Curious about attitude towards children

CruisinGrams

I have been reading a lot of the postings and it seems that a large percentage of the people sailing HAL dislike the presence of young children. I can understand if they are being brats, but what about letting them experience the old work elegance before it is gone. I am starting to have second thought about taking our daughter and her 4.5 YO son with us to Alaska because he may be made to feel unwelcome. What are your thoughts?

Many people here will express negative opinions about taking small (or any) children on cruises. However, only once in my cruise history have I ever directly seen a fellow pax do or say anything snide, hurtful or otherwise inappropriate to either the child or the parents, and that was on Celebrity, not HAL. The staff will go out of their way to welcome and accomodate you and your small passenger.

As for the passengers, most will welcome you, some will politely avoid you, and unless you make some poor decisions yourself (e.g. crying child in the 10 pm show, which I'm sure you wouldn't do anyway), you're not likely to get dirty looks or unpleasant comments.

Cheers, and happy cruising,

Friday

I have been reading a lot of the postings and it seems that a large percentage of the people sailing HAL dislike the presence of young children. I can understand if they are being brats, but what about letting them experience the old work elegance before it is gone. I am starting to have second thought about taking our daughter and her 4.5 YO son with us to Alaska because he may be made to feel unwelcome. What are your thoughts?

Hi CruisinGrams:

Just a couple of quick thoughts:

I'm planning on taking my own children this summer to Alaska on HAL. I think the Westerdam (which you mention elsewhere will be your ship, I believe) has completed its SOE upgrades, including the enhanced Club Hal facilities for children. If this is the case, then your grandson would be old enough to participate. If I am wrong, and they don't yet accept children younger than 5, I would check with the Club Hal director onboard to see if they will accept your grandson into the program, especially if either you or your daughter were to remain with him. HAL is promoting themselves as a family-friendly cruiseline, so I have to assume that means your young grandson would be welcome onboard. I'm a HAL customer, and I happen to like children:), and I know I'm not the only one to feel that way about youngsters.

You seem like a concerned and caring grandmother. I'm sure your grandson will do just fine.

Children on a cruise are fine. As noted, there is no issue if they are properly behaved. It's the few who are not mature enough to keep themselves under control who hamper the pleasantness of a cruise for others.

I have found that kids get a lot of attention on a cruise ... from both crew and other pax. It's a great experience for them. If they can handle it, by all means take them and have a wonderful time.

What a great idea to expose your children to esp. formal dinners. It is because my parents took me to Bermuda all through the 70s and 80s that I learned how to sit through a 5 course meal, that consumme was just broth with stuff in it, and was always a safe choice for the soup course, and that one could always scrape the sauce off a fancy sounding beef dish. As a teacher of teens, I find many of them don't have the social skills for a formal occasion.

The only time I find kids a bit bothersome is at the pool when a group decides to dive bomb and I can't enjoy the water from getting chlorine in my eyes. The family or neighborhood pool isn't the same as a pool in a hotel or cruise ship when one has to share. A big thank you to my Mom for teaching me consideration! To think of all the years I didn't really like her.

I have always taken my children from the time they were 6 and 8, they are each expierenced cruiser and are very well behaved(so I was told by other pax) However I think its the little ones that have total run of the ship without any parent supervision that people dont care much for.

I remember one trip particular that a few kids, i'd say approx 12 years old were running down a hall turned a corner and ran right into an elderly woman knocking her down and hurting her, they never stopped, kept running with out regaurds to what they just did.(a very isolated incodent)

All in all I love to see children on cruise ships, we always enjoy seeing them dressed for dinner and just having fun with all their club HAL friends.

In closing bring your children, it will open a whole new world for them, and Im sure its going to be an expierence you will love to share with them, just make sure they remember to pack their manners:rolleyes:

I have three grown children (28,24,21) and I work as a school nurse around children each day from K-12th....and I enjoyed the Christmas Cruise even sat in the Lido Hottub with probably 12 young ones splashing and laughing...I enjoyed every moment, if they got to rowdy, I simply reminded them that this old woman was praying and that less facial water was great to me. They were very gracious to me.

A supervised child can open up your windows to a "little bite of Heaven on Earth".

We have all been children and the one thing I realize more and more as I age is that we return to some of our childhood tendencies as we age (both my parents are alive and kicking)!

Enjoy your cruise and I hope he does too.

LHC

Do bring your children. This being said from one who doesn't have children and prefer not to have masses of them around. HE HE HE!

For some the experience is to get away from the daily routine and have a minimum of hassles and in-your-faces experiences. Not every child is a brat and not every parent is an irresponsible parent so sometimes there are comments that may sound like there is a huge anti-children rally being planned. However, sometimes we just run into those crowds that have an excess of children yelling and screaming and without much control and for which the constant noise level and running around is enough to make one's head spin.

I say ignore the comments and children will be children. As long as they are mindful of the fact they are not at home and in company of other people I think everything works out fine.

... Not every child is a brat and not every parent is an irresponsible parent...

Unfortunately, it doesn't take many to spoil a good time. This doesn't just apply to cruise ships, but every other gathering of people I can think of.

We would be so much better off if people would be just a little more aware of how their actions affect others. Just saying please and thank you is a good start. And while we're at it...WOULD YOU PLEASE USE YOUR SIGNALS WHEN CHANGING LANES????:eek: sorry:p

We've cruised HAL before, but this is the first time w/our kids (11 & 13). It seems there are less kids on the smaller HAL ships (same w/the longer cruises), although even they have upgraded their kids areas.

Vista class ships are geared more towards families and the little ones are welcomed with open arms from what I've read...as long as they're well behaved (even then, they're still welcomed).

My kids asked us about HAL and our upcoming Alaska cruise...they've cruised RCL, Disney and Princess...and it surprised me when they stated "so there won't be as many screaming little kids like on XXXX (don't get me wrong, we all loved XXXXX)?"

Even kids don't like the loud unruly masses! :D

We started cruising with our kids when they were 6 & 11. They had a blast and we enjoyed spending all that time with them. Their first cruise was on the Amsterdam through the Panama Canal. We actually thought they'd be interested in watching the ship through all the locks - but we couldn't get them out of the pool, lol so I missed much of the actual passage through the locks.

There were not many kids on that sailing, but I can honestly say I did not see a misbehaved kid in the bunch - and I spent quite a bit of time around all of them.

One thing - we made sure our kids understood all the rules - especially the pool rules - and about not running on the Lido deck etc., waiting patiently in the buffet line, etc. They ate dinner with us and initally our tablemates from Canada were dismayed to find kids at the table (they told us so after the 3 or 4th night) and ended up being pleasantly delighted by the kids as neither couple had young children or grandchildren.

It is important for kids to remember that they are not the only ones on the ship (and kids are naturally more self absorbed and pay less attention to the others around them, unless they are other kids) and that they need to repect other swimmers, sunbathers, avoid screaming, excessive splashing etc. We never allowed our children to use the hot tubs, but I have seen other kids monopolizing them - which I think is unfair to all the pax. I think (though not sure if it's posted) there used to be an age requirement of 13, but I've never seen it enforced on any of our cruises.

The aft pool is supposed to be adults only, but many cruisers are not aware of this. We never allowed the kids to use the aft pool, but now that our son is 17, he & friends will occasionally sunbathe there and take a quick dip.

If a child cannot sit still for dinner for about an hour, and does not yet have the ability to use proper table manners - I would not sit with other passengers. If they will get up from their seat and run around, I would not eat in the D/R, rather opt for the Lido casual option.

Keep in mind too, Club HAL evening activities revolve around the first seating, so you may be better off booking first seating - most kids love to particiapte in the evening activites.

Overall, kids are welcome and ours have always had a fantastic time. We have two other cruises this year booked with our children - this summer will be their first trip to Europe and we will be cruising the Med - they are very excited. :)

We cruised to Alaska with my husband's entire family, which included a teen, a tween, and an 8 year-old. They had plenty of company - lots of kids on this cruise, and I honestly can say I had no unpleasant interaction with unruly brats. Sure, some of them like to push every button when the get on the elevator. Big deal. The most obnoxious person I encountered was an impatient 70-something woman who repeatedly smashed my hand with her tray in the Lido and didn't stop or apologize even when I said "ouch". Guess she was hungry.:rolleyes:

We were on the Maasdam for Christmas. I would have never had guessed how many children were on the ship if we hadn't gone to see Santa on Christmas morning. There were tons of them. But during the cruise, the activity staff must have kept them very busy.

I'm fairly sure nobody wants to be around unruly children, nor rude adults for that matter. Unfortunately there's a good chance you're going to see some of each on a cruise. Yes, it used to be that children were few and far between on HAL. As I recall on my first Ryndam cruise in the early 90's there were 3 children on the ship. (They were with their grandparents and were the hit of the cruise.....everybody wanted to be their "grandparents". :) ) By March 2004 there were 200+ on our Oosterdam cruise. I don't recall any specific problems or events that caused us to think we'd rather be back on the first Ryndam cruise. Yep....there was some running on the deck around the pool....a night or two when then was some playing in the hallway outside our cabin....some elevator riding (apparently a favorite pastime of bored children) but none of it to the point where it was a problem. If the kids are behaved (kids will be kids) then bring them on....they have the right to a good vacation with their families like anybody else. Rude adults.....them I'd like to throw over the side but that's a discussion for another thread. :rolleyes:

We're about to take our kids (ages 8 and 10) on their 4th cruise. We've gone each of the last 4 years. I've always been aware that they are guests in an adult environment and should behave accordingly.

It is not much different than bringing your kids to a wedding. They're welcome to enjoy themselves, but not at the expense of others. I don't want someone else's out-of-control kids ruining my vacation, why should I think someone else wants my kids to do the same to them?

I've also noticed a lot of anti-rugrat sentiment on these boards as well but believe it is in the same category as lawyers. We make lawyer jokes and make fun of them but don't feel all lawyers deserve the reputation. It's the few, (maybe more than a few), bad ones that cause us to make broad generalizations.

Take your son to Alaska, by all means!

It's not kids that most people on these boards have a problem with ... it's misbehaving brats whose parents couldn't care less that they are running amok all over the ship. Children who follow the same rules of behavior as anyone else onboard are more than welcome. In fact, they are often a pleasure ... a welcome breath of fresh air on a cruise populated by mostly older folks (including myself).

Blue skies ...

--rita

All my HAL cruises have been longer ones, so we've encountered very few children. The children we have met were well behaved, charming and well supervised.

On a 21 day cruise on the Ryndam in 2001, a lovely family with 2 adorable Chinese daughters was with us and the children we adorable, well behaved, polite and generally a pleasure to have on the ship.

If the children meet the above description, most people will not only enjoy them, but will dote on them. Most of us are doting grandparents and although we love children, nobody wants them to create a disturbance. I classify myself as a totally crazed grandmother.

I think well behaved children are fine on a cruise. Especially if they have been allowed to experience going out to eat in nice restaurants and learning

good manners from their family members. Don't wait until the boat pulls away to suddenly remember that you forgot to work with them on these points...lol! Choose family oriented cruise plans and you can't go wrong. The staff works hard to accomodate their needs as well as yours. Carnival is especially good at this.

Last year we cruised to Eastern Carribean on Zuiderdam with very few children or teens aboard. One set of parents in our group decided it would be best for their 19 yr. old to come with us instead of allowing her to go to FL on Spring Break. She made them pay dearly with daily pouting and boredom

announcements. Some Holland America cruises are more sedate than others...just choose one that all of your family will enjoy. Good Luck!

I guess I have such high expectations of my own kids that I am disappointed in the behavior of other peoples children. If my kids are annoying you they are definately annoying me and I don't tolerate it. Personally I enjoy the older kids very much and I enjoy the company of any well behaved child no matter what age.

On our Princess cruise last year there were a gang of 10-12 year olds that were absolutely obnoxious. One pool had a sign that said, "Adults Only." Now every other pool on the ship allowed them but some parents insisted that they had paid just as much for their child to cruise as the adults did and they would condone them swimming wherever thay wanted.

At one point we had a very elderly gentleman climb into the pool with the assistance of several of us around him. We carfeully lowered him into the pool only to have him be a near miss by a 12 year old torpedo. The kids would run, jump, splash...I wanted to drown one little girl in particular.

It's that kind of parent and her spoiled brat that gives good parents and good kids a bad rap.

If you take your child or grandchild on a cruise and they are well behaved...you will gain the respect of your fellow cruisers. If your child is a pin-up for Willy Wonka's bad egg list, expect people to be rude and make comments to you and about them.

Although taking your children to nice restaurants or a wedding certainly is something that has to be done to teach them appropriate manners, a week long cruise (or more) can be strenuous for certain children.

I don't know. Do they all love the "camp" atmosphere of camp HAL? If a child does not like it (I mean really hates it, not just makes a small complaint) suddenly has to be with mummy and daddy, it might be wise to have a plan B as a backup.

I've seen those "going to the hospital" type books for children who are about to have their tonsils out. Maybe one of you enterprising parents could write your own "going on a cruise" book so you could play make believe ahead of time, creating various scenarios, allowing them to do stuff they really won't be able to do, like punch every elevator deck button as a joke as they're getting off, because the next step would be for them to put themselves in the position of the people on the elevator who were going to be late to, or miss, their excursion because the elevator stopped at every floor. Just some natural consequences type stuff.

Like everyone has said, those not traveling with children rarely see them onboard because they are either in "camp" or are so well behaved that you don't notice them! Just remember that you MIGHT have to alter your own plans when you have a child with you.

No brats encountered on any of my cruises. However, last night on Valentine's Day, I was out in a restaurant where a kid (about 10) with long hair and a winter hat on (yes indoors) was using chopsticks and the table as drums. GRRRRRR!

We were on the other side of the restaurant and wanted to grab those sticks out of his hands and throw them out the window. Just glad I was too busy eating!

Hi CruisinGrams:

Just a couple of quick thoughts:

I'm planning on taking my own children this summer to Alaska on HAL. I think the Westerdam (which you mention elsewhere will be your ship, I believe) has completed its SOE upgrades, including the enhanced Club Hal facilities for children. If this is the case, then your grandson would be old enough to participate. If I am wrong, and they don't yet accept children younger than 5, I would check with the Club Hal director onboard to see if they will accept your grandson into the program, especially if either you or your daughter were to remain with him. HAL is promoting themselves as a family-friendly cruiseline, so I have to assume that means your young grandson would be welcome onboard. I'm a HAL customer, and I happen to like children:), and I know I'm not the only one to feel that way about youngsters.

You seem like a concerned and caring grandmother. I'm sure your grandson will do just fine.

I agree totally with Middle-aged Mom! :) We will be bringing our "big" kids (teen boys) on our Amsterdam Christmas cruise. They adored an Easter cruise on the Zaandam last March, thus the 14 holiday cruise. I notice Middle-aged Mom and family will be joining us!!! (Note to Middle aged Mom- started a roll call for the 12/19/06 cruise awhile back, hope you check it out!)

I am sure your Grandson will have an awesome time!!:D

Archived