Dining with Ship Officer

Oxo

23 minutes ago, Pinboy said:

The same " interesting statements " are most likely heard at every meal the Sr Staff attend as part of their job

Not these statements.. kinda racial insensitive.. and we, nor the other guests called him out on it but it did shake us.

Let me add while we do not think it was intentional.. it was surprising. 

Edited by rucrazy
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, rucrazy said:

Not these statements.. kinda racial insensitive.. and we, nor the other guests called him out on it but it did shake us.

Let me add while we do not think it was intentional.. it was surprising. 

You are a good sport and while perhaps not intentional, he still sounds quite ignorant 

Edited by LGW59
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

You are a good sport and while perhaps not intentional, still quite ignorant 

We were dining with the Captain and a young African American policeman from Boston who help capture one of the bombers .. his wife and he looked at us and we just winced and smiled... we spoke to each other briefly about it after dinner.. and that was the end of it.

Edited by rucrazy

For those of you who have never experienced this event it was very special to most of us. 

I didn't post this to create controversy, nor for those who attended to brag.

Why do people always find or express negativity into any subject?

If you would not attend,  think it is to ...,

Just read and move on.

I personally believe we need more positive events in our lives. 

Enough said!

Enjoy you next cruise whenever it maybe.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, rucrazy said:

We were dining with the Captain and a young African American policeman from Boston who help capture one of the bombers .. his wife and he looked at us and we just winced and smiled... we spoke to each other briefly about it after dinner.. and that was the end of it.

Class acts, each of you!  My partner, very soon to be husband, is Chinese and I am white, also a 20 year age gap.  We’ve been together for several years and we had such comments and at the beginning I would confront/challenge the person.  Finally I realized was not worth my energy, cannot change ignorance.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

For the right incentive you can dine at my table.  I'm a US Navy Captain with 30 years in uniform...and have been sailing the seas since 1949 and first trans-Atlantic.

Thank you for your service. We are 20 year USAF. DH chose to fly and after, decided to cruise since 1986. He worked with the US Navy at Crystal City and POMFLANT.

Happy Sailing/Cruising!

Stay Safe!

Just now, LGW59 said:

Finally I realized was not worth my energy, cannot change ignorance.

I am not saying it's not worth it ..but at my age I have finally learned which battles to fight....and which to dismiss

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

For the right incentive you can dine at my table.  I'm a US Navy Captain with 30 years in uniform...and have been sailing the seas since 1949 and first trans-Atlantic.

Only if you wear your uniform with full regalia...

bon voyage

• Haha 2

30 minutes ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

Some captains don't do this any more.

I agree with Captain Kate.

Easily understood--  It's all a part of doing Business .

LOL--- How many times can a Captain dine with 10-12 " Customers ", none of whom know each other , and chat about the same XX on every cruise ? 

" Nice to have you with us again " --- " How many times have you sailed with us " ?---- " Where are you from " ? '' Must be cold up there " ---- Blah, Blah, Blah. 

2 minutes ago, Pinboy said:

LOL--- How many times can a Captain dine with 10-12 " Customers ", none of whom know each other , and chat about the same XX on every cruise ? 

" Nice to have you with us again " --- " How many times have you sailed with us " ?---- " Where are you from " ? '' Must be cold up there " ---- Blah, Blah, Blah. 

There are at least two types of tables: One type includes people who don't know each other or the officer. What you've been saying applies to those tables of strangers. They are probably the majority. The second type of table is where the host invited people they know and the most of the people invited know each other. I've been to both and can tell you that #2 is much more enjoyable.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Some people need to lighten up,,,the quote re ‘eating with the staff’ is a very old joke on this side of the pond.

A joke regularly used by comedians,,,,even on Celebrity ships.

Usually runs alongside cabins described as cupboard and the myriad jokes about asking the Captain  at dinner ‘who’s driving the ship?’

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, Pinboy said:

Capt. Kate was very visual during the cruise. Interfaced with the passengers every day. Even attended the shows and sat in the crowd. 

Believe she is still on the Edge.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, JeanieC,Aston said:

Some people need to lighten up,,,the quote re ‘eating with the staff’ is a very old joke on this side of the pond.

A joke regularly used by comedians,,,,even on Celebrity ships.

Usually runs alongside cabins described as cupboard and the myriad jokes about asking the Captain  at dinner ‘who’s driving the ship?’

Very true at times here, me included.  The response I posted to that person, it was verbatim to a previous post from HIM to someone about masks.  

8 minutes ago, Oxo said:

Capt. Kate was very visual during the cruise. Interfaced with the passengers every day. Even attended the shows and sat in the crowd. 

Believe she is still on the Edge.

There are many Captain's who interface with passengers. Some walk through MDR and chat with passengers. Several go to bars and ask to sit with passengers. The younger Captains seem to me to be more involved in the social aspects of their job than some of the older and retired Captains. Perhaps it's a generational thing.

11 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

Very true at times here, me included.  The response I posted to that person, it was verbatim to a previous post from HIM to someone about masks.  

Which was to someone with a very negative attitude about the need to wear masks in Europe,

• Like 2

When we were on the Edge with Captain Kate, she was mobbed everywhere she went-and she went everywhere. I could easily imagine her not wanting to dine in public because of the inevitable interruptions that may occur. I don't know if this is the reason or not, but it seems logical to me.

9 minutes ago, Orator said:

There are many Captain's who interface with passengers. Some walk through MDR and chat with passengers. Several go to bars and ask to sit with passengers. The younger Captains seem to me to be more involved in the social aspects of their job than some of the older and retired Captains. Perhaps it's a generational thing.

As I get older, the captains get younger, what is up with that?!?

• Like 2