LIVE from "Iceland's Natural Beauty" -- All Sailings, 2021

Peregrina651

Currently on Jupiter (Aug 10 sailing). Although no system is perfect, I have to say being on a ship where we know everyone is vaccinated and being tested daily sure feels about as safe as it gets. Compared to being home and going to the grocery store where you have no idea who is unvaccinated or otherwise behaving badly this is VERY reassuring. 

ps. We where having trouble getting a PCR test (before we learned antigen tests were accepted) and we found a CVS who does NAAT (molecular like PCR) tests in 30 min. They billed our insurance. Accepted without a problem. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, BarbRN said:

My concern is that at our age we may not be Capable of traveling next year depending on health issues. We say go while you can nobody ever knows.

Exactly. It’s been two years since we cruised, and have missed three trips. Our energy levels and ease of walking and sitting are not the same. We will go now if the ship sails.

Lynne

• Like 3

Just now, readsalot said:

Exactly. It’s been two years since we cruised, and have missed three trips. Our energy levels and ease of walking and sitting are not the same. We will go now if the ship sails.

Lynne

I have missed 4 sailings and also plan to go if ship sails.

Grace

2 hours ago, miaf said:

You don't need a PCR test. You can get a rapid antigen test at Walgreens/CVS/etc... and have the result within hours.

Most airports have testing with results within minutes or hours. The rapid antigen test is!$65 and you get it in less than 30 minutes. The pcr is pricey at $250 with results done quickly.  

3 hours ago, sinsonte said:

If statistics matter in the go/no-go decision then the following should make a difference.  Notice that the trend line is going down and by 8/31 (our embarkation date) should be in good shape.  The only troublesome locations will be airports. image.thumb.png.deb6b248c7c272fe9224b3a6592b4f54.png

Thank you for some actual data

• Like 1

So I'm sitting here right now in Explorer Lounge listening to Alan play guitar and thought I would try to catch up on some of these posts. I'm on 8/10 Jupiter. My martini is dry, my flight was boring (good!) and the tour today was fine. I stressed over cancelling but we went.

Honestly I am not personally worried about getting (very) sick because the vaccine is doing its job (!) Getting quarantined would suck. But honestly, I am just not feeling threatened here. Passengers and tourists are vaccinated and I haven't interacted much with locals. Wore N95 one plane. The ship is spotless. We spit in the tube and mask and all that stuff. And as we sailed out of Reykjavik tonight I practically cried, I was SO happy to be out again. God bless. Do what you need to do, but this is great!!!!

• Like 17

59 minutes ago, Wander58 said:

From someone on the ship.  Refer to post #2417.

We know one couple who were quarantined due to contact tracing for 5 days on our sailing July 13 with negative covid tests all along.  While it seems most contacts have not had this happen, we aren't sure why this couple was singled out.  Maybe Viking has got their act together since then. 

Edited by Doc who loves to travel
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, kate7047 said:

So I'm sitting here right now in Explorer Lounge listening to Alan play guitar and thought I would try to catch up on some of these posts. I'm on 8/10 Jupiter. My martini is dry, my flight was boring (good!) and the tour today was fine. I stressed over cancelling but we went.

Honestly I am not personally worried about getting (very) sick because the vaccine is doing its job (!) Getting quarantined would suck. But honestly, I am just not feeling threatened here. Passengers and tourists are vaccinated and I haven't interacted much with locals. Wore N95 one plane. The ship is spotless. We spit in the tube and mask and all that stuff. And as we sailed out of Reykjavik tonight I practically cried, I was SO happy to be out again. God bless. Do what you need to do, but this is great!!!!

Hope you have a fantastic & worry free (& covid free) cruise!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Snit13 said:

How many of you posting on this thread are booked on the August 31 Jupiter cruise?  I have the names of those who posted on the Roll Call but I see some new names I don't think I recognize.  I am accustomed the the Roll Calls for Celebrity and Royal Caribbean where we normally get together to meet the cruisers we have exchanged posts with on CC.

what is roll call....

1 hour ago, geologyrx said:

Concerning tipping....did you tip in Euros or the Icelandic currency?

I did USD because I didn't bring any ISK (krona) with me. I just used my credit card for most purchases and I even bought some souvenirs using USD which some locals accepted (e.g. lava jewelry in Reykjavik through local street vendor)

5 hours ago, Ellistravels said:

I’m still working on how to best get my PCR covid test for entering Iceland.  It seems most results from PCR test come back 36-72 hours after testing BUT you have to test no more than 72 hours before your flight departure.  I will be sitting on the airport steps watching my phone for my test results (lol).  I would appreciate any ideas on how others accomplished this.  Perhaps everyone used rapid tests but I’m considering that those might be disallowed soon.  Did anyone use the test kits where you have an online proctor monitor your self test and then give you your results via an app?  Stay safe and thank you.

If you have a Quest Diagnostics in your area, check what their website says about their testing.  We used them for a PCR test that was marketed as having a one to two day turnaround.  Of course there wasn't a whole lot of info on whether that included weekend days or not, and whether they actually guaranteed that timeframe. However, it did state that they usually got the samples to the testing lab the same day you're tested, and that many results come back within 24 hours.   So it sounded good but not failsafe to me.  They had plenty of appointments available as long as you booked a day or more in advance, plus they take walkins. We got tested around 11 AM on a Saturday and got the results around 9 AM on Monday.  Our flight to Iceland was Monday night.  Quest emails the results, and I believe they require a doctor's order for testing.  (I provided one because I thought they did; but am not positive it was required.)  Quest billed my insurance and as far as I know, my insurance will pay, or if not, it will be paid by the federal government. The test was nasal, self-administered with a lab technician watching and instructing us. It was quick and painless.  I printed it out to take to the airport.

So if you have a Quest nearby, you may want to give them a try.  

3 hours ago, Wander58 said:

From someone on the ship.  Refer to post #2417.

Yes, I know.  I was hoping that Viking's protocol now was to not quarantine anyone who tests negative regardless of who they were near.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Doc who loves to travel said:

We know one couple who were quarantined due to contact tracing for 5 days on our sailing July 13 with negative covid tests all along.  While it seems most contacts have not had this happen, we aren't sure why this couple was singled out.  Maybe Viking has got their act together since then. 

Sure hope so.  To me it doesn't make sense to quarantine people that test negative.  Aren't we supposed to be following the science?  Negative means negative.  Viking tests everyone every day.  If someone tests positive, I get it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The science is that you can get infected and not show positive on the test (or show any symptoms) for several days. Makes sense to quarantine 

for very close contacts (like cabin mates) that have a high probability of contracting the disease. Doesn't make sense for more incidental contact.

• Like 1

On 8/10/2021 at 7:31 AM, Snit13 said:

We did independent touring in Japan but the guides certainly accepted tips in China when we were there in 1985.  Maybe things have changed.

We were in Japan November 2019, and tipping certainly was not turned down!