Shipping luggage

Acrusa

ATW16 it was Luggage Free; ATW20 it was Luggage Forward.  Both were excellent.  I feel sure O uses the company that can give them the best deal!

we won't know which company O will use for ATW22 until probably sometime in November -December

Edited by cbb

I worked on this earlier this week for our group on the 26 day Riviera departing November 7. This is what I sent to them. Luggage Forward is the current Oceania shipping confirmed by Oceania and Luggage Forward. 

There appear to be two main luggage delivery companies that deliver internationally to ships.  A couple I looked at were smaller companies that were bought by one of  the main two.  Really three choices.  Luggage Forward through the company,  Luggage Forward through Oceana or Luggage Free. Luggage Forward is up to 75 pounds and Luggage Free is up to 65 pounds.  The prices seem to be a little higher because Monte Carlo isn't a main port.  We do not all have to ship with the same company. 

Luggage Forward   
No discount for multiple bags  No benefit to gathering up the bags to travel together. 
If we ship to a hotel, it is $60 per bag less.  I checked on this price although I know we are planning on shipping directly to the ship.  

Southwest Florida  to Monte Carlo and delivered to ship.
Weight up to 50 lbs $364
Weight up to 75 lbs $495

Shipping through Oceania is through Luggage Forward and prices are exactly the same 

Luggage Free  
 No discount for multiple bags.
Shipping to the hotel is $40 less for each weight. 

Southwest Florida  shipped directly to the ship. 
Weight up to 50 lbs is $305
Weight up to 65 lbs is $390

in 2018 we wanted to do a week in Berlin & Munich and then fly to Dublin and board Nautica for 2+ months. 

We shipped our bags using Luggageforward from the US to Dublin to the ship and it was waiting for us in our cabin. We took the bags back home with us. 

FWIW:  Brazil will not permit luggage services in their country (or at least this was true in 2020)

Covid-cancelled ATW20 we were faced with handling all our luggage in Rio airport and in US airport.  For less agile passengers it was awful.  (Bless O--they really tried to get Brazil to waive the rule but they refused)

I agree with JanCruz  "best thing we ever did was start shipping our luggage"....

Edited by cbb

Shipping my luggage sounds like a great idea for a cruise next year boarding in Venice.  It would be great to ship one piece of luggage directly to the ship and use only a carry-on for my pre-cruise travels.  I have one big concern, though.  What if the luggage doesn't make it to the ship in Venice?  Have any of you had experience with shipping to Venice?  Or with lost luggage?  If the suitcase does not make it to the ship, the refund plus $500 offered by Luggage Forward won't be of any help.  How far in advance do you ship your luggage?  Thank you for any further insight and suggestions as to forwarding luggage.

1 hour ago, Twiga said:

Shipping my luggage sounds like a great idea for a cruise next year boarding in Venice.  It would be great to ship one piece of luggage directly to the ship and use only a carry-on for my pre-cruise travels.  I have one big concern, though.  What if the luggage doesn't make it to the ship in Venice?  Have any of you had experience with shipping to Venice?  Or with lost luggage?  If the suitcase does not make it to the ship, the refund plus $500 offered by Luggage Forward won't be of any help.  How far in advance do you ship your luggage?  Thank you for any further insight and suggestions as to forwarding luggage.

Well, with Venice you will probably have a port the next day and/or the next and more after that.  Assuming it would catch up with you.
If I had anxiety, I’d probably book through Oceania.  It would give you just that little edge more to get it there and onto the ship. The company does not want to have to give you your shipping plus $500 back, probably  $900. They will  make every attempt to get that luggage there on time.  And even worse - if one suitcase doesn’t get there on time it will be all over Cruise Critic and  the travel blogs and will impact their business.  Just not worth it to them.  
Both companies said the luggage would be scheduled to be picked up 2 weeks before the ship left.  We sent a bag home from Auckland with Luggage Free and it only took 4 days. 
If you were going to board a ship and immediately take off on a TA or TP without that extra carryon you’ll have with much that you would need, I’d be slightly more worried about it. But hey! The airline could lose your suitcase that was supposed to be in the same flight with you.  You’re never really safe until you see it in your cabin. 
Cunard once left my suitcase on the pier in Southampton when we left on the QM2 for New York.  I didn’t get it back for over 3 weeks. It made all the way to the ship, but didn’t get the last ten feet. 
We’re going to ship the suitcase. 

Edited by jeno
  • Like 1

Thank you, Jeno!  I appreciate your advice and research.  I will be traveling around England before the cruise, so won't need the extra suitcase until I get onboard the ship.  I agree that shipping luggage is the way to go!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Twiga said:

I have one big concern, though.  What if the luggage doesn't make it to the ship in Venice?  Have any of you had experience with shipping to Venice?  Or with lost luggage? 

Not to Venice, but I have used Luggage Forward 3 times. In all cases they gave tracking numbers, and the luggage reached the port several days before sailing. The port agents store the luggage until the day of sailing. Very slick operation.

3 hours ago, retafcruiser said:

Not to Venice, but I have used Luggage Forward 3 times. In all cases they gave tracking numbers, and the luggage reached the port several days before sailing. The port agents store the luggage until the day of sailing. Very slick operation.

And I have used them for over 4 years three to four times a year and always gotten my luggage..it feels so good 10 days before your trip to be finished with the packing such a relief..

Jancruz1

• Like 1