LIVE from "Iceland's Natural Beauty" -- All Sailings, 2021

Peregrina651

3 minutes ago, sinsonte said:

Thanks for your very thorough descriptions.  I am on the same flights you took out of/return to Dulles but got Viking to change the return trip to Icelandair to avoid extra plane/airport time and domestic flight with unvaccinated/untested passengers.

Good job on getting Icelandair back.  Kind of wished we had.  Our long day of flying wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, but the Reykjavik to Minneapolis flight WAS packed.  And I almost missed my connection due to a popup carry on inspection carried out by 7 Icelandic security folks!  Between that and 1 hour delay of the Icelandair plane from Boston, we left Iceland 2 hours late, leaving little more than an hour to get luggage, clear immigration/customs/re-do security in Minneapolis.  People going to Dallas had even less time and had to be rerouted by Viking.  We had wheelchair service for my spouse and Global Entry, so made it OK, but it wasn't fun.  

But at least on the Minneapolis to DC flight I was mostly surrounded by local Boy Scouts (Great Falls).  I would like to believe they were all vaccinated, since this area is so pro-vaccine.  But I'm not sure what age the boys were -- guessing 15-18 year old range?   16 year olds can be vaccinated, right?  

7 minutes ago, oldgeez said:

Thanks for this and your previous posts. I just finished packing for today’s flight but forgot that I bought the bug netting last month. 

We had the midges at Gullfoss, Geyser, Dynjandi Waterfall and Lake Myvatn so carry your netting on all excursions.

4 minutes ago, taylorbun1 said:

Not hearing very much about people changing their travel plans because Iceland is now a Level 4 country.  We are on the Aug 31 sailing and were going yesterday morning, but last night we are a big "should we be doing this-no"  Of couse we are devastated that we probaby are not going but, the statistics regarding Covid are not to be forgotten.  Can we get some conversation going here?

Our group of six cabins were slated to go to Bermuda June 15-- and then, when Bermuda went to Level Four and required strictly PCR tests which were near impossible to get in 48 (and then 72) hours, all but one cabin switched to Iceland's 8/24 cruise, since there were no restrictions or testing to go to Iceland except for being full vaccinated.

Now ICELAND is at Level 4 and Bermuda is at level 1.....

Yesterday, as we were at our two-week switch-or-stay date, we had BIG online text discussion of whether to ping-pong again and switch back to Bermuda instead in early September.  We decided that we are weary of canceling and trying to follow these bouncing ball Covid levels-- like trying to catch a butterfly or hummingbird.... so we are all staying on Iceland....

• Like 1

16 hours ago, CruiserDoc said:

Could someone share a copy or screenshot of the Viking Health Survey that is supposed to be emailed to us about one week prior to sailing? We are currently scheduled on one of the Iceland welcome back cruises and, we are considering scheduling to depart for one of the Bermuda cruises two days after we return from the Iceland cruise. I'm wondering if one of the questions is "have you traveled internationally in the past 14 days?"  I have seen that on other questionnaires, and I'm wondering if an answer of yes would not allow us to depart?

I replied to your post yesterday saying you could not do it .... but now here are the good news .... it might be possible!

I had a look at our test results paperwork that we received while on Orion ... the saliva test is SARS-CoV2-RT-PCR (CE-IVD) which is acceptable for the Bermuda Travel Authorization! So you can register for BTA and send the results while still on the Iceland cruise, BUT you must check the test results date - we disembarked on Aug 10 and received the results the day before (Aug 9) mid-morning and the test date was Aug 8. If it turns out to be a day too early you can ask Guest Services to ask the Lab to print out the next day's test results.

This will help you ....

14-210728-RestartPreCruiseRequirement-Bermuda-US-UK-CAN_FINAL.pdf (vikingcruises.com)

BAD NEWS: Internet on Viking can be iffy at the most ... As for the test results you'll need a PDF or photo of it to send to BTA, along with $75 (MC or Visa).

You didn't state which Iceland cruise you're on, and if you are unware of this, the 6 new Bermuda Escape cruises now run Friday to Friday, starting this Friday. Previously it was Tues to Tues.

Good luck! Keep masking up during your travels to and from both ships - the airports and planes are petri dishes with D variant ... Be safe!

13 minutes ago, bluesea777 said:

BAD NEWS: Internet on Viking can be iffy at the most ...

Viking's internet is usually pretty good.  But in Iceland, I had some trouble, especially when the ship was cruising inside a fjord.  However, I found that using one of Viking's 3 computers (deck 1, near Explorer's Desk) made things a LOT better, and you can print things as well.  And I was told that if I wanted to, I could use a thumb drive to view things I had brought from home. They could have their IT person help with that - perhaps virus scan it or whatever. 

Some ports also have wifi, though no printing or computers were available. 

Edited by IWantToLiveOverTheSea
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, taylorbun1 said:

Not hearing very much about people changing their travel plans because Iceland is now a Level 4 country.  We are on the Aug 31 sailing and were going yesterday morning, but last night we are a big "should we be doing this-no"  Of couse we are devastated that we probaby are not going but, the statistics regarding Covid are not to be forgotten.  Can we get some conversation going here?

The CDC should put the US at Level 4 as the increase in cases is about the same and it has lower vaccination rates.

• Like 4

What is Level 4 ?   This is not something we have heard about in the UK?  We are not going until September 7th.

There are 4 of us scheduled to go August 31 Jupiter.  With all I'm reading and with my question about whether our insurance will be good if we defy the CDC guidelines, I'm afraid we are out.  Our last day to cancel is next Tuesday.  It's wait and see right now with what Viking is going to do.  

I'm glad I'm not one of their bean counters who has to make this call.  

3 minutes ago, hodges97 said:

There are 4 of us scheduled to go August 31 Jupiter.  With all I'm reading and with my question about whether our insurance will be good if we defy the CDC guidelines, I'm afraid we are out.  Our last day to cancel is next Tuesday.  It's wait and see right now with what Viking is going to do.  

I'm glad I'm not one of their bean counters who has to make this call.  

I would call your travel insurance phone number and ask  for answers to your particular questions instead of opinions from other posters. 

I just got travel insurance yesterday for my Malta to Barcelona cruise in October. Just read the contract and benefits. I am covered for quarantine, non hospital stay for any sickness certified by doctor. Insurance will pay up to  $250. per day  up to 10 days. 

11 hours ago, Margigarcia said:

Did you have preassigned seats?  We are in coach seats and not with Viking.  I worry with all the difficulties with airlines right now, that we will have problems.  I know we can get seat assignments 24 hours ahead.  We’ve never flown without seats except on Southwest.

What airline. I’m flying Drlta. Get the ap and chose your seats 

We are on August 31 sailing.  There are 4 of us planning to go if ship goes, but 2 cancelled last week.  I personally feel no matter where I am in the world I have to be responsible and look out for myself, even at home.  It appears even in my county I need to be extra cautious.

1 hour ago, gramfrog said:

Our group of six cabins were slated to go to Bermuda June 15-- and then, when Bermuda went to Level Four and required strictly PCR tests which were near impossible to get in 48 (and then 72) hours, all but one cabin switched to Iceland's 8/24 cruise, since there were no restrictions or testing to go to Iceland except for being full vaccinated.

Now ICELAND is at Level 4 and Bermuda is at level 1.....

Yesterday, as we were at our two-week switch-or-stay date, we had BIG online text discussion of whether to ping-pong again and switch back to Bermuda instead in early September.  We decided that we are weary of canceling and trying to follow these bouncing ball Covid levels-- like trying to catch a butterfly or hummingbird.... so we are all staying on Iceland....

Hurricane season in Bermuda in September.  Maybe good decision.

7 minutes ago, BarbRN said:

What airline. I’m flying Drlta. Get the ap and chose your seats 

Also on Delta and I changed all of my seats as I must have an aisle seat not a middle seat due to back/spine issues.  At times I need to stand for a minute or just change positions.  It is really easy to do if you follow Delta directions for changing seats (if any are open for your flight).  Viking had me in center seats and also in a bulkhead seat on one flight.  I think I changed 3 if not all 4 of Vikings seating assignments.  Good Luck.

• Like 1

You have to be realistic about the comparison between traveling to Iceland vs. staying home.  Reactions to this big surge in the US are all over the place.  Some fully vaxed people have gone back to wearing masks everywhere and cutting out any unnecessary potential exposures.  If you're one of those, you shouldn't be going.  Other vaxed folks in the US have completely gone back to their pre-pandemic lifestyles, even during this big surge.  If you fail into that category, travel to Iceland shouldn't be a problem for you.

3 minutes ago, jtwind said:

You have to be realistic about the comparison between traveling to Iceland vs. staying home.  Reactions to this big surge in the US are all over the place.  Some fully vaxed people have gone back to wearing masks everywhere and cutting out any unnecessary potential exposures.  If you're one of those, you shouldn't be going.  Other vaxed folks in the US have completely gone back to their pre-pandemic lifestyles, even during this big surge.  If you fail into that category, travel to Iceland shouldn't be a problem for you.

I'm one of those people who is fully vaxxed, never stopped wearing a mask and have continued to avoid any unnecessary potential exposures. I'm accustomed to living in a bubble. Going to Iceland means I'll be in a different, more beautiful bubble. 

If Viking cancels my trip, then I'll unpack and only then.

• Like 11

There a 6 of us going on the Aug 17 Jupiter sailing.  None of us has even thought of cancelling.  One statistic I would like to see is of the vaccinated breakthrough cases - how many were people who had other issues or are immun-compromised?   Also, if you look at the stats on Covid.is, almost all the cases are domestic, with only 5 out of 100,000 at the at the border for the rolling 14 day average.  The Viking Bubble is about the safest place you can be.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, taylorbun1 said:

We are on the same sailing and discussed with our travel companions and have decided to proceed with the trip, unless Viking or Iceland cancel our entry into Iceland...

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, KarNog said:

I'm accustomed to living in a bubble. Going to Iceland means I'll be in a different, more beautiful bubble. 

If Viking cancels my trip, then I'll unpack and only then.

If that's really the way you think it is, you're good to go.

But first, you have to go outside your current bubble, take the parking shuttle to the airport, sit in crowded indoor terminals for hours, sit on crowded planes for hours, etc., etc.

Then, just declaring that you're in a safe new bubble doesn't really work.  All of the people in your new "bubble" have had totally different exposures to you, and the virus will take several days to develop.  Maybe after about 10 days with no positives, congratulations, you got yourselves a bubble.

Some will be comfortable with this situation, some won't.  Ignorance is bliss.  On the other hand, statistics are in our favor.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jtwind said:

If that's really the way you think it is, you're good to go.

But first, you have to go outside your current bubble, take the parking shuttle to the airport, sit in crowded indoor terminals for hours, sit on crowded planes for hours, etc., etc.

Then, just declaring that you're in a safe new bubble doesn't really work.  All of the people in your new "bubble" have had totally different exposures to you, and the virus will take several days to develop.  Maybe after about 10 days with no positives, congratulations, you got yourselves a bubble.

Some will be comfortable with this situation, some won't.  Ignorance is bliss.  On the other hand, statistics are in our favor.

No airport shuttlefor me. Yes, the airport in Denver is an issue but otherwise, I'll be on a direct fight with other fully vaccinated, negative testing travelers. I'll be fine. Or not. But it's a risk I'm perfectly willing to take. Thanks for your concern, but I don't consider myself ignorant on the subject. Blissful, yes.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Wander58 said:

Also, if you look at the stats on Covid.is, almost all the cases are domestic, with only 5 out of 100,000 at the at the border for the rolling 14 day average.

The vast majority of people in Iceland are locals.

1 minute ago, hodges97 said:

My worry now is that there will be issues next year that will prevent us from using the vouchers.  

My concern is that at our age we may not be Capable of traveling next year depending on health issues. We say go while you can nobody ever knows.

• Like 4

If statistics matter in the go/no-go decision then the following should make a difference.  Notice that the trend line is going down and by 8/31 (our embarkation date) should be in good shape.  The only troublesome locations will be airports. image.thumb.png.deb6b248c7c272fe9224b3a6592b4f54.png