Florida wins so Carnival can sail with kids

lobster1313

7 hours ago, TNcruising02 said:

Carnival is only allowing a small number of unvaccinated cruisers.

You keep saying that but you have no way to know. 

In the USA full vaccination rates are under 45%. Closer to 40% in Florida.

if no one will be “required” to show proof of vaccination how can you possibly make the statement that they are “only allowing a small number”?

sincerely curious

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BoozinCroozin said:

This answers my question whether they would actually do exemptions. Good for you on being able to go.

Thank you. There's a post on the roll call for the ages of the approvals, all the posts have been for children between 7 to 12.  It appears that they are sending the denial emails on Monday. There was someone who called that has an infant and his request wasn't approved.  

• Like 2

Just now, caniuseit said:

if no one will be “required” to show proof of vaccination how can you possibly make the statement that they are “only allowing a small number”?

sincerely curious

Because CCL publicly stated it maybe?!?!?

FL has a law that they cannot require vaccine proof. However, there is nothing on the law that allows different protocols for those that voluntarily share it. The cruise lines can bypass the law by asking you to volunteer and no need for covid testing. If you choose not to share, you agree to testing X number of times at your expense. I am not sure which cruise line did this and it is $160/test. Requiring one at embarkation, mid-cruise, and debarkation will add $480pp. If there are unvaccinated in the cabin, everyone in the cabin is subject to the testing. During the cruise, the cabin is quarantine until after the test comes back. This is what the cruise lines need to do for vaccine verification.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, caniuseit said:

sincerely curious

Are you using vaccination rates that include children?  From what I have seen the adult vaccination rate is significantly higher.  Over age 18 is a lot more than what you are saying.

Edited by balcony bound
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, caniuseit said:

sincerely curious

Well, we don't care if unvaccinated cruise with us. We are cruising when we can and without masks except for embarking and in port. So to us it makes no difference. Seastheday

Edited by MamallamaAndDaddy
Typo
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, BoozinCroozin said:

Because CCL publicly stated it maybe?!?!?

FL has a law that they cannot require vaccine proof. However, there is nothing on the law that allows different protocols for those that voluntarily share it. The cruise lines can bypass the law by asking you to volunteer and no need for covid testing. If you choose not to share, you agree to testing X number of times at your expense. I am not sure which cruise line did this and it is $160/test. Requiring one at embarkation, mid-cruise, and debarkation will add $480pp. If there are unvaccinated in the cabin, everyone in the cabin is subject to the testing. During the cruise, the cabin is quarantine until after the test comes back. This is what the cruise lines need to do for vaccine verification.

RCL is charging $136. Not sure where $160 came from. 

8 minutes ago, balcony bound said:

Are you using vaccination rates that include children?  From what I have seen the adult vaccination rate is significantly higher.

Yes that was a total us number. 

As of late may more than half of us adults were fully vaccinated.

Unless CCL is denying service based on vaccine status, is it not “possible” that they would have a cruise with 30% or more unvaccinated?

im not saying it’s likely, but what stops it from being possible?

Just now, caniuseit said:

Unless CCL is denying service based on vaccine status, is it not “possible” that they would have a cruise with 30% or more unvaccinated?

Possible is different than probable.  Most people don't cruise, it's in the range of 24% of Americans that have cruised at least ONE time, many are not repeat cruisers.  That will significantly reduce the probability.

4 minutes ago, caniuseit said:

63% of the population older than 12 have had at least one shot so as more teens get vaccinated the numbers will increase significantly.

Wow...7 new pages since yesterday morning??  You people really should go outside and get some fresh air....

Somewhere on this forum, I read a hilarious rumor....and now it is starting to make sense.

Make the cruises 'vaccination required', but do not ask for proof upon embarkment,  you will have to fill out a form stating you've gotten the vaccination.  Then, once in international waters, everyone must provide their proof (if you haven't voluntarily provided it already).  Those that cannot provide proof will be disembarked at the first port and on their own.  Hilarious....but brilliant 🤣

Now, before anyone goes running off and tries to post this as TRUTH....again, I say....IT WAS A RUMOR!!  But a funny one.

Now go outside!!! 

All this back and forth is boring, nothing matters except what Carnival ultimately decides.  There will be plenty of time for all this 'discussion'(?) once the rules are laid out.

Happy Father's Day...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sailingships said:

The idea that what? That people are prejudiced against them? That they should be drinking from a different water fountain than you? 

Not to defend Boozin' but there are consequences for not being vaccinated.  Folks in that camp necessarily have much greater responsibility to protect others around them as they are far more likely to be carriers and spreaders of Covid.  It's why one still sees CDC protocols nationwide that still pertain to the unvaccinated but not to the vaccinated.  Testing, as necessary and recommended, is one of those consequences and they should bear the expense.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Admittedly, I have only skimmed part of the ruling, so didn't see this.  However, the judge is partly correct.  The USCG issues the clearance for a ship to enter or operate in US waters, based on a set of criteria like having submitted manifests and declarations to CBP, and receiving "free pratique" from the CDC clearing the ship for health and sanitation reasons.  The USCG is the ultimate authority for ships operating in US waters, but as is common, and logical, they rely on other agencies to provide expertise in areas where the USCG does not have expertise.  The USCG is not a public health or epidemiology agency, so they rely on input from the CDC (as the CDC is mandated to do) to give the USCG the best advice on whether a ship is healthy or not.  Just as the USCG relies on CBP and DEA for assistance in contraband issues.  Case in point was the drug seizure in Port Everglades this week.  A foreign ship docked in a US port is under USCG jurisdiction, but they deferred to DEA to make the search and seizure.  And it is the DEA's regulations on illegal drugs that the USCG operates under when they themselves make a seizure, not a USCG regulation, even though the USCG has overall jurisdiction.  I find the judge's ruling flawed and contradictory over what the CDC can and can't do.

Thanks for the detailed explanation.  I was perplexed over some of the details of the ruling as well. We’re not dealing with animal sickness quarantine or just sanitation issues. I’m glad someone way more qualified than I thinks the same way.  

47 minutes ago, caniuseit said:

sincerely curious

I keep saying that because that is what Carnival is stating in their emails regarding July and August cruises.  I am not just making it up.  They state that they are cruising with vaccinated cruisers and will allow a small number of exemptions for children under 12.  Anyone is who not vaccinated or cruising with a child who is not vaccinated can fill out an exemption request form, get a refund, or rebook.  They will only approve requests up to less than 5% to allow for errors.  That's what Carnival is stating in their communication.

Edited by TNcruising02

Bottom line for me....I am not willing to have my vacation interrupted or restricted because someone didn't want to get vaccinated (or couldn't or whatever).  When I step on a cruise ship, I do not want to see mask mandates, social distancing or any other restrictions regarding covid.

The new strains of the virus are making it more dangerous and more contagious to those that have not been vaccinated.  Allowing unvaxxed people onboard is just a recipe for disaster.  If cruiselines are allowing unvaxxed, I will watch from the sidelines, plenty of other places I can spend my vacation money.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, caniuseit said:

sincerely curious

24 minutes ago, caniuseit said:

You can find the relevant language on the Carnival website. In particular https://www.carnival.com/Legal/covid-19-legal-notices/covid-19-guest-protocols?icid=advisory_cruisehealth_052521

To summarize, unvaccinated numbers are limited and everyone must complete online check-in including any proof of vaccination prior to embarkation date.

• Like 4

Just now, MamallamaAndDaddy said:

At our local places they have signs on doors saying vaccinated don't have to wear a mask. So nobody practically wears them. That's the future. Just go back to normal and take the risks. 

Same here.  Freedom feels good!

32 minutes ago, MamallamaAndDaddy said:

Well, we don't care if unvaccinated cruise with us. We are cruising when we can and without masks except for embarking and in port. So to us it makes no difference. Seastheday

As it stands now, mixed cruises require masks on everyone in doors if you are in a mixed venue unless Carnival wants to police vaxxed vrs not vaxxed. And we know the honor system isn’t working in stores.  That’s the main reason they went with the 95% vaxxed cruises.  The cdc still hasn’t dropped the masking guidance for the unvaxxed on land….If I’m wearing a cdc hat , I believe they push for that to stay in their new Cso.  That forces the vaxxed issue on cruise ships.   If I see the cdc giving in on anything easily, it’s the under 12 set getting on board with negative tests and not capping those numbers at 5%

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BroadwayGirl said:

As it stands now, mixed cruises require masks on everyone in doors if you are in a mixed venue unless Carnival wants to police vaxxed vrs not vaxxed. And we know the honor system isn’t working in stores.  That’s the main reason they went with the 95% vaxxed cruises.  The cdc still hasn’t dropped the masking guidance for the unvaxxed on land….If I’m wearing a cdc hat , I believe they push for that to stay in their new Cso.  That forces the vaxxed issue on cruise ships.   If I see the cdc giving in on anything easily, it’s the under 12 set getting on board with negative tests and not capping those numbers at 5%

This isn't true. Carnival has stated no mask if vaccinated. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, MamallamaAndDaddy said:

At our local places they have signs on doors saying vaccinated don't have to wear a mask. So nobody practically wears them. That's the future. Just go back to normal and take the risks. 

15 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

Same here.  Freedom feels good!

I agree, this is great!!  It is also (for me anyway) quite different from cruising.  I love that I can go to the store and not wear a mask...but I also am very mindful of not touching things (handrails, door knobs, etc) and keeping a distance as best as possible and having my hand sanitizer handy as needed..I am fully vaccinated and my concern level is low....(also, I am not spending 7 days there)

Getting on a cruise ship, where everyone is touching everything (handrails, elevator buttons, tables, etc) is quite a different scenario.  Again, the concern level for myself is low....but the disaster rate for unvaxxed is high....therefore, interrupting my vacation....

Edited by AnitaVacation
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, AnitaVacation said:

I agree, this is great!!  It is also (for me anyway) quite different from cruising.  I love that I can go to the store and not wear a mask...but I also am very mindful of not touching things (handrails, door knobs, etc) and keeping a distance as best as possible and having my hand sanitizer handy as needed..I am fully vaccinated and my concern level is low....

Getting on a cruise ship, where everyone is touching everything (handrails, elevator buttons, tables, etc) is quite a different scenario.  Again, the concern level for myself is low....but the disaster rate for unvaxxed is high....therefore, interrupting my vacation....

I've always used hand sanitizer and washed my hands long before this pandemic.  I'm not concerned about touching things because I can wash my hands.I've never gotten sick on a cruise and ate at the buffets at least once a day.

I can understand that some people are still nervous, but flying and spending time at the airport or going to an amusement park will have a much bigger risk than cruising with tested people.  But perception is reality for people.  It's good that we are free to choose the risks we want to take for our own health.

Edited by TNcruising02
  • Like 1