LIVE from "Iceland's Natural Beauty" -- All Sailings, 2021

Peregrina651

7 minutes ago, NCbigred said:

Clay - We are from Cary NC and will be cruising on the Viking Sky embarking on August 14 (our 50th wedding anniversary!).  Can you share your bottom line summary opinion of the cruise?  Sounds like there have been some hiccups along the way.  We have visited Iceland briefly in past as layover on our way to Spain.  Thanks, Scott

We were on the Viking Sky July 10th cruise.   Everything did not go as planned especially the last three days.   That said, we would do this cruise again execately as it was without hesitation even with the hicups cause by our one positive Covid case and the confussion between various Iceland aurthorities on how to deal with the situation.   I believe everything has been now worked out between Viking and Icelandic aurthorities and would not expect a similiar situation on any of the future cruises unless their were multiple outreaks, which I beleive due to the Viking protocols is unlikely.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, kate7047 said:

We are doing a helicopter tour to get the most out of it quickly. There are also LOADS of walking tours. People with car rentals can just drive out there and walk, but the path seems to change quickly (lava) and so certainly recommend a guide. Our helicopter tour is with https://helicopter.is/.  I also looked at walking tours with https://guidetoiceland.is/book-trips-holiday/nature-tours/volcanoes and as you can see there are over 75 tours on offer. I have no opinion as to quality.

we are also looking for fly over volcano either by heli or plane can you review your trip when finished

• Like 1

I would love if anyone could share their experience on the Golden Circle and or Treasures of the North tours from the sky? also experience with the IAD to KEF  entry at around 6:30 ? Have a minibus tour at 1:30 and hope to be in our room.

12 minutes ago, ustowas said:

I would love if anyone could share their experience on the Golden Circle and or Treasures of the North tours from the sky? also experience with the IAD to KEF  entry at around 6:30 ? Have a minibus tour at 1:30 and hope to be in our room.

Read my post at #1381 on this thread for self-arranged Icelandair IAD-KEF.

Today I was on the Golden Circle today while Sue did Iceland Through the Lens. We had 30 people on our bus. The weather began and ended overcast. But beautiful sunny skies for Gullfoss and Strekkor. Our guide did an excellent job and did a running commentary all day. Lunch was at the Icelandair Hotel in Fluor. No rush all day, about four miles walking total (logged 10K steps), and plenty of restroom stops. Well worth it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

21 minutes ago, Heartgrove said:

Today I was on the Golden Circle today while Sue did Iceland Through the Lens. We had 30 people on our bus. The weather began and ended overcast. But beautiful sunny skies for Gullfoss and Strekkor. Our guide did an excellent job and did a running commentary all day. Lunch was at the Icelandair Hotel in Fluor. No rush all day, about four miles walking total (logged 10K steps), and plenty of restroom stops. Well worth it.

40 minutes ago, Heartgrove said:

1 hour ago, ustowas said:

I've seen several people who commented about the Norther Iceland's Natural Treasures (Akureyri) and it sounded quite good to me.  I know Peregrina did that one.  Maybe she'll see this and comment. 

And yes, from what I've read, you should be in your room by about 12:30, 1 at latest on embarkation day, assuming you're taking Viking transfers. There's a "Live" thread on here that's helpful if you haven't come across it yet.

1 minute ago, Sr Sailor said:

Would love to hear Sue’s thoughts on the Iceland through the lens tour.  We’re on the 7/27 sail.  Thank you, John in Sarasota, Fl

Peregrina told me about a thread in the Roll Call section where Through the Lens was reviewed.  Reviewer was very positive.  They went to a geothermal area on Reykjanes peninsula, 5 or 6 stops, and photographer/guide named Sig was excellent.  But for my cruise, there were two times offered, half hour apart.  So I'm not sure who will get Sig and who won't, and if the other excursion is as good as the one led by Sig.  

7 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

We were told that the flashing is when it is uploading info. Didn’t ever seem to be a rhyme or reason to when or how long it flashed. I was told that if it turns red that indicates a low battery. Oh, and it it starts blinking like a disco floor and plays “oops I did it again” by Brittany Spears-it means you’ve tested positive and to go immediately to throw yourself overboard 😂

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

I've seen several people who commented about the Norther Iceland's Natural Treasures (Akureyri) and it sounded quite good to me.  I know Peregrina did that one.  Maybe she'll see this and comment. 

And yes, from what I've read, you should be in your room by about 12:30, 1 at latest on embarkation day, assuming you're taking Viking transfers. There's a "Live" thread on here that's helpful if you haven't come across it yet.

Was on the 16 July 16 IAD-KEF flight which was packed.   Inbound flight was half hour late-left 20 minutes late-arrived 5 minutes early.  Delta  757 parked just ahead of us causing huge backup at immigration,  just three lines . .Huge backup at baggage claim . Left airport around 0750. Arrived Opera House around 0830,checked in by 9.  Frustrating process.  Our  Golden Circle tour today was Ok,, not great.  Lots of time on the bus.  Lunch was highlight of the day.  Guilfoss Falls was very good.

On golden circle tour today as well!  Sun was out for falls; great tour!  Also arrived on Icelandairs IAD-KEF flight; advice if NOT in SAGA class beware that NO restaurants are open in IAD terminal.  SAGA also gives you access to Air France lounge as well as decent food and beverage service onboard!

27 minutes ago, Toohottogolf said:

On golden circle tour today as well!  Sun was out for falls; great tour!  Also arrived on Icelandairs IAD-KEF flight; advice if NOT in SAGA class beware that NO restaurants are open in IAD terminal.  SAGA also gives you access to Air France lounge as well as decent food and beverage service onboard!

The restaurants in the Main Terminal at IAD are currently closed. Only a small deli is open on the Lower Level. The Icelandair counter is open for check-in at 5:00 pm. Icelandair uses Gate A15 which is conveniently right where you come up from the shuttle train. There are a number of fast food restaurants down at Gate A45 and they are open past the scheduled departure of FI644.

• Thanks 1

On 7/16/2021 at 12:56 PM, philw1776 said:

Doubtful. Saw close to zero locals wearing masks on our 3 July cruise. 

That is because mask wearing is not required in Iceland -- nor is social distancing.

We had one guide tell our bus that mask wearing was not required on the tour.

4 hours ago, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

I know Peregrina did that one.  Maybe she'll see this and comment. 

LOVED IT! It was just what I was looking for -- a smattering of different bits of science and nature with plenty of time to enjoy them. Much, much better than the Reykjanes Peninsula tour which I though was a complete waste of time. It is a bit of a drive from the ship to the Myvatn area, but a beautiful one -- in that ruggedly Iceland kind of way.

Most everything was walkable. The only steps that I remember were at Skútustadir (the pseudo-craters) -- it was also our lunch stop (at the Sel Hotel), so if you didn't want to do the walk, you could check out the information center or go across the street and check out the souvenir shop next to the hotel until lunch was read.  We did a little of both.

BTW, there is an ice cream stand behind the hotel. I didn't know about it and did not leave enough time after lunch to check it out. Those who did said it was worth it.

With this tour, what you read is what you get -- although not necessarily in this order -- but everything is fairly close together so it doesn't matter if you start with Godafoss or end with it.

Godafoss Falls and Mývatn Lake

Discover the stunning landscape and natural treasures of northern Iceland.

Travel by motor coach along the coast of Eyjafjördur—Iceland’s longest fjord—and take in stunning views of Akureyri and the surrounding mountains. Journey through the Fnjóskadalur Valley to the majestic Godafoss waterfall, named after a pagan priest and chieftain who threw the statues of the pagan gods he once worshipped after converting to Christianity in the year 1000 AD. Your next stop is the Mývatn volcanic lake area, pausing by the impressive craters at Skútustadir along the way. You will also visit the towering lava castles and grottoes of the Dimmuborgir lava labyrinth, and experience the geothermal wonder of hot sulfuric mud springs and gurgling sulphur cauldrons at Námaskard. After a wonderful day in nature, return to your awaiting ship.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, eldercruser1 said:

Lots of time on the bus.

It can't be helped. It is 122km from the ship to Gullfoss on the shortest route. Its at least an hour and half to get there, no matter what.

image.png.fd794ce9c3738c55c3321e361e4099b8.png

We did Golden Circle with GrayLine after we disembarked the ship. It was magnificent. It was cool to walk between those two big chunks of rocks and realize that what I was looking at was the edge of two different continent-sized hunks of rock--and that these two hunks of rock are actually moving. Just freaky to think about. And I have never seen a geyser before.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

LOVED IT! It was just what I was looking for -- a smattering of different bits of science and nature with plenty of time to enjoy them. Much, much better than the Reykjanes Peninsula tour which I though was a complete waste of time. It is a bit of a drive from the ship to the Myvatn area, but a beautiful one -- in that ruggedly Iceland kind of way.

Most everything was walkable. The only steps that I remember were at Skútustadir (the pseudo-craters) -- it was also our lunch stop (at the Sel Hotel), so if you didn't want to do the walk, you could check out the information center or go across the street and check out the souvenir shop next to the hotel until lunch was read.  We did a little of both.

BTW, there is an ice cream stand behind the hotel. I didn't know about it and did not leave enough time after lunch to check it out. Those who did said it was worth it.

With this tour, what you read is what you get -- although not necessarily in this order -- but everything is fairly close together so it doesn't matter if you start with Godafoss or end with it.

Godafoss Falls and Mývatn Lake

Discover the stunning landscape and natural treasures of northern Iceland.

Travel by motor coach along the coast of Eyjafjördur—Iceland’s longest fjord—and take in stunning views of Akureyri and the surrounding mountains. Journey through the Fnjóskadalur Valley to the majestic Godafoss waterfall, named after a pagan priest and chieftain who threw the statues of the pagan gods he once worshipped after converting to Christianity in the year 1000 AD. Your next stop is the Mývatn volcanic lake area, pausing by the impressive craters at Skútustadir along the way. You will also visit the towering lava castles and grottoes of the Dimmuborgir lava labyrinth, and experience the geothermal wonder of hot sulfuric mud springs and gurgling sulphur cauldrons at Námaskard. After a wonderful day in nature, return to your awaiting ship.

After our lunch on the July 10 cruise I visited the ice cream shop behind the hotel and had a cup of caramel latte ice cream.   It is made on site from the milk of the cows on site.  It was wonderful and I recomend it highly.  It was 800 ISK (About $6.50 US) for two large scoops.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

We were told that the flashing is when it is uploading info. Didn’t ever seem to be a rhyme or reason to when or how long it flashed. I was told that if it turns red that indicates a low battery. Oh, and it it starts blinking like a disco floor and plays “oops I did it again” by Brittany Spears-it means you’ve tested positive and to go immediately to throw yourself overboard 😂

That song would definitely make me want to throw myself overboard.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, NCbigred said:

Clay - We are from Cary NC and will be cruising on the Viking Sky embarking on August 14 (our 50th wedding anniversary!).  Can you share your bottom line summary opinion of the cruise?  Sounds like there have been some hiccups along the way.  We have visited Iceland briefly in past as layover on our way to Spain.  Thanks, Scott

We are in the 21st also celebrating 50 years. Enjoy!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ruimin said:

Thanks everyone for all the great info, has anyone stayed in a hotel in Reykjavik?  Any recommendations? Thanks so much! 
ruimin

We stayed one night at the Skuggi Hotel and it was priced comparatively. Two things that we liked were easy walking to Old Reykjavik using a circle route, and easy location coming from the airport. We used Flybus to the BSI bus terminal, a short walk through the building to the opposite side to the Green Zone minibus, and dropped us at #9 Snorrabraut bus stop. It was only about 300 feet walking with our bags.

On embarkation day, it was about $20.00 USD for the cab to the ship and 6-8 minutes drive.

Jack

Edited by Heartgrove
  • Like 1