I just did some quick searches, and I don't think it is pulling up all of the sailings right?

I had looked at the Majestic sailings, and this time I didn't see them showing up.

So, make sure you search different ways to see all sailings.

When I put in just the month of May only... that seemed to be working.

When I selected several consecutive summer months, I don't think it was working.

May CAN be dryer, based on the weather averages.

But, on the coast, on a cruise ship, it can be rainy and cloudy and cool almost every day.

The coastline is a Maritime Rainforest climate.

The very beginning of May might be early, and I wonder about excursions...

Back when we cruised, a lot of things didn't begin until mid to late May???

So, you might want to double check.

We really enjoyed the pre-cruise smaller boat tour of Prince William Sound before boarding!

Once you go inland, like on excursions, that can be different.

The only sun we saw on our late May 7-day cruise was when we drove inland over the mountains to Canada to Carcross and Emerald Lake.  (it really was emerald)

Secondly, if this matters to you...  I would consider two consecutive 7 days, or the addition of the Land Tour, on a newer ship.  You would get most of the same ports.  On the NorthBound and Southbound Voyage of the Glaciers. (on Majestic?  with its nice covered solarium are which would be welcomed in Alaska in May!) ) you would get both Hubbard Glacier and Glacier Bay, two stops at some other ports....  At Juneau for example, you could go Whale Watching on one port day, and do something different on the second port day.

Look at each ship.

I was excited to see the Majestic move to Alaska. (if it remains there????) As it has the really nice covered Solarium.  Not sure if Sapphire has that or not?

Hope this helps!

We have done 8 Alaskan cruises and ALL were in May, never had any issues, horrid weather can hit Alaska ANY month of the year but the BEST thing about May is the snow melt is in full force so waterfalls and rivers run high and fast, the mosquito's are not out yet AND its less expensive to cruise in May, especially the 1st 1 or 2 cruises

Edited by SheriffJoe
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Wishing on a star said:

Look at each ship.

I was excited to see the Majestic move to Alaska. (if it remains there????) As it has the really nice covered Solarium.  Not sure if Sapphire has that or not?

Hope this helps!

The Sapphire has the solarium. It is a great ship.

I have been to Alaska more than a dozen times in May and have received sunburns.  There can be sun in May in the ports and at the glaciers.

If there are cruise ships coming, there will be excursions.

Edited by Coral

You can also departure from San Francisco. Same basic stops but due to distance it is 10 days  (more sea days).  Check airfare.   Also, I consider May better because of few children as school is still in session.

Finally, Glacier Bay National Park is truly IMHO the main event. If you change cruise try to keep it on the itinerary. 

We are booked on the May 10 and May 20 cruises in the Ruby. 

• Like 1

We've cruised up to Alaska a dozen times (yes, it's our favorite itinerary).  So far, we've gone once in early May, once in mid-May, once in mid to late August, once in mid to late Sept and the rest in the first week of Sept.  

Our worst weather sailings (we still had a blast) were the ones in mid-May and the one in mid to late September.  

Our best weather ones have been in late August and early September.  The early May one we went on was actually surprisingly nice.  But one thing to keep in mind is that the very early season sailings are oftentimes precluded from getting up close to the glaciers due to ice in the water.  

Early Sept is my favorite time to go and we've always had great luck in terms of weather and if you are a shopper, there are so many deals to be had.  Don't forget to take your sunscreen and layers with one waterproof layer in the event of rain. 

13 minutes ago, tcdcruiser said:

You can also departure from San Francisco. Same basic stops but due to distance it is 10 days  (more sea days).  Check airfare.   Also, I consider May better because of few children as school is still in session.

Finally, Glacier Bay National Park is truly IMHO the main event. If you change cruise try to keep it on the itinerary. 

We are booked on the May 10 and May 20 cruises in the Ruby. 

They will see far more Alaska with their itinerary. Less sea days but Alaska. If they are coming from UK - they probably want to see Alaska.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Geoffa30 said:

. I understand that May and September are the shoulder months so less busy and cheaper

This. Go in September and you can see salmon run which is a bonus.

We love to cruise to Alaska in May for all of the reasons people have mentioned (weather, price, crowds, etc).  You will miss some things (such as salmon runs) but IMO it is worth it.

I think this itinerary is great!  We cruise (except for 2020...) two or three times a year to Alaska and I would pick this trip!  In fact, I sent it to my hubby to consider.

Your visits to these ports are long enough to do some truly wonderful excursions depending on your interests.  A great mixture of ports and glacier visits!  You get to visit ports that are usually not included in a 7-day cruise—Sitka, Prince Rupert.  I think this cruise will give you a great taste of southeastern Alaska.

An Alaska cruise is not about the ship but the ports!  Enjoy your planning!

Agree with the May, yea sayers!  There is the possibility the ship may be unable to get up as close to the glaciers as the ice burgs that have already formed are not melting as fast, but it will still be wonderful. seals will be having babies on the ice flows that float by as well.  SOOOOOO glad you are doing the Vancouver departure. The trip on the east side of Vanvouver island is so much nicer than leaving from the USA and going up the west side of the island where you don’t even see the shore. 
you are in for a wonderful treat of a trip. 

• Like 1

We have cruised Alaska 5 times, all in May or last week of August (we try to avoid the kids) While I have heard May can be variable we have always had good weather, even hot in Skagway once.  Ketchikan may be rainy (twice for us).  Bring layers, it is obviously cold viewing the glaciers.  Late August was wonderful for grizzly sitings on sunset tours.

Also glad you are doing the inside passage out of Vancouver, our favourite part of the cruise...we even forgo the dinner so we can enjoy the sailaway and most of the incredible scenery along the inside passage. Exceptional!

We will be back when this hideous disease is done.

Enjoy youselves.

I have traveled to Alaska in May, middle of summer, and late September.  Your itinerary is outstanding.  Especially if you are flying from the UK to Vancouver roundtrip.  I would spend a few days in Vancouver before getting on the Sapphire.  Good choice of ship.  

The only down side is that some of your Glacier days may be hampered by too much ice.  You may not be able to get too close to the glacier.  

The weather is lovely in May.  

43 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

The only down side is that some of your Glacier days may be hampered by too much ice.  You may not be able to get too close to the glacier.  

The weather is lovely in May.  

Glacier Bay usually doesn't have ice problems. Hubbard glacier and Tracy Arm can. Though I missed Hubbard in July - so one never knows. Going later doesn't guarantee glacier access.

Edited by Coral