LIVE from "Iceland's Natural Beauty" -- All Sailings, 2021

Peregrina651

14 hours ago, Margigarcia said:

Hey travelers,

did you have any knowledge of quarantined shipmates?

that is our biggest fear-missing out on the fun, stuck in our cabin.

thoughts??

thanks

sept 7 sail date

I documented our experience here. To me being quarantined and have trip interruption is the biggest risk.  I know of short and long quarantines. 

16 hours ago, NeilP57 said:

Live from Sky before signing off for this trip and handing over to those fortunate to follow. 

We did the rib trip today which was fun. It was not as adventurous as other rib trips we had done and the actual boat trip element was only one hour. We saw plenty of puffins and other sea birds and a wonderful close up of the steep sided cliffs and caves of the local islands. 

I am not sure we really saw the lava flows mentioned in the tour description but we could see them from where Viking Sky was at anchor in the bay. 

All the forms are filled in and we have a 6:00am departure for a 10:10am flight to London. So hopefully back home for mid afternoon. 

Looking forward to rejoining Viking again next year for our Homelands cruise deferred from this year but we may sneak in one week river cruise (possibly Douro in Portugal) later this year, all depending on UK travel restrictions. 

Thus trip has been great fun and well worth the effort and expense of pre and post testing required by UK and Icelandic government but we will only travel abroad again when it is easier to do than it has been this time. 

Signing off from Live on Viking Sky. Looking forward to reading of future travellers blogs. 

One last request, those posts that relate to the Live thread please post away. 

Those post that relate to the General thread that’s a great home for general comments on the Iceland trip. 

not TTFN but OAA (over and out!)0

It is 3.30pm in the Cotswolds on Saturday afternoon, Neil, and I assume you are home now.  I hope hour journey was smooth and event free and all the paperwork was satisfactory.   We are a bit shocked that we will be leaving the ship so early in the morning!   Thanks for all your posts.  Judith.

2 hours ago, Jay23 said:

It is 3.30pm in the Cotswolds on Saturday afternoon, Neil, and I assume you are home now.  I hope hour journey was smooth and event free and all the paperwork was satisfactory.   We are a bit shocked that we will be leaving the ship so early in the morning!   Thanks for all your posts.  Judith.

Hi Judith, indeed we are home in the Cotswolds.  Heathrow was a breeze, we were pulling out of the car park in less than an hour after landing. The e-gates were all working and that was the only check we went through at Heathrow. 

At the airport check in at KEF they checked our negative test result from the ship as well as the UK passenger locator form that was on our phones. 

At KEF do not join the long line which all our American friends join but there is a small sign for the British Airways desk which opened shortly after we got there. It is near where the line (sorry I meant to say queue)  for the American flight ends with the Delta desks. 

There is also another long line at the Icelandic border that you need to pass through between security and the international departure gates, so don’t leave it to late to move to the gate. There are still some places to get coffee etc after this border gate. 

Hope this helps. Safe travels.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, readsalot said:

Hello All,

We would be interested in hearing about any special drinks or cocktails offered with Silver Spirits that you enjoyed. We usually drink wine, but may try something new.

Thanks!

Lynne

There is a really good choice of wines available by the glass for when you want wine but I particularly enjoy the Planters Punch cocktail but I always asked them to add another shot of dark rum as this made all the difference!  

The drinks menu contains some cocktails and standard mixes but if you can name it they will normally make it for you. 

• Like 1

On 8/6/2021 at 1:23 PM, superwife said:

We are taking the August 24th cruise and can't wait.  

Took the "Into the Midnight Sun" cruise in 2018.  Also the Danube Christmas cruise before lockdown.  I can't remember what the suggested tour guide, bus driver, overall guide tips should be.  I want to be sure to have the cash.  Does the ship have change for dollars?

This blog has been great.  Thanks to everyone for their input.

Ship has change for dollars. Lots of one dollar bills. 

• Like 1

Reporting live from Jupiter. We're in Seydisfjordur 8 AM to 11 PM.  Another very fun day. I took Elves tour to see puffins and boy did we see puffins....close up. But they may be leaving soon now. As described, there was a lot of time on the coach but it was broken up well. After hour stopped for bathrooms and shopping...very nice, artsy things. Then did some elf looking, climbing elf hill for views, had a great lunch, then to see puffins. Good amount of walking for whole excursion but you don't have to do all of it if don't want. Ride from Seydi to Egillsstad (spelling?) was over a mountain on a not fabulous road but driver got us there fine. Came back on same road with heavy fog...whew! Stopped at Gudafoss (sp?) waterfall for 5 minutes. It's just out of town. Rained a bit but not hard. Guide was excellent throughout whole day. I then stayed out to see the cute town of Seydi. Drizzly but easy to get there from dock in 10 or 15 minutes tops 10 and fun to look at old houses, rainbow street, etc. Spouse went on Scenic Drive and Wartime Museum tour. We then went to the Dome for planetarium show with 3d glasses. Must book in advance, free. Shows range from 20 to 45 minutes. 

No tips come to mind except maybe that there is a gangway elevator button that is helpful. Often you leave the ship on Deck A, but it can vary, so the button helps you get there. Oh, and for excursions meeting in theater, go in on left side to get bus number, then sit in theater until your number is called. You must have a bus numbet! Go out right side.

Nothing to complain about, although we got the dreaded disembarkation letter this evening...knew it would be early with 45 minute drive to airport, intl flights, Covid, etc. But meeting at 5:15 for our 9:30 flight is brutal!

Tomorrow we tender. That's always a little bit challenging/time consuming, but sometimes it's necessary. I'm doing ice lagoon zodiac trip...quite new for me. Excited. Spouse is relaxing.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, NeilP57 said:

Hi Judith, indeed we are home in the Cotswolds.  Heathrow was a breeze, we were pulling out of the car park in less than an hour after landing. The e-gates were all working and that was the only check we went through at Heathrow. 

At the airport check in at KEF they checked our negative test result from the ship as well as the UK passenger locator form that was on our phones. 

At KEF do not join the long line which all our American friends join but there is a small sign for the British Airways desk which opened shortly after we got there. It is near where the line (sorry I meant to say queue)  for the American flight ends with the Delta desks. 

There is also another long line at the Icelandic border that you need to pass through between security and the international departure gates, so don’t leave it to late to move to the gate. There are still some places to get coffee etc after this border gate. 

Hope this helps. Safe travels.  

Glad it all went well Neil.   WE have just completed our VERIFLY forms..  This was a palaver!  The Vax card did not have Alec's name on it!  He had to repeat the entry all over again.  The date of birth was queried but in the end after about five goes it was all accepted and we are "good to go".  Your information about the queues at KEF, very helpful indeed.  The weather here has been dreadful, I hope yours has been better!

Regards. Judith and Alec.

13 hours ago, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

Reporting live from Jupiter. We're in Seydisfjordur 8 AM to 11 PM.  Another very fun day. I took Elves tour to see puffins and boy did we see puffins....close up. But they may be leaving soon now. As described, there was a lot of time on the coach but it was broken up well. After hour stopped for bathrooms and shopping...very nice, artsy things. Then did some elf looking, climbing elf hill for views, had a great lunch, then to see puffins. Good amount of walking for whole excursion but you don't have to do all of it if don't want. Ride from Seydi to Egillsstad (spelling?) was over a mountain on a not fabulous road but driver got us there fine. Came back on same road with heavy fog...whew! Stopped at Gudafoss (sp?) waterfall for 5 minutes. It's just out of town. Rained a bit but not hard. Guide was excellent throughout whole day. I then stayed out to see the cute town of Seydi. Drizzly but easy to get there from dock in 10 or 15 minutes tops 10 and fun to look at old houses, rainbow street, etc. Spouse went on Scenic Drive and Wartime Museum tour. We then went to the Dome for planetarium show with 3d glasses. Must book in advance, free. Shows range from 20 to 45 minutes. 

No tips come to mind except maybe that there is a gangway elevator button that is helpful. Often you leave the ship on Deck A, but it can vary, so the button helps you get there. Oh, and for excursions meeting in theater, go in on left side to get bus number, then sit in theater until your number is called. You must have a bus numbet! Go out right side.

Nothing to complain about, although we got the dreaded disembarkation letter this evening...knew it would be early with 45 minute drive to airport, intl flights, Covid, etc. But meeting at 5:15 for our 9:30 flight is brutal!

Tomorrow we tender. That's always a little bit challenging/time consuming, but sometimes it's necessary. I'm doing ice lagoon zodiac trip...quite new for me. Excited. Spouse is relaxing.

Checkin at the airport took a couple of hours (standing in line at Delta) for us.  Bring something to do on your phone, like a crossword, podcast, whatever, to keep you entertained. That was a few weeks ago but maybe they have improved.  The only people that checked in quickly were business class. 

23 minutes ago, Msgolferfhcc said:

Packing for 8/17 sailing. On the coldest day, did anyone really need fleece top under  rain jacket?  Layers are good I know, just trying to lighten the carryon. Maybe the light thermal undies would suffice?

By the time we got out to the fjord opening, I was wearing everything we had (except the rain pants) on the day we went whale watching in Akureyri. However I didn’t have any thermal undies.  I wore a tshirt, a thermal-ish Henley, a fleece pullover, a rain jacket (unlined), hat and gloves. We had no rain. DMIL was wearing similar except her raincoat was lined.  

E9445486-1741-4684-866F-0D168A40BB69.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Msgolferfhcc said:

Packing for 8/17 sailing. On the coldest day, did anyone really need fleece top under  rain jacket?  Layers are good I know, just trying to lighten the carryon. Maybe the light thermal undies would suffice?

We wore all our warmest things on a few days. We didn’t have long underwear but fleece under puffy coats and fleece pants /long socks. It’s cold if windy or rain.  We went on July 13 Jupiter 

D6E322FF-FEF2-4457-97B6-6883DA13EA95.jpeg

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Msgolferfhcc said:

Maybe the light thermal undies would suffice?

I listened to all the folks that had nice weather so took out my extra fleece and heavier rain coat... guess what my first two souveniers were?  Fleece and heavier raincoat. Love them, but still was kicking myself for taking the items out of my suitcase at the last minute. I wore long sleeves and at least fleece most of the time. Did not use my short sleeves or shorts. The weather is all over the place... plan for the worst and hope for the best! (Also on Jupiter July 13)

Edited by minka34
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 8/5/2021 at 3:13 AM, bardstowntraveller said:

Currently onboard Jupiter. A couple of pieces of advice. If you connect through Minneapolis, take the tram between terminals. We started to walk because we didn’t realize how far it was and would have missed our flight if an employee in a cart hadn’t driven us

Second tip, take your iPhone charging cord with you on your excursions. The buses have USB ports. Several people on our Golden Circle tour had dead phones/cameras before excursion ended

We haven’t had the best of weather. Drizzly weather everyday. Glad we brought and wore rain suits

Can you post a link to the type of rain suits you chose?

Is the weather really worse than sitting in a tree stand hunting deer in below 0 weather?  I plan to take jeans, long johns, sock liners, long sleeve mock turtle neck tops, fleece vest that I wore in Alaska, golf rain pants, gloves, rain hat, ear coverings, and lined rain jacket.

If that  isn't sufficient I better stay on the ship.  I really appreciate everyone sharing information on what they packed and wore.

Small arrival tip, though maybe this was covered before but it was surprise to me. Arrived KEF this morning, (for Jupiter 8/10). At KEF, first line is immigration. They want passport and barcode only. Second line (brief) is leaving luggage area where they want barcode only. Finally, once out of customs and almost out the door there is a third very official line where they want passport, barcode AND Covid vaccination cards.  I, of course, had put things away after each step thinking that was it. So keep them out.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

4 hours ago, patchicago said:

Jupiter 8/3 sailing

Day 6 Djúpivogur. We tendered to the pier. There’s a restaurant you can see from the dock that serves a very yummy seafood soup. Good fish and chips too! The restaurant is called Vid Voginn.

72126415-31D1-422B-ACC5-78705EEFCC4B.jpeg

2A4AB492-9BFA-4A6D-BA1B-290092894681.jpeg

Do you know how many passengers are on the ship?  Anybody in Quarrantine? 

Jupiter 8/3
I’ve read that some enjoyed the musical talents of Guillermo, the guitarist aboard Sky. I’d like to point out that the resident guitarist aboard Jupiter, Alan, is also quite talented. If you’re aboard Jupiter please find Alan and request your favorite song!

F474AD7E-C887-4E82-86AF-117E8C86F6DB.jpeg

2685F771-E599-4091-84DF-7F7F25BA61F0.jpeg

4 hours ago, kate7047 said:

Small arrival tip, though maybe this was covered before but it was surprise to me. Arrived KEF this morning, (for Jupiter 8/10). At KEF, first line is immigration. They want passport and barcode only. Second line (brief) is leaving luggage area where they want barcode only. Finally, once out of customs and almost out the door there is a third very official line where they want passport, barcode AND Covid vaccination cards.  I, of course, had put things away after each step thinking that was it. So keep them out.

How long did it take for you to get to the ship? And were you allowed to leave the ship on your own?

I know one can’t take outside tours, but are you being allowed to wander on your own? It’s unclear from some posts but those might have been in the transition phase of going back to bubble. Viking did tell me much earlier we can wander Reykjavik prior to checking in. But the some of the other towns where we are only taking the included leave a lot of the day open. Just curious, we’ll follow the rules without a problem, hot toddy in hand!