"Free vaccines for all guests"

neptuno

Imagine what a headline this would make.  If you could get the jab from your travel agent before traveling to the US(or elsewhere)!  What would it cost up front?  And... imagine the payback in travel bookings!

2 hours ago, neptuno said:

Imagine what a headline this would make.  If you could get the jab from your travel agent before traveling to the US(or elsewhere)!  What would it cost up front?  And... imagine the payback in travel bookings!

I do think that most rich countries (where most of the cruisers live) already offer free vaccinations for Covid so no need to get it from the travel agent.

• Like 4

The problem there is the countries that are struggling to get their hands on vaccines, Australia would be a good example (2.3% fully vaccinated) have their boarder shut tight and will remain that way until they can vaccinate their population.

Hong Kong is quite the opposite, they shut their boarder down at the start (remember when the cruises could not stop?), now because they have never had much virus the people can't be bothered to get the vaccine, they are even offering apartments and other things in lucky draws to encourage vaccination. 

Shut boarders and quarantines are the bigger issue right now.

Edited by ziggyuk

20 hours ago, neptuno said:

Who, in the US can't ALREADY get a free vaccine?

I talked to a Vietnamese gal who said the vaccine is being sold to the people for 1000.00 per shot. Only the government and rich have gotten the vaccine, nobody else can afford it. I thank God every day I am an American. I have no desire to sail to any foreign port. My next cruise is Hawaii

On 6/9/2021 at 5:57 AM, ziggyuk said:

The problem there is the countries that are struggling to get their hands on vaccines, Australia would be a good example (2.3% fully vaccinated) have their boarder shut tight and will remain that way until they can vaccinate their population.

Hong Kong is quite the opposite, they shut their boarder down at the start (remember when the cruises could not stop?), now because they have never had much virus the people can't be bothered to get the vaccine, they are even offering apartments and other things in lucky draws to encourage vaccination. 

Shut boarders and quarantines are the bigger issue right now.

In the US we spell it "border," is "boarder" another Britishism? If so, I'd like to know. I love British English, BTW. Thank you once again for being part of the vaccine trial! I will always be grateful to you for helping the cruise industry get back on its feet.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, DCGuy64 said:

In the US we spell it "border," is "boarder" another Britishism? If so, I'd like to know. I love British English, BTW. Thank you once again for being part of the vaccine trial! I will always be grateful to you for helping the cruise industry get back on its feet.

Haha, no just me not concentrating 😂 a "boarder" would be someone staying in lodgings with food included 😂 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ziggyuk said:

Haha, no just me not concentrating 😂 a "boarder" would be someone staying in lodgings with food included 😂 

Yes, I'm familiar with that usage, too. Like "room and board." But darn, I thought I'd found a new British spelling! 😂

• Haha 1

Back on topic, we have friends from Spain who have not been offered the vax.  In all fairness, with millions of Americans refusing vaccination, it should not be that hard to offer free vacs to those who wish them.

Funny enough Alaska have been doing exactly this for some time, only problem is..... you have to get there first 🤔

LINK

As of June 1, anyone age 12 and older from anywhere around the world can get a vaccine in Alaska. The shots are readily available at any of the state's major airports, Gov. Mike Dunleavy announced during a news conference on Friday.

On 6/9/2021 at 2:39 AM, neptuno said:

Edited by marielco
Here in Ireland vaccination is free I didn’t realise there were countries charging for it

The point was meant to be directed to those who wish the vax but cannot get it in their country yet, like Spain.  Not to mention those in SE Asia who would pay a premium to buy it.  Yes, those of us who have a relative safety net need not complain.

5 hours ago, neptuno said:

The point was meant to be directed to those who wish the vax but cannot get it in their country yet, like Spain.  Not to mention those in SE Asia who would pay a premium to buy it.  Yes, those of us who have a relative safety net need not complain.

I was mainly thinking about your word "free". I assume that the vaccination will be free in Spain when it's available. Until it's available, will a Spanish TA be able to offer vaccine? 

Good point, travel agents are not pharmacies.  But let's say for example, one booking a cruise could qualify for a vaccine purchased ahead by the cruise industry, for which the booking agent could issue a voucher.  Of course, production and distribution will be a bottleneck for some time to come.

39 minutes ago, neptuno said:

Good point, travel agents are not pharmacies.  But let's say for example, one booking a cruise could qualify for a vaccine purchased ahead by the cruise industry, for which the booking agent could issue a voucher.  Of course, production and distribution will be a bottleneck for some time to come.

I do think that in most rich countries as long as vaccination isn't available for the population a TA will not be allowed to offer some kind of "fast track" to skip the lines. In poorer countries it may be possible but if someone can afford to cruise they are probably also able to pay for the vaccine. 

4 hours ago, neptuno said:

In places where the vaccine is widely available and 'free', offering free vaccines is unnecessary.

In countries where the vaccine is not widely available why would the governing authorities allow cruiselines, serving a leisure activity to the most privileged people, be allowed to jump the line and purchase vaccines ahead of their priority?

• 2 weeks later...