From what I've heard, RCCL will be contacting the Pullmantur crew for employment in early Dec 2021...

Stockjock

If this is true, it could mean one of several things:

A. Some/many/all could be redeployed to other Royal Caribbean/Celebrity ships.

B. The transference of one or more Celebrity or Royal Caribbean ships to a reorganized Pullmantur, as they begin to hire the crew back.  If this occurs, I'm still betting on the possibility of Celebrity Infinity and Celebrity Constellation going to Pullmantur, but only time will tell.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
52 minutes ago, Skipper Tim said:

Still no word? 

There seems to be two possibilities.

A. A few ships will be moved to Pullmantur so that they may restart operations.  Most likely Celebrity Infinity and Celebrity Constellation.

or

B. Pullmantur will remain dormant/deceased.

Still betting on Option A, but only time will tell.

That said, here's some new information.  Seems that they are still trying to restart operations.

A quote from the article...

"If an investor can be found then the shipping company can restart, and reinstate the workforce, but in the absence of any investor then the process would end up with the extinction on Pullmantur."  They've apparently come to terms with most of their prior investors, returning 83% of monies owed, but several investors are not accepting their offer, as I understand it.

https://www.euroweeklynews.com/2021/07/15/spanish-cruise-company-pullmantur-requests-to-open-the-liquidation-process/?fbclid=IwAR0JVKImN7Halmg2NLUHGFJ7-PfHCd6qmZ3U0Cs9CcgJMSMdrJA6L9Swd2M

Edited by Stockjock
  • Like 1

I'm very glad to hear the former employees will have the opportunity to go to work for Royal Caribbean and/or Celebrity. 

Frankly I think the Pullmantur brand is likely defunct; however, I could see the Royal Caribbean Group launching a new brand to serve that market using perhaps those ships you mentioned. Aida and Costa and P&O certainly seem to do well for Carnival Corp. in their respective Euro markets / languages.

I think a fresh start would not only eliminate the old debt but an upgrade might be timely. Particularly when it's mentioned that the ships felt "old and cramped."  Millennium was stunning when I sailed her 20 years ago and the reviews on her latest major refresh are excellent so the others in that class certainly have plenty of potential to raise the bar. Perhaps Cruceros Celebridad?

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Just to follow up, of course none of this happened.  In my view, there were efforts to restore Pullmantur, I suspect with a fleet of 3 ships.  However, in the end, Pullmantur's financial woes coupled with no customers due to the covid pandemic, were just too daunting, and so it was ultimately decided to simply wind the company down.

• Like 1