Norwegian Star..Will it sail with American/Canada Passengers or will it sail at all??

mpdog42

Getting really curious if the Star out of Southampton will sail with North American Passengers in late October or sail it all?

We do have over four months until sailing, but about two months until final payment.. As of yesterday the UK government still requires test and a quarantine,

plus the ship has stops in several EU country's as well...Would love some imput from UK and EU posters.... 

I have no specific info, but I’d not be confident of that cruise going ahead as planned.

Cases in the UK have started increasing recently. There haven’t been many hospitalisations due to high vaccination rates, but there is a lot of pressure to slow things down with regard to opening things up, and specifically regarding foreign travel, and I think that it is likely that there will be restrictions on travel for a while yet (Portugal was just taken off the very short list of places we can travel to for example).

It is possible that the cruise will go ahead, but maybe with a changed itinerary, but there has to be a good chance that not everything will come together for you to be able to travel over here and join it, or for it not to be the cruise you want.

18 hours ago, KeithJenner said:

I have no specific info, but I’d not be confident of that cruise going ahead as planned.

Cases in the UK have started increasing recently. There haven’t been many hospitalisations due to high vaccination rates, but there is a lot of pressure to slow things down with regard to opening things up, and specifically regarding foreign travel, and I think that it is likely that there will be restrictions on travel for a while yet (Portugal was just taken off the very short list of places we can travel to for example).

It is possible that the cruise will go ahead, but maybe with a changed itinerary, but there has to be a good chance that not everything will come together for you to be able to travel over here and join it, or for it not to be the cruise you want.

Thanks for the reply, i noticed that there seems to be a lack of interest in this topic here on CC, That shows me a lot...Thanks

On 6/7/2021 at 9:59 AM, mpdog42 said:

Getting really curious if the Star out of Southampton will sail with North American Passengers in late October or sail it all?

It's all a mystery, I have an Encore Alaska sailing out of Seattle in October and am in the same boat as you, will I be allowed into the US with or without quarantine by then?
My entry to the US appears to be the only sticking point on a sail now.

Lets both hope that with both our countries vaccination levels they can open the skies by October.

21 minutes ago, ziggyuk said:

It's all a mystery, I have an Encore Alaska sailing out of Seattle in October and am in the same boat as you, will I be allowed into the US with or without quarantine by then?
My entry to the US appears to be the only sticking point on a sail now.

Lets both hope that with both our countries vaccination levels they can open the skies by October.

Yes I totally Agree!!!....However the sticking point comes at Final Payment!!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mpdog42 said:

Yes I totally Agree!!!....However the sticking point comes at Final Payment!!

Maybe we can swap cruises 😂

I live 20 minutes from Southampton................................... I'm an inside, hope you're in the Haven 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, ziggyuk said:

Maybe we can swap cruises 😂

I live 20 minutes from Southampton................................... I'm an inside, hope you're in the Haven 😂

Alaska in October...No Way.🥶..Missouri is bad enough in the Winter  but very pretty in October

• Like 1

I was originally supposed to be on this sailing in October.  I became less and less confident after going to the UK for work. I decided to cancel and move on. Planning on my long adventure for next year and will stick to shorter stuff around here that might actually go.  

• Like 1

Looking at some of the "small" pockets of outbreaks and surges in new cases around the globe ... and, the facts that some of the ASEAN countries just hit their pause button, again, like Malaysia with their 2 weeks nationak lockdown to contain the Delta strains from being spread further - not sure about cruising in those region anytime soon.  Not to mention that airfares and flight availabilities are mad crazy & just nuts on T/A connections with various restrictions - fly into HKG and you are subject to an automatic quarantine for 14 days if fully vaccinated or 21 days otherwise, at your own expenses for designated hotel & meals while being held in isolation, and that's practically regardless of one's nationality & origination/transit points, etc.  

I am for a cruise-to-nowhere with fellow cruisers holding residency status or passports from the same region or locale.  Let's see how successful the cruise industry can fully vaccinated - in the coming weeks & months - as they ramp up their returning ship crews & officers, etc. and, indirectly, put in safeguards against dock/pier & shore-based contractors that will invariably be in contacts with passengers.  

Paying attention to crew news on those cruise blogs & sites.  Haven't been paying too much attention to cruises out of EU and UK.  

• Like 3

5 hours ago, mpdog42 said:

Alaska in October...No Way.🥶..Missouri is bad enough in the Winter  but very pretty in October

I'm sailing Alaska in October.  The weather is always warm (and the drinks cold) in that fantastic observation lounge.  Ain't nothing wrong with slapping on a coat to step outside in the afternoon to spot some whales or gaze at the glacier.  It's like skiing.  No need to complain about the cold, just enjoy the experience.  It's too bad that the Skagway trains won't happen, but there's always next time....  I think our next Alaska is scheduled for May 2023, so hopefully the waterfalls will look great!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mking8288 said:

fly into HKG and you are subject to an automatic quarantine for 14 days if fully vaccinated or 21 days otherwise, at your own expenses for designated hotel & meals while being held in isolation, and that's practically regardless of one's nationality & origination/transit points, etc.

This is absolutely true we have family there.

The big problem with HKG is they have had hardly any cases because they shut down the boarders early, they have had a great time for the last year with hardly any covid.
Now the problem is, nobody can be bothered to have the vaccine & they are having to get rid of stock plies of vaccine because the people won't come and get it, they are even doing lucky draws to win an apartment or big monetary amounts to try and encourage people, this is actually working and people are queueing for the jab when an apartment is up for grabs.

But the truth is, unless they can truly get real numbers to come forward and get vaccinated they will have to stay shut off from the world.

• Like 1

On 6/7/2021 at 3:59 AM, mpdog42 said:

We do have over four months until sailing, but about two months until final payment.. As of yesterday the UK government still requires test and a quarantine,

plus the ship has stops in several EU country's as well...Would love some imput from UK and EU posters.... 

YES.. Please more info. from people in UK and European Port areas...  Emma Cruises has had some very interesting answers to these questions on her YT channel from the UK ... and they were not what I wanted to hear!

^^ These were exactly our questions.  The Star has a few excellent itineraries but I am fearful of setting myself up for failure; AGAIN! I did a few mock bookings with an outside agency, and there were multiple cabins (Good Cabins) available... on multiple sailings.. that leads me to believe many people have the same questions and fears you suggest. 

We have 2 years of prior vacation time banked (We did not have any time off during the Pandemic), one of those years held over will be "Use or Lose" at the end of 2021, so we were/are very interested in finding itineraries we have not taken before and the Star looked very interesting...even though the ship does NOT look very entertaining.  

But until we see some definite  sailings in Europe for USAmericans; we will be sticking with only our TA and not booking anything additional.  Hopefully, we will do a land based prior and take the TA home. (Already had original TA canceled)

Even though, I would love to book.....

Edited by Gen X Life

2 hours ago, Gen X Life said:

YES.. Please more info. from people in UK and European Port areas...  Emma Cruises has had some very interesting answers to these questions on her YT channel from the UK ... and they were not what I wanted to hear!

^^ These were exactly our questions.  The Star has a few excellent itineraries but I am fearful of setting myself up for failure; AGAIN! I did a few mock bookings with an outside agency, and there were multiple cabins (Good Cabins) available... on multiple sailings.. that leads me to believe many people have the same questions and fears you suggest. 

We have 2 years of prior vacation time banked (We did not have any time off during the Pandemic), one of those years held over will be "Use or Lose" at the end of 2021, so we were/are very interested in finding itineraries we have not taken before and the Star looked very interesting...even though the ship does NOT look very entertaining.  

But until we see some definite  sailings in Europe for USAmericans; we will be sticking with only our TA and not booking anything additional.  Hopefully, we will do a land based prior and take the TA home. (Already had original TA canceled)

Take a look at Carnival's 14 day Journeys cruise out of Baltimore (Pride)...

2 hours ago, Gen X Life said:

Thanks for the info, Final payment is going to be make it or break it for me!!!

Well I wanted to bring this topic back as I saw the brits extend the lockdown till July 17....This cruise is still possible for us Americans but it's not looking good as Final payment is at the first part of August...